Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Camera for astrophotography

andy435

4 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Using dpreview website select both cameras and compare

Doing it right now. The 550D has an edge over 1200D. But all in all they are very similar.

Looks like the 550D is a more popular camera at Astrobin.

Canon 550D, 600D, 650D, 700D, 100D, 1200D have pretty much the same sensor. Of those:

-550D has a 640x480@60fps movie crop mode which is great for planetary without a PC (all Canons with LiveView will do planetary with a PC, but at 20-30fps) - as long as you don't have Jupiter big SCT so it won't fit.

-600D has a 1920x1080 3x zoom video mode, which is an upscaled 1728x972 crop mode @ 30 fps, so a bit less sharp than the 550D (you can see the actual difference here if you scroll down a bit), but bigger FoV so interesting for lunar/solar video.

-600D, 650D, 700D have articulated screen. Depending the usage might be really useful.

-100D is lighter and more compact than the rest, but has been reported to get hotter inside (more thermal noise).

-1200D lacks a mirror lock-up. 

The 550D & 600D are the most interesting IMHO (since, in addition, they are old enough to be low-priced) - hence I own both ;)

Little confused over what modding entails? Some sites for example talk about removing IR filters but adding others etc. Thinking about getting canon 550d body and getting it 'modded' for shots of nebula like orion - any suggestions which modifications should request?

100D is lighter and more compact than the rest, but has been reported to get hotter inside (more thermal noise)....

Ive not heard of that one,are you referring to ampglow? if you look at the spec the 100d has a higher quantum efficiency rating than all the others..have to step up to a 6d to get it any better..

Its the ir filter removal..you can get a baader conversion that you still can use the camera for daylight use..costs abit more..didnt get mine done as it only be for astro work... from juan at cheapastro too..

21 minutes ago, lune lupine said:

Little confused over what modding entails? Some sites for example talk about removing IR filters but adding others etc. Thinking about getting canon 550d body and getting it 'modded' for shots of nebula like orion - any suggestions which modifications should request?

Hi lune lupine, the link above to the Cheap Astrophotography home page outlines the process, removing the filter changes the focus and you can either replace the filter and maintain focus or re-shim.  Auto Focus is not needed for astrophotography.

17 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Neither have a flip out screen so if that was a must I'd get the 600d over the 550d.

While the flip out screen is nice to have, it's not essential.  A way around this problem is to use a USB Cable to hook up to a laptop, and run BackyardEOS.  This will let you control alot of the camera equipment, without looking at the screen on the back of the camera.

On 23/01/2017 at 17:16, newbie alert said:

100D is lighter and more compact than the rest, but has been reported to get hotter inside (more thermal noise)....

Ive not heard of that one,are you referring to ampglow? if you look at the spec the 100d has a higher quantum efficiency rating than all the others..have to step up to a 6d to get it any better..

Its the ir filter removal..you can get a baader conversion that you still can use the camera for daylight use..costs abit more..didnt get mine done as it only be for astro work... from juan at cheapastro too..

That statement is correct, the smaller body causes the ambient temperature within the camera casing to rise faster than other models. So its not amp glow as such as just higher operating temperature. 

I've just bought a minter of a Canon 500D secondhand from Clifton Cameras. Around 6k shutter count and the thing cost me £129.

I'll get it modified (c. £80) so will cost me a little over £200 in total. 

I'm using Nebulosity so niceties such as movable screen are not needed for me.

If I get to where I hope to get to imaging wise I'll upgrade, if life gets in the way (as I fear it might) I'll lose very little of I resell it. 

A modded 500D is capable of far better images than I at the moment!

Cheers..interesting but when i made my choice of camera the reviews i looked at said the 100d had a quantum efficiencey of 43%.. the 600 had 41% a 1200 had 38% and a 550 had 41%..the 6d was 49% and the sony A7 was 65%.. i couldnd afford the 6d or sony..so seemed the next best thing..

I shoot at iso 800 mostly, and wait at least 10mins after using the liveview as ive heard that heats up the sensor..also it not having a separate view finder isnt an issue for me..

Im happy with it...awesome camera..

Its not a bad camera, its just not the lowest noise either, 2% more QE will not be noticeable. I always avoid using live view as much as possible as it does increase the sensor temp horribly even when cooling the camera.  

Archived