Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Binoviewer advice

Moonshane

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shane I think your observations confirm a theory about the binoviewer giving approx half the light to each eye- the "false exit pupil theory". I notice this as well. Compared to mono I use an exit pupil of about twice that of mono for a lower level on planetary, solar, lunar,galaxies. Below this the object dims progressively. Dialing in perceived image brightness is important with binos IMHO.

My 25mm TV plossls @ 1.3x for a 19.2mm fl equivalent work extremely well on solar system objects ( for galaxies too), my eyes also support these same EP's @ 2.3x for 11mm equivalent on solar system objects, but is near the max on bright galaxies and too dim for most.

You might find, as I have, that using filters with binos doesn't work that well, I'm talking UHC,OIII etc. I do get fantastic views with the Baader wedge in WL.

Glad to hear you've now got up and BV running Shane. I did enjoy the views with two eye but could see it easily becoming a money pit doubling up on eyepieces so soon got rid but there are moments I think I should have given it a bit more time before parting with them. M42 was incredible in BV's so well worth considering an ota chop if your sticking with BV's. So much more contrast and the ease at which you can study the detail with two eyes over one. I also found that in Ha that proms really suffered. I can't remember if I was having to use X1.4 or X2 with the 20mm swans to achieve focus but either way x37 or x50 I can see proms with a single eye piece where the BV's suffered. WL on the other hand was superb and again the contrast really improved with the BV's. The moon was also superb but it was here where I felt the most money would be gobbled up on pairs of eyepieces. With 2 eyes your just not as troubled by seeing and because of this you can really test the magnification on the moon. I know a lot of people buy the hyperion 8-24 zoom to keep costs down but hyperions, bv's, barlows etc hanging of my budget focuser and all the balancing issues that come with it. If astro gear was more affordable I would love a pair of bino's again but for the mo I like what little bit of savings I have :D

18 minutes ago, spaceboy said:

Glad to hear you've now got up and BV running Shane. I did enjoy the views with two eye but could see it easily becoming a money pit doubling up on eyepieces so soon got rid but there are moments I think I should have given it a bit more time before parting with them. M42 was incredible in BV's so well worth considering an ota chop if your sticking with BV's. So much more contrast and the ease at which you can study the detail with two eyes over one. I also found that in Ha that proms really suffered. I can't remember if I was having to use X1.4 or X2 with the 20mm swans to achieve focus but either way x37 or x50 I can see proms with a single eye piece where the BV's suffered. WL on the other hand was superb and again the contrast really improved with the BV's. The moon was also superb but it was here where I felt the most money would be gobbled up on pairs of eyepieces. With 2 eyes your just not as troubled by seeing and because of this you can really test the magnification on the moon. I know a lot of people buy the hyperion 8-24 zoom to keep costs down but hyperions, bv's, barlows etc hanging of my budget focuser and all the balancing issues that come with it. If astro gear was more affordable I would love a pair of bino's again but for the mo I like what little bit of savings I have :D

Hi I agree binoviewing can be a money pit but everything can be in this hobby, it's as expensive or as cheap as you want to make it. But one thing for sure in this hobby seems to be the diminishing rate for return of views compared to the money spent. Ie any newbie out there reading this just because you spend 4 times the cost on an eyepiece do not expect 4 times better views as this does not happen 

I have kept the cost of binoviewing down by basically buying everything second hand and doubling up existing eyepieces as much as possible. Go for a good plossl or Ortho and IMO you can keep costs down to a sensible level(unless it's a ZAO? )

I really do find binoviewing a great experience and especially on lunar details and the comfort and one on one experience you seem to get compared to Cyclops 

Everyone who has tired binoviewing IMO seems to of enjoyed it and taking it as a positive and worthwhile addition, even those who have left binoviewing behind for the time being still seems to have fond memories of binoviewers. So IMO give binoviewing a try everyone as I certainly think it is an enjoyable experience using your two eye's☺ 

The best eyepieces I've used in my binoviewers are my 25mm Zeiss 'orthos', which are converted microscope eyepieces. They are incredibly sharp and contrasts on the sun, and Barlow up to silly multiples quite easily. I use a x1.7 GPC and up to x4 ish with an AP Barcon and extension tubes. It looks very cumbersome but the results beat anything else I've tried.

That said, I've just ordered a pair of 10mm Vixen SLVs to try out, should give me high power without quite so much barlowing!!

Looking at John's post, I bet using twin Doctor 12.5mm is quite something, although scope balance must be fun.

I used a pair of Denk 14mm (I think!) but didn't ever really get on with them, don't know why.

I am almost certainly sticking with plossls and orthos and my next pair will be Antares 25mm at £28 the pair used.  Eventually might replace with TV but will see how it goes.

I agree thus far re proms Nick but will see if a hood helps as the view seems as bit like dimmer double stacking.

8 hours ago, John said:

Money pit ? - surely not !. This is Tamiji Homma of California's binoviewing eyepiece collection :shocked:

bveps.jpg

I'm told low cost plossls work pretty well in binoviewers though......

Very very nice, puts my little collection to shame. But a pity he cannot invest in a eyepiece case to put all that lovely glass in and to keep it safe?

10 hours ago, Moonshane said:

I agree thus far re proms Nick but will see if a hood helps as the view seems as bit like dimmer double stacking.

You obviously have the advantage of +40mm over me in your Tal so I think you will see some success if you can open up the exit pupil. There is no doubting BV's dim the image but I also believe they bring a lot of contrast to it also so it's a case of finding a balance.

I personally have never found binoviewers dim the image much at all.

If they do i don't realise it. Maybe its my eyes or my ever present light pollution.

Yes you can end up investing alot of dosh with binoviewing. But i've not brought any eyepieces for a while now, and i think my set up is complete. The credit card is over them.

But i have brought second hand eyepieces in my set and i also have got good discounts (sometimes 20%) at trade shows.

However i'd love to try these 3 pairs : The 12.5mm Docter UWAs. They have a cult following. (£1500 a pair :crybaby2:)

The 28mm RKE Edmonds. And the new Denkmeier LOA 21s. I'm hearing rumors of a new LOA, somewhere in the 30mm range. With the current £/$ exchange rate, that will have to wait a while.

Shane : have a go with your 24Pan in the Maxbright and see if the vignetting bothers you. Try it on a daylight object too.

Theres not many binoviewers out there that can utilise the 27mm field stop. 

Even my new Earthwin Newt bino shows some vignetting in low power mode. 

If you have a good dark sky though, you may not even notice it.

Great stuff! I have been very pleased with my Maxbright bv with 15mm TV plossls and also a pair of cheapo 25mm 'super' plossls in my 10" - really great detailed views on solar/lunar/Mars/Jupiter/Saturn :) I find the moon just spectacular with two eyes! Still prefer mono though for DSOs with my kit.

Archived