NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My first Solar images in two months

johnfosteruk

Sol's been way too low since September when I last imaged on the 20th. I thought today that I'd found a spot in the garden that would give me a solid half an hour to smash n grab but I was wrong, however having the afternoon free I had the bit between my teeth and loaded the car and took off to the local park.

Seeing was pretty poor but I was still able to get reasonable data.

200 frames at 1/500s ISO 100, whittled down to 50% in Pipp and the best 50 of those 100 stacked in AS!2. Wavelets and sharpening in Registax and a little Photoshop to finish.

Mono

Sol WL 29-11-2016 mono.png

Color

Sol WL 29-11-2016 colour.png

100% crop (slightly reduced size though first)

Sol WL 29-11-2016 crop.png

8 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Well done John, don't know how you lasted that long without a solar fix :grin:

Dave

Thanks mate.

I've had some vis sessions with the little Bresser 70/700 (which is surprisingly good btw) to keep me going but I'll definitely be doing more at the park when the weather allows :)

I'm Office bound the next 3 days but I should have a chance at the weekend, weather permitting.

2 minutes ago, laudropb said:

Very nice images John. 

Cheers John, was worried I'd forgotten how it's done :happy7:

BTW when are we going to see some images from you - I thought you'd bought a camera, or are you still working it out. (I still haven't taken the plunge and bought a wedge yet.)

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/11/2016 at 20:04, laudropb said:

I had problems reaching inward focus with my Herschel wedge and ST 102. Think I have it sorted, but the Sun is now too low from my back garden.

How did you manage this on the ST 102? I am having the same problems. I bought the Crayford duel speed focuser in the hope that it would help but it has not. Is it a simple fix?

You can use a nose piece from a 2x barlow lense, fit it to the end of the t adapter that goes in to the wedge.. that should bring the focus point out far enough in order for you to gain focus..

Ta

Fozzie 

Archived