NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eyepatch

domstar

Hi, 

I just wondered what the experts out there do with their second eye when they are observing. My natural instinct is to squint but that's not ideal. I thought a pirate's eyepatch would do a decent job and I wanted to know if anyone else does this. Is it the perfect solution or are there disadvantages not confined to spousal ridicule?

Thanks

I tend to either close the unused eye - mainly this, or I view with both open and ignore the "non-viewing" eye.

The knack of having both open came from doing archery, meant I could sight on the target with the dominent eye then switch and follow the arrow after release with the other and I did not move the bow arm too early.

I use one and find it very relaxing not to screw up the other eye. If studying Jupiter , for example, for long periods I find it much less tiring. You can also swap it over to maintain dark adaptation in the observing eye if necessary.

They are cheap so if it doesn't work for you there is not much lost - and ''spousal ridicule' is the best bit! 

I tried using an eyepatch for a while, as I find closing one eye a bit straining, but it was all a bit of a faff - especially as I wear glasses!

I now use a black cloth draped over my head and eyepiece, rather in the fashion of Victorian photograpers, and that works well for me.

Patch here, too, but not always.

As for 'spousal ridicule' Mrs Floater giggles anyhow when she sees me togged up in capacious warm gear with beanie hat and headtorch, etc. The patch just adds to her fun when I do my turn as Captain Hook ... ? O' for ten toes, Jim lad. Har, har.

Thanks everyone. I'll give it a try.It does seem so sensible I wondered if it was normal or if not why not.

3 hours ago, ronin said:

The knack of having both open came from doing archery, meant I could sight on the target with the dominent eye then switch and follow the arrow after release with the other and I did not move the bow arm too early.

That is some serious control over your body.Chapeau.

Eye patch from boots was about £1.25 and very comfortable. I had tried one from a pirate costume, but being made of rigid, cheap, razor sharp plastic meant it was pretty torturous! When observing something, such as the GRS transit for an extended length of time then I use an eye patch. Just remember to take it off your forehead if you're required to go down the chippy to get dinner

I wear glasses and find squinting to be most tiring.  I had put some thought to an eyepatch but haven't raided the dressing up box yet to see if I can find the pirate kit :-)     I hold one eye shut with my hand at the moment.  I haven't tried both eyes open as my back garden isn't really dark enough....

Archived