Next telescope

Kingsley Taylor

Hi there I'm looking for a bit of advice I was recently given a 114 900 telescope and after getting some great views of the moon it has spurred me on to really get into astronomy. Now my problem is I'd like to get a better scope to hopefully get some views of Jupiter and Saturn etc but at the moment my budget would only be £400 I've tried to do some research myself and the celestron nexstar 4see looks my best option am I right or totally wrong?  Any advice would be much appreciated 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say a skywatcher 200P dob then spend the rest on some eyepieces, a good reflex sight (Telrad or Rigel quickfinder) and the book turn left at Oiron.

If you have a tablet or smart phone you can't go far wrong with Sky Safari, it is a great planetarium app.  If not get Stallarium for desktop/laptop (free).

Whilst the 4SE is goto which is great it actually has a smaller aperture than your present scope.  Aperture is the limiting factor for resolution and light gathering ability so going down in aperture is not such a good move for visual.

3 minutes ago, D4N said:

I would say a skywatcher 200P dob then spend the rest on some eyepieces, a good reflex sight (Telrad or Rigel quickfinder) and the book turn left at Oiron.

If you have a tablet or smart phone you can't go far wrong with Sky Safari, it is a great planetarium app.  If not get Stallarium for desktop/laptop (free).

Whilst the 4SE is goto which is great it actually has a smaller aperture than your present scope.  Aperture is the limiting factor for resolution and light gathering ability so going down in aperture is not such a good move for visual.

Great thank you for that I do like the idea of goto but would much rather have better viewing. I will check out the sky watcher you recommended cheers

Thank you all for comments one other question is with the scope I ha apart from the moon I find it hard to point and find for example Jupiter is this down to experience or scope? 

I did get this image just holding my mobile phone up to the lense which is was really pleased with 

DSC_0025.JPG

Do you want to observe or image ?

Ask because you say you want to see planets, well there are sort of 3 of them. Not the nicest way of putting it but Mars, Jupiter and Saturn then you are limited. The 4SE is a goto but Alt/Az and not overly suited to imaging - except for planets. However you put up an image of the moon, so I half guess the idea is there somewhere.

A 200P is a nice scope but it is a manual scope, it is not suited to imaging. So again if imaging comes intop it that is not the scope.

So to the original question - visual or imaging ?

Another option is http://www.astronomyclubs.co.uk/

See if there is a club or two close to you, pay a visit and see what is used and te use the various scopes are put to.

Going from 114mm to 102mm will make you lose brightness and resolution. Telescope performance depends heavily on diameter, so the 200mm dob advice is good.

Aiming does depend on experience but also on having the main scope and finder parallel, which is achieved only if you adjust the finder while looking at very distant landmarks, about a kilometer. Under that distance the small angle between main scope and finderscope can make you aim at the wrong spot in the sky.

Your current scope still has a lot of potential to view a large number of objects other than the Moon, so don't be in a hurry to upgrade. Take your time and perhaps consider second-hand.

Bigger aperture will undoubtedly give you better views. It will allow higher magnification on some targets (up to the limits of the prevailing atmospheric conditions) and it will allow you to see fainter objects. But also be aware that it won't suddenly reveal great swirls of colour etc. as seen through photography. What you will see will basically be the same but with better quality.

Depending on what you have already, you might find a couple of reasonably good eyepieces will breathe new life into your 114, and can be transferred to a new scope when the time comes. This would give you more time to save up if you are set on go-to, for example.

That's a great first shot of the Moon! If you want to pursue photography, a Dobsonian mount is very limiting - but alternatives can rapidly become seriously expensive!

Finding your targets is ultimately a matter of experience. You do however need to be sure your finder (scope or red dot etc) is correctly aligned to the main tube. There are several types of finder available from ones with zero magnification such as the Telrad to small telescopes of about x9 - some people use both together.

33 minutes ago, Kingsley Taylor said:

Thank you all for comments one other question is with the scope I ha apart from the moon I find it hard to point and find for example Jupiter is this down to experience or scope? 

I did get this image just holding my mobile phone up to the lense which is was really pleased with 

Nice lunar shot.

There are several skills needed to get things lined up in your scope.

First you need to put the lowest power eyepiece you have in (highest number), this will give you a bigger field of view in the scope.

Next you need to work out visually where the target is, if it is a dim target then you need to work out what stars are near it, knowing the constellations will help here.  You may need to star hop along known stars.  Jupiter is easier though as it is bright and once you know what it looks like you can tell it apart from stars easily.

As already mentioned you need an aligned finder, I find the reflex sights like the Telrad and Rigel quickfinder best but a low power finder scope is also good.  I am not a fan of red dot finders (they suffer terribly from parallax so you need to be a contortionist to use them properly).  If you are using a red dot finder make sure you are directly behind it when you set it up and always directly behind it when you use it.  It is very easy to miss targets by getting this wrong.

Then it is just a case of getting the target centred with the finder.

35 minutes ago, ronin said:

Thank you all for you feedback my scope does have a finder which I haven't touched. I'm not necessarily all about photography just thought I'd show what I did catch I live in Portsmouth which being a city isn't the best place to be stargazing so I will look for any clubs near by. As for new eyepieces are they easy to get online or should I be going to a shop to get the right ones? Thanks again 

There are a few complications with buying eyepieces that you need to be aware of.

If you wear glasses you will need ones with long eye relief.

You need to ensure that you get ones that will fit in your focuser, modern eyepieces come in 1.25" and 2" sizes.

The 200P will accept both sizes, it is likely that your present scope can only accept 1.25" eyepieces.

Note that the 2" eyepieces are needed for wider fields of view.

Exit pupil size can also be important, larger exit pupils make it easier to position you eye.

You can calculate the magnification provided by each eyepiece (scope focal length divided by eyepiece focal length), you need to stay within the practical capabilities of your scope and viewing conditions. 

Personally I use my scopes mostly for imaging but for visual I mostly use my Baader zoom.  A good zoom eyepiece can make a great addition to your kit, especially if you are struggling to keep things centred while changing eyepieces.

Hi kingsley and welcome to SGL, the 200p Dobsonian has a good aperture and is what is often recommended as one of the best all round scopes for those just taking up Astronomy as a hobby. Often quoted as giving you the best bang for your buck, covering planetary and our local system, as well as a fair amount of deep space. Can subsequently be converted to a driven scope, by investing in one of the suitable Equatorial mounts, at some time in the future. I am sure there will be many more helpful suggestions to come, enjoy the form :) 

You all have given me alot to think about I've had a look at the 200p dobsonian and really tempted to purchase one soon the only question I have is how easy is it to transport around as the best place for star gazing is about a 20 minute drive away I do have an estate car. Thanks again 

...............estate car no problem, lay the scope on a duvet across the back seat, the base in the boot? £279 from First light optics https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

Mine used to fit in a 5 door Focus, I now have a smaller 3 door car, still not an issue. At home the scope has its own cupboard, but will take up the same amount of floor space as the average kitchen chair ( if you don't have a cupboard/closet ).
 I can lift the whole assembly and carry it  into the garden. Go look at one first if you can?

When transporting, just take your time, be methodical, and learn collimation, so you can quickly check and adjust when you arrive at the observation site.
The only issue I have with the 8" Skyliner is...........................................................there is bigger! and bigger provides more detail, and you can see fainter Stars! but comes with the extra weight, bulk, and cost, but sure do love this scope.
The weather has let me down this Year, but that affects most folk, not much negativity against this type of scope, no electrics to worry about, set-up for me is QUICK, as its already set-up 24/7 just ready to place in the garden. As soon as it hits the floor ( gently placed on the ground ) its ready to view using LOW power eyepieces. If you go to HIGH power too quickly, you wont get a good image, as the scope needs to cool to ambient to rid some of the heat from the primary mirror. all sounds technical, but its not, just place and view, and as it cools, move onto the higher powered eyepieces. the Moon is STUNNING at  at 200 - 375x power, and just inspiring when it floats in a sea of space using something like my 32mm Panaview.

there's TWO near Pompey?

Sussex Astronomy Centre
Sporting Goods Shop
Address: 16 Mulberry Ln, Worthing BN12 4JL

365Astronomy
Telescope Shop
Address: 3 Meadow Cl, Worthing BN11 2SF

Its entirely up to you where you purchase from, our sponsor FLO is always recommended, but no harm in just looking, and if you buy locally, and have an issue, you can return locally?

I have purchased from 365 in the past ( mail order )  no issues.

In-fact ( today )  the 365 deal  is a few notes under FLO if you collect locally. BUT SERIOUSLY, JUST CHECK ONE OUT FIRST. The stuff you want to see will still be there when its time to buy. You still may not like the scope?

......something to note, there are two 200P Sky-Watchers, The f/5 Explorer that is mounted on an equatorial mount, and the 200P f/6 Skyliner, both Newtonian  reflector telescopes, but my money is on the Skyliner Dobsonian variant.
I have  experience with an EQ mount, and its not worth the effort for me just for visual observations, and with an EQ system, that eyepiece and focuser can end up in the strangest of positions whilst in use, I do not like EQ for manual observation.

Archived