740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

Linux and Stacking

jdmgray

Hi everyone.

I'm currently running Linux on my laptop and just wanted to know the best stacking software is for an amateur to use.

I tried installing registax with wine but it didn't work.

I've tried out PIPP and didn't really get on with it.

So far the only one I've gotten my head around is Siril by free astro.

Would like to know what other software there is that works well on linux that is good for amateurs who have just started playing around with this. 

Hello, I'm on Linux only so I will advise what I use often. For deep sky stacking you can try Regim (requires Java 6/8 depending on version). For video stacking (moon, planets) you can try cvastroalign, but you will have to guess how to use it -- though simple, it has no manual nor help.

You will also need a at-least-16-bit-depth image processing software (such as Gimp 2.9+ or Fotoxx).

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I know about these free programs:

Image processing

1. Siril is meant to be Iris for Linux (sirI-L). It is an astronomical image processing tool, able to convert, pre-process images, help aligning them automatically or manually, stack them and enhance final images. Free.

2. AstroImageJ is ImageJ with astronomy plugins and macros installed. It includes tools based on the Göttingen ImageJ astronomical resources with additions we find useful. Because it was necessary to modify the original ImageJ code to enable some of these features, this package should be installed in its entirety. Free.

3. MicroObservatory Image is a simple to use, yet powerful astronomical image processing program that works with FITS and GIF files. Free.

4. Lxnstack is a program designed to align and stack astronomical images (both planetary and deep-sky) by Maurizio D'Addona. Written in python and qt for the Linux platform it is released under the Open Source GPLv3 licence. Free.

5. Regim is a software tool for processing astronomical images. Free.

6. THELI GUI is a powerful and easy-to-use package for astronomical image reduction, offering e.g. Free.

7. nip2 aims to be about halfway between Excel and Photoshop. You don't directly edit images — instead, like a spreadsheet, you build relationships between objects. You enter formula (or select menu items) to describe how to make a new object from some of the objects you already have. nip2 keeps track of these relationships: if you make a change anywhere, nip2 automatically recalculates anything affected by the change.

8. GIMP v.2.9.7 is a cross-platform image editor available for GNU/Linux, OS X, Windows and more operating systems. It is free software, you can change its source code and distribute your changes.

9. ImPPG performs Lucy-Richardson deconvolution, unsharp masking, brightness normalization and tone curve adjustment. It can also apply previously specified processing settings to multiple images. All operations are performed using 32-bit floating-point arithmetic.

10. Stackistry implements the lucky imaging principle of astronomical imaging: creating a high-quality still image out of a series of many (possibly thousands) low quality ones (blurred, deformed, noisy). The resulting image stack typically requires post-processing, including sharpening (e.g. via deconvolution). Such post-processing is not performed by Stackistry.

11. C-Munipack is the software package, which offers the complete solution for reduction of images carried out by CCD camera, intended on a observation of variable stars. Each step of reduction process can be run from the command line or via simple and intuitive graphical user interface.

12. AstroAviBrowser is a small tool for astronomy imaging processing. With AstroAviBrowser, you may open a video file, select the good frames and save the new sequence in a new avi file. It also debayer your raw sequences. Free.

13. cvastroalign (video align tool for astrophotography) is a program that loads a video sequence, aligns and stacks the selected frames obtaining an image as result of this process.

14. Munipack is a free open source tool for processing of astronomical images.

15. Asterism is a Linux (astronomical) image preprocessing tool for consumer digital camera (CDC) RAW images and many other file extensions.

Edited by oleg_astro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, oleg_astro said:

Yes, but PixInsight do not free software.

I know, but it didn't say in the original post that they should be free. Processing software is an important part of an imaging setup, and imo should be in any astro budget.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By Arby69
      I tried stacking multiple times. Tried selecting images that looked similar. Still got this issue where there is a ring around the moon and you can see that the surface details are gone and there are boxes visible. This was my first attempt. I even tried changing the stack percentage to 50 but no success. In another attempt, the image looks washed out instead of being detailed. I am confused. I had taken the photos at the same time. Please tell me where I went wrong and help a beginner out

DSCN5939_lapl5_ap25900.tif DSCN5939_lapl5_ap25900.tif
    • By astrobena
      Hey everyone,
      I was out recently in what felt like the first clear sky in years and got ~109 min of data on M31, minus 76 frames due to a 12mph wind, which left me with 69 min of data (each shot is 45 sec with ISO 200 tracked with skywatcher star adventurer). As mentioned in the title I captured all these images in a bortal 8 location, used an unmodified canon eos 400d and the skywatcher 75ed as the scope (with a flattener). I've attached my edit (warning: it is not great at all + slightly overedited to see what details are even there), and to be my surprise it looked very similar to an image of M31 with only 20 min of data which i captured a month earlier (both of which i used DSS and photoshop for). Now this may well have something to do with the way i edited it in photoshop or a different setting in DSS or just the fact that 49 more data doesnt make much of a difference considering im in a bortal 8 location, maybe you guys could help on that. I've attached the link to the original files (in the folder called 18.2.2021) as well as the stacked image from DSS (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/12NT4TmLCXvTfOXNPE_l8UWPRpgO2VjLe?usp=sharing). I didnt capture any flat images but have dark and bias frames, all in their correpsonding folders in the attached link. It would be greatly appreciated if you guys could see if there is more data in this then i have managed to 'extract' using photoshop. (If you use different software and try and edit these files please tell me what you used) If there isn't then maybe do you guys have any images of M31 (or similar) from very light polluted skies that you could share here? (If so i would if you could share the full exposure time and gear that would be great)

Many Thanks!

• By Macropanda
      Hi... Hope this is ok to post here.

I've built an app to create star trail images and videos using an iPad or an iPhone and i'm really struggling to find beta testers.
      Check out the photo and video I've added to the post to see what it can do and and click the link if you want to try it out.
      https://sites.google.com/view/starstackerforios-beta/home for info.
      https://testflight.apple.com/join/7iLGfVDG to get the beta.
      It's free to have early access to the beta. I'm just hoping to get a bit of feedback before it releases.
      Many thanks!

Star Stacker iOS.mp4
    • By SeBasstian
      I have a huge problem with DSS.
      About a week ago, I took 300, 2 second long exposures of Andromeda with my skywatcher 90/900.
      But when DSS started scanning the stars in the images, it only registered about 5 stars at 40%. And only 7 stars at 20%. I tried to stack them and selected stack 100% of frames, but it only stacked around 29.
      I even tried it at 4% where it registered around 40 stars, but DSS crashed mid process due to the immense amount of stars being scanned (60 000 per image at least). 
      I tried it sooooo many times, but I don't get it to work. It somehow stacked 131 images I took of the lagune nebula (1 second lang exposure). You couldn't see the actual nebula, but some bright stars were there and DSS was able to stack. 
      In the Andromeda pics, there were like 5 times more stars, but it didn't work. 
      If anyone knows what's wrong, pls help me!!! I'm slowly loosing it on that nonsense. 
    • By FranTeryda
      Hi! I'm Fran
      Not so long ago I took a picture of the ISS I never thought I was going to be able to get with the equipment I have. 
      After saving for a long time, I was able to buy my first scope, an OTA Skywatcher 200P. I adapted it to be used in a dobsonian base because it was the cheapest way I had to get it to work.
      One night, I thought it might be cool to try to aim and record with my phone an ISS pass overhead. During the first attempt, I messed up the focus extremely bad but you can't  imagine how happy I was to get a white blob in a frame that only I knew was the ISS. 
      The following afternoon I tried again. This time the flyby was almost exactly overhead and the night was crystal clear. So I manually tracked the station looking through the finder scope and recording it with my phone at 1080p 60fps. Without much expectations I downloaded the files into my computer to review them.  And was shocked with the results.
      The video was processed with PIPP, AutoStakkert and RegiStax. 

If someone told me the image was taken with a phone and manually tracked with a shitty dobsonian base I would not believe him! I got really lucky that night, but I can not be happier with the results. I believe I got to the edge of what I can accomplish with the equipment that I was able to buy. I'm not sure if ext step up should be a real camera or a mount. Anyway, any of them are too expensive 😬
      If you want to see the frames before processing (and some nice shots of the moon that night), I'll leave a link to the video where I show them:

Thank you so much for reading it all.
      Cheers,
      Fran

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.