SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stargazing Live 2017 coming from....

alanjgreen

... Australia!

https://en-gb.facebook.com/StargazingLive/

obviously Cox and O'Briain must be short of air miles. Coming live during the new moon so looks like one to record and view on fast forward later :( (again)

- Time difference doesn't seem to add up either (for live stargazing that is), skies will just brightening before sunrise.

Found some meat for the bones here...

https://rts.org.uk/article/bbc-unveils-ambitious-science-shows-2017

where it says...

Professor Brian Cox and Dara O Briain are taken from London to the other side of the world for an astonishing stargazing experience in the Australian Outback.

The duo will spend three nights with more than 40 telescopes on a mountain in the heart of Australia, home to the Siding Spring Observatory, which delivers the world's best view of our galaxy. 

Cox and O Briain will share stories of Aboriginal astronomy, the meteorite bounty-hunters searching for space rocks in the Australian bush and debate the threat of the black hole that could one day consume our galaxy, all under the spectacular view of the Milky Way at its most revealing time in March.

The Australian outback is the perfect setting for discussions of the universe, earth-like planets and why everything looks upside down, down under. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems a bit irrelevant to us in the UK.

I have not bothered with the last 2 and I seriously suspect I will not bother with this one much.

Suppose it will not be worse then a 3 day build up to a 2 minute long clouded out solar eclipse.

Really get the impression that the BBC have lost the plot.

More irrelevance.

As ronin says, the beeb have lost the plot here.

Is there no joined-up thinking at the beeb? After all, if they can do Spring / Autumn / Winter Watch then why can't they do "Star-Watch" similarly? 

I may watch if it's cloudy /irony/

34 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Long way to go for clear skies :grin:

Dave

Dobmobs next outing!...looking at DSO's in the Aussie outback boring?....you lot want to have a word with yourselves...perhaps we could catch a glimpse of Jupiter for a change..Zzzzzzz

4 minutes ago, DaveS said:

More irrelevance.

As ronin says, the beeb have lost the plot here.

Is there no joined-up thinking at the beeb? After all, if they can do Spring / Autumn / Winter Watch then why can't they do "Star-Watch" similarly? 

I may watch if it's cloudy /irony/

Would be interesting market research to establish if there are more viewers interested in astronomy/space or wildlife/nature - though instinct suggests that latter.  From a production standpoint wildlife/nature is easier and more reliable to capture, and is a broadcast subject that viewers can more easily connect and interact with.  

Goes back to threads complaining about SGL and SAN, but with no real objective input as to what such shows should cover or depict - what is it about 'doing astronomy' that should be covered and broadcast?

I guess they are fed up with the cloudy weather they always have with every series. I cannot recall it ever being clear for more than a few minutes anywhere they have visited!

If they discuss the southern hemisphere skies in more detail then that would be of interest, the location will be spectacular. They may even have some live views of DSO's

The timing doesn't really both me as I tend to watch it on catch up.

I know a lot of people don't necessary like the format of Star Gazing Live but I am always happy to watch something Astronomy related rather than yet another cooking program.

^^^....yes people moan about lack of it on telly or things shown on the programmes....at least its on!...really guys give it a chance and as droogie says the cloud tends to kill it sometimes so they are trying another slant on it, whats wrong with that?

Not sure how it fits in with the BBC remit, at least when it's located in the UK budding astronomers know what to expect.

Children being treated to "ooo look, a live telescope view of a galaxy millions of light years away " will no doubt be disappointed if they get a telescope for birthday / Christmas and look at the same thing using something a few meters smaller.

Sounds like a nice program in it's own right but it's not Stargazing Live as it was originally conceived.

They could have just gone to Southern Europe in search of clearer skies, at least it would still be in the same time zone.

Dave

3 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Children being treated to "ooo look, a live telescope view of a galaxy millions of light years away " will no doubt be disappointed if they get a telescope for birthday / Christmas and look at the same thing using something a few meters smaller.

but its not aimed at children that's on Cbeebies....

6 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Sounds like a nice program in it's own right but it's not Stargazing Live as it was originally conceived

not sure how it was originally conceived but mixing it up a bit can't do any harm?

I love the idea of it coming from the Southern Hemisphere. I have never travelled down under, but have always wondered what the skies are like down there. So, hopefully I will get some idea of what goes on. I am sure that there will be plenty of links back to the UK too so that we can see the likes of Pete Lawrence standing in a cloudy field drowned in light pollution!

I say 'well done, Aunty, it will be an interesting change'!!

Perhaps in 2018 it will be from the ISS or The Moon?!!?

Im sure it will be well worth watching as an astronomy program, not many of those around, just don't see why it's instead of Stargazing Live.

As an aside I wonder where BC goes for his holidays, fishing in Yorkshire maybe ?

Dave

Just now, bejay1957 said:

But how many people here complained about SGL series 6 when it extensively featured the ISS and Tim Peake's mission...

No idea.  Not me though, I loved every single second of it I have to say :icon_biggrin:

Archived