Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_through_the-_eyepiece.thumb.jpg.cb85f690376dcb3053c747827de6bf9e.jpg

Hi everyone.

I'm currently running Linux on my laptop and just wanted to know the best stacking software is for an amateur to use.

I tried installing registax with wine but it didn't work.

I've tried out PIPP and didn't really get on with it.

So far the only one I've gotten my head around is Siril by free astro.

Would like to know what other software there is that works well on linux that is good for amateurs who have just started playing around with this. 

Hello, I'm on Linux only so I will advise what I use often. For deep sky stacking you can try Regim (requires Java 6/8 depending on version). For video stacking (moon, planets) you can try cvastroalign, but you will have to guess how to use it -- though simple, it has no manual nor help.

You will also need a at-least-16-bit-depth image processing software (such as Gimp 2.9+ or Fotoxx).

• Thanks 1

Hello,

I know about these free programs:

Image processing

1. Siril is meant to be Iris for Linux (sirI-L). It is an astronomical image processing tool, able to convert, pre-process images, help aligning them automatically or manually, stack them and enhance final images. Free.

2. AstroImageJ is ImageJ with astronomy plugins and macros installed. It includes tools based on the Göttingen ImageJ astronomical resources with additions we find useful. Because it was necessary to modify the original ImageJ code to enable some of these features, this package should be installed in its entirety. Free.

3. MicroObservatory Image is a simple to use, yet powerful astronomical image processing program that works with FITS and GIF files. Free.

4. Lxnstack is a program designed to align and stack astronomical images (both planetary and deep-sky) by Maurizio D'Addona. Written in python and qt for the Linux platform it is released under the Open Source GPLv3 licence. Free.

5. Regim is a software tool for processing astronomical images. Free.

6. THELI GUI is a powerful and easy-to-use package for astronomical image reduction, offering e.g. Free.

7. nip2 aims to be about halfway between Excel and Photoshop. You don't directly edit images — instead, like a spreadsheet, you build relationships between objects. You enter formula (or select menu items) to describe how to make a new object from some of the objects you already have. nip2 keeps track of these relationships: if you make a change anywhere, nip2 automatically recalculates anything affected by the change.

8. GIMP v.2.9.7 is a cross-platform image editor available for GNU/Linux, OS X, Windows and more operating systems. It is free software, you can change its source code and distribute your changes.

9. ImPPG performs Lucy-Richardson deconvolution, unsharp masking, brightness normalization and tone curve adjustment. It can also apply previously specified processing settings to multiple images. All operations are performed using 32-bit floating-point arithmetic.

10. Stackistry implements the lucky imaging principle of astronomical imaging: creating a high-quality still image out of a series of many (possibly thousands) low quality ones (blurred, deformed, noisy). The resulting image stack typically requires post-processing, including sharpening (e.g. via deconvolution). Such post-processing is not performed by Stackistry.

11. C-Munipack is the software package, which offers the complete solution for reduction of images carried out by CCD camera, intended on a observation of variable stars. Each step of reduction process can be run from the command line or via simple and intuitive graphical user interface.

12. AstroAviBrowser is a small tool for astronomy imaging processing. With AstroAviBrowser, you may open a video file, select the good frames and save the new sequence in a new avi file. It also debayer your raw sequences. Free.

13. cvastroalign (video align tool for astrophotography) is a program that loads a video sequence, aligns and stacks the selected frames obtaining an image as result of this process.

14. Munipack is a free open source tool for processing of astronomical images.

15. Asterism is a Linux (astronomical) image preprocessing tool for consumer digital camera (CDC) RAW images and many other file extensions.

Edited by oleg_astro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, oleg_astro said:

Yes, but PixInsight do not free software.

I know, but it didn't say in the original post that they should be free. Processing software is an important part of an imaging setup, and imo should be in any astro budget.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MikeODay
      The Cat's Paw Nebula ( NGC 6334 ) in Scorpius 
      updated ( slight tweak to colour balance, a little brighter and tad more contrast )  

( please click / tap on image to see larger and sharper - a full size image can be seen here )
      original:

( please click / tap on image to see larger and sharper - a full size image can be seen here )
      ……………………...
      Also known as the Bear Claw Nebula, NGC 6334 is an emission nebula near the scorpion's tail in the Scorpius constellation. 
      Image details:
      Image centre ...... RA: 17 20 08.185  Dec: -35 52 30.91
      Field of view ..... 57' 37.8" x 38' 51.8"
      Rotation .......... 0.00 deg ( North is up )
      Resolution ........ 0.586 arcsec/px
      Telescope: Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, fl 1200mm, f4 ).
      Corrector: ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x.
      Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1470mm f4.7
      Mount: Skywatcher EQ8
      Guiding: TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, PHD2 
      Camera:
      Nikon D5300 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.6mm, 6016x4016 3.9um pixels)
      Moderate light pollution ( pale green zone on darksitefinder.com map )
      Capture ( July 2018 )
      6 sets of sub-images with exposure duration for each set doubling ( 4s to 240s ) all at ISO 250.
      168 x 4 min frames plus ~10 frames each for the shorter exposures  
      Processing:
      Calibration: bias, dark and flat
      Integration in 8 sets
      HDR combination 
      Pixinsight July 2018
    • By Yogesh
      Hi
      I have recently purchased a ZWO ASI120MC-S webcam from FLO. I wanted to try it the other night so I decided to get some test images for the moon. I was using Sharpcap for this. I manged to get the video and was using Autostakkert to stack it. On the final stacked image I can see that there are some strange vertical lines.  I have attached a picture of that. There is also a zoomed in image of a region and I can see some small squares almost resembling the pixels on the sensor. Below are my capture settings as given by SharpCap.
      [ZWO ASI120MC-S] Debayer Preview=On Pan=0 Tilt=0 Output Format=AVI files (*.avi) Binning=1 Capture Area=1280x960 Colour Space=RAW8 Temperature=19.2 High Speed Mode=Off Overclock=0 Turbo USB=86(Auto) Flip=Both Frame Rate Limit=60 fps Gain=50(Auto) Exposure=0.001993 Timestamp Frames=Off White Bal (B)=95 White Bal (R)=52 Brightness=0 Auto Exp Max Gain=50 Auto Exp Max Exp M S=30000 Auto Exp Target Brightness=100 Mono Bin=Off Apply Flat=None Subtract Dark=None #Black Point Display Black Point=0 #MidTone Point Display MidTone Point=0.5 #White Point Display White Point=1 TimeStamp=2018-06-25T23:13:22.6772909Z SharpCapVersion=3.1.5214.0 For Autostakkert (v2.6.8 ) I was not doing anything fancy. Pressed analyze and then used 50% of the frames to stack. Used 200 as the AP size. Also, had the drizzle as 1.5x
      My camera was mounted to a skywatcher 200pds  and HEQ5 mount.
      I am failing to understand what is going wrong here. Is the camera a problem or stacking is an issue ? Please let me know if there is any more information that you need.

Thanks and Regards,
      Yogesh
      moon_25062018_1min_00_13_20_g4_ap35_Drizzle15.tif
      moon_25062018_1min_00_13_20_g4_ap35_Drizzle15_ZOOM.tif
    • By Patbloke
      So here's a thing - it seems to me that astronomy is one of those not very straight forward hobbies. 

Last night I though it would just be the same as Friday night - set up, look at the moon take some pictures! Simples...
      Aw but not to be!! I'm good at setting up in the daylight, get my mount bang level (checked with electronic level app on phone...) Get it facing north with my beautiful brass compass and enter coordinates back to Kidderminster from Thame, then you would think just observe... 

Nah! Moon very wobbly with tinges of green on the edges... Barlowed it and got some superb views of Gassendi and the Hippalus Rilles albeit a bit wobbly... Then the tree came so I thought check out Jupiter the other side of the tree with the camera. Once again folks it appears I have a great deal of Astro luck! Couldn't find Jupes at first, camera in and out of diagonal, EP in and out of diagonal... Shall I just go to bed? 
      Then just before my capitulation - Boom she appears as a large white circle! Mmm something to work on I thought... Messed with the Gain and Exposure, what's Gain mean? Now it's a smaller white ball no moons... Then after another stop and start - Boom!! a ball with bands on... Hello Jupiter my old friend I whisper like a sniper lining up a kill! 
      Brainwave, blue filter! in she goes and Boom again deffo a Jupiter view (although very wobbly) Quick action - click the 'take a picture or million' button... Next quick, take a video or million button.

Amazing here I am with a table chair laptop wonderful AVX mount and my Starwave 102 doing EAA.... 
      It's not that clear and it looks like a black spot just above the main band... Er it couldn't be could it? Could it be? Not another transit surely.... Run indoors get the phone check my Jupiter moons app and Bingo is Io, only Io transiting Jupiter... Wonderful how lucky am I?

I call my girlfriend down out of bed, look look she's sat at the table looking and and "can you get the image any sharper? Oh that's funny I thought the band's go horizontally".. a quick turn of the camera in the diagonal and she's happy! Flipping heck is it me how can she not be doing the I've just bagged a great target dance?? 

Amazing, another example for me of when things don't go perfect at the beginning, decide it's better to just give up and then a little while later having a wonderful moment.
      This hobby never lets me down! 

So today the result of all that is I have a million pictures (exaggerate a bit there) and not a clue what do so with em apart from maybe trying something I heard of called deep sky stacker... Should be interesting later. 

What a fun night in the end... never give up hang in there the joys are just a moment away..... 
    • By MikeODay
      Update: 3rd June
      Re-processed to remove slight magenta tint caused by the non-uniform removal of light pollution by the DBE process ( it was being fooled by the very bright image centre ).

The globular star cluster Omega Centauri ( NGC 5139 ) in Centaurus ( please click / tap on image to see larger and sharper )
      A full size image can be found  here.

original below
      A newly captured ( May 2018 ) image of the great southern globular star cluster, Omega Centauri ( NGC 5139 )

Omega Centauri ( NGC 5139 ) in Centaurus - ( please click / tap image to see larger and sharper )
      A full size ( ~ 6000 x 4000 ) image can be found here 
      This image is an attempt to look deeply into the mighty Omega Centauri star cluster and, by using HDR techniques, record as many of its faint members as possible whilst capturing and bringing out the colours of the stars, including in the core.
      Image details:
      Resolution ........ 0.586 arcsec/px ( full size image )
      Rotation .......... 0.00 deg ( up is North )
      Focal ............. 1375.99 mm
      Pixel size ........ 3.91 um
      Field of view ..... 58' 20.9" x 38' 55.1"
      Image center ...... RA: 13 26 45.065 Dec: -47 28 27.26
      Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1470mm f4.7
      Mount: Skywatcher Eq8
      Camera:
      Nikon D5300 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.6mm, 6016x4016 3.9um pixels)\
      Capture ( May 2018 )
      8 sets of sub-images with exposure duration for each set doubling ( 2s to 240s ) all at ISO 250.
      Processing:
      Calibration: master bias, master flat and master dark
      Integration in 8 sets
      HDR combination 
      Pixinsight May 2018

• By MikeODay
      Galaxy NGC 4945 in Centaurus 

Details:
      Galaxy NGC 4945 in Centaurus
      19 May 2018
      Orientation: North is up
      Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1470mm f4.7\
      Mount: Skywatcher EQ8
      Camera:
      Nikon D5300 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.6mm, 6016x4016 3.91um pixels)

image Plate Solver script version 5.0
      ===========
      Resolution ........ 0.586 arcsec/px
      Rotation .......... North is up
      Focal ............. 1375.43 mm
      Pixel size ........ 3.91 um
      Field of view ..... 43' 27.2" x 28' 54.2"
      Image center ...... RA: 13 04 51.790 Dec: -49 30 37.17
      ==========

Capture ( 19 May 2018 ):
      10 sets of sub-images with exposure duration for each set doubling ( 1/2th sec to 240 sec ) all at ISO250.
      ( 41 x 240sec + ~8 each forthe other durations )
      Processing:
      Calibration: master bias, master flat and master dark
      Integration in 10 sets
      HDR combination 
      Pixinsight May 2018

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.