NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Silver needle galaxy

alan4908

My first go at the Silver Needle galaxy and I had quite low expectations given the small size of this object in my field of view.

Anyway, I was quite pleased with the result, even getting a little galaxy colour and few details.

For those that might be interested, I applied a variety of sharpening techniques to the galaxy: deconvolution (CCDstack), Unsharp mask, High Pass filter (PS) and HDRMultiscale Transform (Pixinsight). The Pixinsight route was particularly effective in revealing the details of the galaxy.

The images below represent 8.5 hours integration time. 

Alan

NGC4244 (uncropped)

15. Final uncropped.jpg

NGC4244 (cropped)

14. Final crop.jpg

LIGHTS: L:17; R:12; G:9: B: 13 x 600s; DARKS: 30; BIAS: 100; FLATS: 40 all at -20C. 

3 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

Very nice image. Well done! :) 

3 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Lovely shot!

2 hours ago, swag72 said:

That's looking good :) Well done :)

2 hours ago, Nova2000 said:

Awesome image! Like it. 

12 minutes ago, simmo39 said:

lovely image.

Thanks for all comments guys, which are much appreciated ! :hello:

Alan

2 hours ago, gnomus said:

like it too.  I think I prefer the uncropped version - seeing this vast object in the starfield gives an impression pf how far away it is....  I think...

Thanks Steve.  

Personally, I'm not sure which version I like best. I like the cropped version since it reveals the galaxy detail a little better but I also like the uncropped version since it gives a better perspective of the galaxy in relation to everything else..... maybe that is why I decided to post two versions. :happy11:

Alan

2 hours ago, gorann said:

Nice detail in the galaxy! I assume you did this with your Evostar 80ED, so it must be a rather big galaxy. I never tried it but you put it on my list.

Hi Gorann

Thanks for the comment, yes I was surprised about the amount of detail revealed. The image was indeed taken with my Evostar 80ED, imaging at 1.4 seconds/pixel.

The galaxy has a length of about 16 arc minutes, so from that perspective I guess it is quite large, although, of cause, it is also very "thin".:happy11:

Alan

11 hours ago, alan4908 said:

Hi Gorann

Thanks for the comment, yes I was surprised about the amount of detail revealed. The image was indeed taken with my Evostar 80ED, imaging at 1.4 seconds/pixel.

The galaxy has a length of about 16 arc minutes, so from that perspective I guess it is quite large, although, of cause, it is also very "thin".:happy11:

Alan

It just struck me that we are talking about a galaxy here so in any case it will be at least of galactic proportions....

9 hours ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Sharp image (yes I had to say it!) I like the first version the context works better for me, great detail for the scope as well.

Paddy

Yes - very happy about the sharpness.  The Pixinsight route HDR MultiscaleTransform, which I ran in Pixinsight and then brought into Photoshop for blending, really improved the sharpness of the image.  I'm still not sure which version I prefer though !

Alan

11 hours ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Like Gnomus, I really like the widefield and the context of deep space.  Great image Alan.

Thanks Barry.

Interesting, it looks like most people prefer the wide field option. 

Alan 

Archived