Total Solar Eclipse, 1st August, 2008 From China (Gobi Desert)

Jan

Hi everyone

Here are some shots of the Total Eclipse of the Sun, :hello1: taken from the fringes of the Gobi Desert in China.

Cloud obscured first contact, :hello2::clouds1: but it soon cleared and we were able to see an unbroken view of the view. The duration was supposed to be 1 minute and 50 seconds, but I don't believe it, it went so very quick! These views were taken with a Canon 300d with the standard lens. No planning, I just clicked the remote at random and got my best shots of an eclipse ever. I will post some telephoto shots taken with our other camera later. :hello1: :hello1: :hello1:

Jan

7639_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

7638_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Thanks for the comments about the pics. Sorry to learn that many of you were clouded out here in the Uk for the partial. We were just fortunate (Explorers Travellers Party), some of our counterparts encountered more cloud than us even in the desert way out in China. No picture can show what its truly like, this is my third, my first in 1999 was clouded out completely except for a few brief moments around tolality (from France), my next was in Libya in 2006 and now this one. August 1st did not have any sign of the fabled shadow bands that were so prominent in Libya, but the eclipse wind was present. It was late afternoon/early evening where we were which may have prevented the appearance of the shadow bands.

Something that was really noticable was the effect of our shadows. Before totality, looking at a person's shadow, the left side was clearly in focus and well defined, the right blurred and after totality this was reversed. Something we certainly had not noticed before and I hope the picture included here shows it up enough.

Jan

7647_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

7648_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

7649_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

DOH!!!!!! :shock:

"..........looking at a person's shadow, the left side was clearly in focus and well defined, the right blurred and after totality this was reversed".

:oops: SHOULD HAVE READ :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: ..............the left side was blurred before totality and the right in focus.............I'm still suffering from jet lag, is my excuse and sticking to it! :hello2:

Jan

DOH!!!!!! :shock:

"..........looking at a person's shadow, the left side was clearly in focus and well defined, the right blurred and after totality this was reversed".

:oops: SHOULD HAVE READ :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: ..............the left side was blurred before totality and the right in focus.............I'm still suffering from jet lag, is my excuse and sticking to it! :hello2:

Jan

Jetlag eh Jan - I belive you :clouds1:

Great work I hope we will see more at some point.

Did Brian get some good shots as well?

Ed

Archived