Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cone Nebula HaRGB New Mexico-Sweden

gorann

The sky and moon has been very good for processing images lately.....

Here is data from February collected in New Mexico and Sweden. It is my second collaboration with Jim Matzger who contributed the Ha data that he collected at the Deep Sky West Remote Observatory in New Mexico (Takahashi FSQ106 EDXIII, QSI683 wsg-8, Astrodon Ha 5 nm, 18 x 1800"). The RGB data is from my home observatory in Sweden (ES 127 ED, Canon 60Da, 10 x 600"). I merged the pictures and processed them in Photoshop, adding a bit of Ha to the red channel and also using it as luminosity layer. More info on Jim's data is on his Astrobin: http://www.astrobin.com/244501/0/

All the nice detail is from the Ha data so thanks again Jim!

Comments and suggestions most welcome.

IMG1004-1012 NyPS13sign.jpg

Thank you Adriano!

I realized that in the present orientation it is called the Cone and Fox Fur Nebula, but a 90° CCW rotation makes into the Cone and Christmas Tree Nebula. Great with two nebulas in one, so here is the Christmas Tree version. I think the impression is quite different:

IMG1004-1012 NyPS13rotated.jpg

Looks like I can reach out and touch it.  Great image.  BTW  the Christmas tree name is typically associated with the star cluster hence  "Christmas Tree Cluster".  The Fox fur nebula  is that wavy area just above the blue region.  I have only tried this is NB--needless to say the image was not very good (that was in the before time).

Thanks for your kind comment Rodd, including the folklore information! I think it is easier to see a Christmas tree in the nebula than in the star cluster (it does not look much like a cluster to me)

26 minutes ago, gorann said:

Thanks for your kind comment Rodd, including the folklore information! I think it is easier to see a Christmas tree in the nebula than in the star cluster (it does not look much like a cluster to me)

I think that the stars in the cluster resembled the lights on a Christmas tree.  It depends on how you emphasize the various elements.  I've seen some images where the stars are more apparent, and others where I said "I see the Christmas tree".  100 people will image a target, and there will be 100 variations as you know.   Regardless...your image is very good.  I will have to revisit this little gem......it has to get in line though...a very contentious line.  I need another mount so i can use both of my scopes simultaneously.  

Rodd, I thought of it (and I have an NEQ6 lying in my wardrobe) but one problem with two mounts running simultaneously would be that the signal / noise ratio would decrease, noise in this case being technical problems.....

1 minute ago, gorann said:

Rodd, I thought of it (and I have an NEQ6 lying in my wardrobe) but one problem with two mounts running simultaneously would be that the signal / noise ratio would decrease, noise in this case being technical problems.....

I don't know....I have my rig down pretty good at this point.  I leave it set up with camera attached under a 24/7/365 cover (awesome cover).  Almost plug and play.  For the most part I have been immunized against serious gremlins (until my next session I suppose!).  Of course, it would require me to set up a duplicate system--same mount same camera, separate laptop, same focus system.  Different equipment would probably result in what you indicate until I mastered the details (drivers, Windows updates that play havoc with settings etc).  Suffice it to say that I would be more than willing to give it a try!

Archived