Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ5 Pro SynScan Firmware Update Problems - Solution?

morayskies

Hi All

I have just acquired a SkyWatcher EQ5 Pro mount and SynScan to replace/augment my ageing CG5-GT.

The mount came with the lead and Prolific USB Serial Converter to allow me to control the mount or update firmware from my laptop.  After downloading the latest firmware and firmware uploader I followed all the instructions and successfully managed to update the firmware with no problems.  Feeling I was on a roll, I then downloaded and installed the ASCOM platform bits'n'pieces and successfully managed to control the mount via EQMOD and slew to objects using Cartes du Ciel (CdC) - brilliant!

A few days later, I had been thinking about doing a Factory Reset to clear any details from the previous user.  Having been working in IT for a number of years, and knowing how things can change for no apparent reason, before I attempted any Factory Reset I would just check that I was still able to do a Firmware Update if the Factory Reset 'downgraded' the firmware.  This is where it got interesting.  Sequence of events follows;

1. Connect serial cable from laptop to hand controller

2. Start hand controller in firmware update mode (ie holding down 0 & 8) during hand controller switch on.  Hand controller indicates it's ready to be updated.

3. Start Firmware Uploader application.  Decide to check current HC version etc via this application.  Auto detect COM port is checked but I know that the COM port used is 6.

4. I see the COM port indicator in the Uploader application change from it's default value of 1 to 6 (as I expected)

5. A few seconds later, I get the "Cannot connect to hand controller" message.

6. Hmm!  Check all cable connections - fine.

7. Run through above sequence again - same result.

8. Start Hand controller in normal, observing type mode and select "Direct PC" control.  Start EQMOD and I find that all is working fine and I can control the 'scope no problems.

9. Thinking I may have 'tightened' a loose connection, I decide to try the Firmware update process again.  I did not disturb/break any connections after using EQMOD as I knew they were working.

10. Ran through 2 to 4 above.  Sadly, I got item 5 message again.  Cannot connect to hand controller!

11. After trying a number of things and none of them working, I finally ended up disconnecting the Serial cable by unplugging from the USB port on my laptop.  Plugged it back in again, pressed the "HC Version" button on the Firmware uploader app (which was still running) and, Hey Presto, it worked!

I can't get my head around why this should happen.  Needless to say, I decided not to do a Factory Reset - I didn't want to push my luck too far :-)

I had major issue with my eq5 firmware update using a serial to usb lead. It would connect then keep failing to complete the update. In the end I hunted high and low and found an old pc with a serial port. Set this all up and it worked straight away.

I thought I had borked my scope that I had only had for one day and was in a right panic.

I would try it without the usb adapter and maybe buy a serial port pci if your pc has not got one (got mine for about 2 quid) and try that.

Likely the USB. These things (EQ5) were developed in the days of a serial port, 9600k, maybe even 19,200k. An old PC with a serial port and somethiong like XP is a better option. I often think that if people intend to do this then perhaps purchasing a serial card is not a bad idea.

Part of the problem is that the USB throws data down at a high rate, the old serial just took what arrived and stashed it into memory, there was no validation or handshake taking place. Likely some data was lost and so you had an invalid lump of Firmware on the EQ5. Not sure if the firmware is stored compressed then expanded or if it is just stored in the uncompressed/running state.

What happens is that sometimes the USB works, at others it fails, it appears somewhat hit and miss. Real problem is that the load can fail in such a state that you may not be able to reflash the system.

A reset should not effect the operating software, it should only overwrite some of the data with preset/defined data. Otherwise it is keeping the "old" firmware and the "new" firmware side by side and there is just insufficent memory for this.

Some interesting points here particularly in relation to how the serial port handles data (thanks Sub Giant).   I don't intend updating firmware on a regular basis, however, I can see me using ASCOM and EQMOD quite a bit to operate the 'scope at a distance (getting old now and cold nights have little appeal).

23 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

Mines running 3.26 I think new version is 3.27 if I'm correct but when I bought it second hand never got a lead with it so just left well alone. 

The current version is 3v.38.09 or v4.38.09 which now features daytime alignment using the sun as the alignment star. http://skywatcher.com/download/software/

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using prolific based usb serial converters for many years for updating firmware on allsorts of kit, never had any issues.  The best thing to do is to assign Com 1 to the prolific controlller. 

Go into device manager on your computer, look for Ports Com & LPT, click on it, you should see something like "prolific controller"  below, right click on the prolific controller, select properties.  You should now see a selection of tabs,  Click on port settings,  then advanced. change the com port to com 1.  The usb serial adapter  should now remember that its com 1 each time its plugged in.

You can also change the baud rate on the port settings tab to 115200 for faster updates.

Hope this helps

Steve

I had exactly the same issue with my one when I brought it. I thought I had bricked the thing before using it once. I ended up digging out an old pc I had lying around with a serial port and stuck xp on it. I have now purchased a serial port card for a couple of quid for future updates.

spill.

Archived