Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Wizard Nebula - NGC 7380/SH2-142 in Ha

steppenwolf

Last night was the first relatively clear night here for some time so despite the slight mistiness, I had a go at imaging the Wizard Nebula.

The classification NGC 7380 really applies to the young star cluster (3.8 million years old!) associated with this nebulous region that lies approximately 7,500 light years away in the constellation of Cepheus. A better classification for the region of nebulosity is SH2-142 from the Sharpless catalogue. The nebulosity responds well to imaging in Ha, OIII and SII so is often displayed in the popular Hubble Palette which, depending on sky conditions in the next few weeks, may well be the direction in which I take this image.

NGC 7380 was discovered by Caroline Herschel on 7th August, 1787.

Mount: Mesu 200
Telescope: Sky-Watcher Esprit 150 ED Pro
Flattener: Sky-Watcher
Camera: QSI 683 WSG-8
Guiding: SX LodeStar
Filters: Baader 7nm Ha
Subframes: 18 x 1200 sec Ha
Control: CCD Commander
Capture: MaxIm DL
Post-Processing: MaxIm DL and PS3

Wizard_251116_dark.png

Thanks for your comments folks, much appreciated.

I reacall you posting about a bigger refractor not so long ago . . . is this first light for the Esprit 150 or I have missed a posting?

Hi Barry, this was actually my 'second light' this image of the Pacman Nebula (un-posted until now) was my first light image:-

pacman_nebula_021016_150_first_light_ha.png

I love this Steve - I think the focal length you have used has worked really well in this case

Hi Sara, I think I'm going to have fun with this telescope, it does have a very useful focal length (1070mm with the field flattener in place) and I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces.

I love the little pointing hand detail too (something to look for in amongst all that detail).

Hi Paddy, I'm looking for that pointing hand but not found it yet ..... maybe when I add the OIII and SII, all will be revealed!

Archived