NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi from Lee

lee2017

Well, it's that time of year again when the skies are beginning to get darker in the evening and I'm motivated to begin the cycle of researching telescopes yet again . . . each year after spending so long looking and trying to decide, time passes and I find that the lighter nights are approaching.  This year I want to change that and make it happen whilst the time is right.

I have always being fascinated by the night skies and each year celestial events come and go and I kick myself for having nothing other than the naked eye and a pair of binoculars that may as well be made from chocolate to observe from.  Last year we saw the converging of Jupiter and Venus, and although my view of it was merely two slightly brighter stars in the sky I was  fascinated with what I was watching and wished I had made up my mind on a scope.

I had a telescope as a youngster,  My Mum bought it for me from a high street shop when I was 11 years old.  It was rather unstable and awkward to use (typical high street quality I suppose at best I suppose)  but I loved it. I used to love viewing the moon through it, but perhaps my fondest memory from that telescope was viewing Jupiter through it.  It was around 1994 Jupiter. At that time Jupiter had not long ago  received a fair share of media coverage when Comet Shoemaker - Levy 9 collided with it. I remember being somewhat star struck (no pun intended) when I managed find Jupiter through my scope a while later.  It was the topic of the month in our house after that and rightly so because finding the biggest planet in our solar system was a special moment for me as an 11 year old and I can still remember it to this day despite it being a rather cloudy and somewhat blurry image I was viewing compared to what I can only imagine the high end scopes of today are capable of.

I am also a self taught photographer and sell my photography at local events and fairs.  The though of merging my fascination with the night sky with my passion and love for photography inspires and motivates me to want to learn more about the skas above and view it not from the TV screen, but live from my back yard.  It would also be an amazing venture onto a learning curve of photographic subjects and techniques that I have never before explored.  

I will spare this post of asking for advice regards to which scope to buy and post that in another topic with more specific details of my situation location where hopefully folks will assist people to guide me towards right direction in choosing my first 'real'  telescope. 

Lee.

Hello!

Welcome to SGL!

I started with a Celestron StarTravel 60 and saw Saturn for the first time. That was about 2 years ago. ~10 scopes later, several cameras and many other accessories and here I am. Planning the next camera acquisition.

Once again, welcome to the forum!

Alex

Hi Lee and welcome to the forum. Plenty of people over on the equipment section to assist any enquiries but don't forget to mention what your budget is - we all enjoy spending someone else's money!

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here

• 3 weeks later...
On 13.10.2016 at 20:28, moise212 said:

I started with a Celestron StarTravel 60 and saw Saturn for the first time. That was about 2 years ago. ~10 scopes later, several cameras and many other accessories and here I am. Planning the next camera acquisition.

:shocked: I thought I had bought a lot, counting 2 telescopes and a pair of bino's in 1 year (plus all the extra stuff). But 10 scopes in 2 years is more than I could imagine.

Archived