Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tripod for Mesu 200 - Losmandy folding HD tripod vs. Altair Starbase

Wieben

Hello guys,

Which tripod would you recommend for a Mesu 200?

I'm considering the two below options: 

Losmandy folding HD tripod

fhd-ma.jpg

or 

Altair Starbase

altair-starbase-stativ-1000.jpg

I'm looking for maximum stability for my mobile setup, and of course it doesn't harm if it is quick to set up and looks great.

Also the Berlebach Planet comes to mind, but I prefer a metal tripod.

Clear skies,

Heine Wieben

Our Mesu mount is permanently attached to a pier in an observatory so we have never tried to mount it on a tripod.

I would suggest emailing or phoning Lucas Mesu directly for his advice on this.  He does sell a tripod adapter for the mount so presumably has a good idea about which tripods would be most suitable.

We have always found him to be extremely helpful with any questions that we have had about our Mesu 200.

Hi MrsGnomus,

Yes, Lucas is indeed very helpful. He is recommending the Berlebach, but also sells adapters for the Losmandy and states it should be very easy to make one for the Starbase. I just prefer metal above wood, but haven't completely discarded the Berlebach.

On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 13:30, Wieben said:

Hello guys,

Which tripod would you recommend for a Mesu 200?

I'm considering the two below options: 

Losmandy folding HD tripod

fhd-ma.jpg

or 

Altair Starbase

altair-starbase-stativ-1000.jpg

I'm looking for maximum stability for my mobile setup, and of course it doesn't harm if it is quick to set up and looks great.

Also the Berlebach Planet comes to mind, but I prefer a metal tripod.

Clear skies,

Heine Wieben

I have the starbase & believe me if its stability you want then it ticks all the boxes, the build quality off this item has to be seen, its made of very high quality aluminium & stainless so no corrosion to worry about in damp conditions, & the attention to detail is second to none.

Im sure with the right adapter your mesu would sit lovely on this starbase, I would highly recommend it! Regards Simon!

Thank you for your replies. I'm leaning towards the Starbase.

Do any of you have the measurements if the pier section? Size of the top, space between inner pier decks and the gap between the side plates? I haven't been able to find this online.

It would be cool to build in a mini PC and battery bank between the decks.

Best regards,

Heine

Archived