NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Installing an SSD in Desktop PC for Linux Mint

Gina

Made a little mistake in setting up partitions for installation - didn't set up the /home partition so the new system doesn't find it - doh!!  I remember now what I have to do - set the partition but not format.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Phew I have 16Gb ram the upgrade to 32Gb made my eyes water so I didnt bother hope its enough.

Alan

a swapfile can slow the machine down in your case you didn't need one as you have ample memory to fulfil that process. did you disable it/not install one

1 minute ago, fozzybear said:

a swapfile can slow the machine down in your case you didn't need one as you have ample memory to fulfil that process. did you disable it/not install one

I didn't install one but how could I check?

Alan

In Linux you can adjust the "swapiness" of the swap file so that it will only use it when it actually runs out of memory.  If you don't have one and run out of memory something will likely get killed by the OS to keep the system stable but this will also likely result in loss of whatever you were working on.

2 minutes ago, Gina said:

I haven't linked to a swap-file so there isn't one ATM but if needed I can re-link it.

with 16gb or ram I don't think you will need one but if performance drops off you could add a small swapfile .

procedure. processor then processor cache(ram 4-8mb) then ram in your case 16gb if that is full then disk swapfile then the other way back.

andy

1 hour ago, Alien 13 said:

This is scary stuff I just paid around £1800 for my lappy and the thought that it only gets 2 years is very worrying.

Alan

Don't worry. SSDs do last longer than 2 years. My works laptop (with single SSD) is over 4 years old, used 8-10 hours every day and is still going strong. I upgraded my astro Lenovo to a single SSD over 2 years ago, and that's fine too, and it's been subjected to some extremes in temperature and humidity when in use.

11 minutes ago, Jokehoba said:

Don't worry. SSDs do last longer than 2 years. My works laptop (with single SSD) is over 4 years old, used 8-10 hours every day and is still going strong. I upgraded my astro Lenovo to a single SSD over 2 years ago, and that's fine too, and it's been subjected to some extremes in temperature and humidity when in use.

http://www.hardcoreware.net/mtbf-ssd-what-does-it-mean-for-you/

3 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

I quite agree but  the norm for a swapfile/page file on windows/Linux is to put this on a non SSD drive albeit if you did it would be fast but you are killing the drive and that is not what is was meant to be yes newer drives can handle it with trim but again you are limiting  their lifespan that is all. at the end of the day anything can kill your machine blocked ventilator, poor power supply, mains fluctuations you are at the hands of the gods.but if you are after performance and price not a question then go for it. Gina has plenty of RAM so she is ok and shouldn't see any dropoff in performance.

System Monitor shows 4 processors running at 100% and 3.9GB of RAM in use.  I reckon this could be speeded up using a RAM_drive :)  OTOH it's processor limited so maybe not.

29 minutes ago, Gina said:

System Monitor shows 4 processors running at 100% and 3.9GB of RAM in use.  I reckon this could be speeded up using a RAM_drive :)  OTOH it's processor limited so maybe not.

let everything settle down before doing anything go and have a cup tee  maybve updates?

Don't stress unduly about the SSD Gina, just keep about 25% space free. The Samsungs are great - EVO is ok, Pro is best. My 500GB Pro has been running as a sole Win 7 drive since 2011. Total writes for new Sammy retail devices are about 2TB per day for five years which gives the average user loads of elbow room ... Just don't do silly things like, as has been said, hibernate and you'll be fine. Sit back and enjoy the speed :-)

AndyG

Archived