NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orion Widefield with Barnard's Loop - HON Palette - WIP

Gina

This is an experiment in filtering.  Ha 3nm and OIII 3nm but NII obtained by subtracting Ha 3nm from Ha 5nm. 

28mm f3.5 Super Takumar lens with ASI1600MM-Cool camera.  98 3nm Ha, 98 5nm Ha and 123 OIII 3nm subs all 60s with gain of 600 and -30C sensor temperature.  All processing in PixInsight then saved in PNG format for upload.  Calibrated with bias and dark master frames but no flats as there was no vignetting with this lens and no dust bunnies seen. 

StarAlignment used to register each set and then to register sets with each other.  DynamicCrop and DBE applied.  NII created by using PixelMath to subtract 3nm Ha from 5nm Ha - I have never tried this before.  PixelMath was then used to create the colour image using Red=H, Green=OIII*2-0.055 and and Blue=N.  Then CurvesTransformation used to pull out the nebulosity and calm the background and stars.

The Rosette Nebula can be seen in the top of the image.  Other DSOs - Barnard's Loop, Angelfish, M42/43, Running Man, Flame and Horse's Head with hydrogen nebulosity.

Orion 28mm lens HON palette.png

Thank you everyone :)

1 hour ago, Allinthehead said:

Nice image Gina. You seem to have amp glow. I'm also using the asi1600 and lately i'm having trouble calibrating out the glow despite using darks. Do you match the number of lights and darks?

I find 80 darks that match the lights in exposure, gain and temperature are quite sufficient.  With the correct use of PixInsight I usually manage to cancel out the amp glow nowadays.  I might have made a mistake today - probably a bit below par due to a cold.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived