Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Converting to 1.25" format

A McEwan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, A McEwan said:

An interesting take on things, Gaidis! I completely agree with your first two points - very nice options!

For point three, I see where you're coming from. To explain, the Tak comes with its standard 1.25 twist-grip visual back adapter. Into this I put my Baader prism diagonal. This is the best diagonal I have. It is brighter and shows better image than my other two 2" dielectric diagonals, and is lighter as well. In order to use a 2" diagonal in the Tak, and still have most eyepieces to come to focus, I have to use a 35mm extension (actually the body off a 2x 2" Barlow!). With this in place my 2" eyepieces come to focus, but not all of my 1.25" ones! So then it's a matter of swapping everything around again, depending on what eyepiece I want to use.

I know it doesn't sound like much written down, but in the field (literally) with limited clean space and wanting to Keep It Simple, it adds an extra layer of faff that isn't necessary.

The Tak does come with its own standard 50mm extension, but that doesn't cover everything either! So it comes to yet another matter of compromise.

But... I even now have "in my basket" an ex display 24mm ES 68 degree eyepiece from Breeser.de, at only 75Euros so unless anyone talks me out of it in the time it takes to create an account and complete checkout... I'll get that anyway and be able to compare it with my 23mm Axiom LX (same as Luminos, it turns out) ;)

From what I've heard Ant, at 75 euros the 24mm ES 68 degree is well worth a punt

i got your point bud.Agree faffing around in the dark with extension tubes can become a pain.

I have personally tried both maxvision and Es 24mm 68`s and even taken them apart.ExSc is more compact,but optics wise,same.Panoptics are great,but i really doubt you will see any difference in your f9 Tak,.

good luck on this one.

2 minutes ago, Dude_with_the_tube said:

i got your point bud.Agree faffing around in the dark with extension tubes can become a pain.

I have personally tried both maxvision and Es 24mm 68`s and even taken them apart.ExSc is more compact,but optics wise,same.Panoptics are great,but i really doubt you will see any difference in your f9 Tak,.

good luck on this one.

Indeed. We do get to be a bit picky, don't we...! (it's f7.4 by the way - LOL!) ;)

I've just made a preadsheet showing my mags in the Tak and looking at it objectively, I would probably jump straight from the 24mm ES straight to 13mm Nagler, so essentially the 16-17mm focal length isn't really "needed". If that does "Pan" (sorry) out to be the case, then there's no need to replace the Nagler 17. I would hate to sell it anyway!

So from the 13mm Nagler, I could also quite happily jump straight to 6.7mm UWA. 

If the scope's focal length was longer, there would be more of a gap to fill. So for the time being, I might just see how I get on with the 24mm ES and the eyepieces I have. For now....

:)

sounds you are sorted then Ant :)  Well played on ExSc.Cracker of eye piece for silly money.

i will need to get up to your place at some point later in autumn to have a peak through that TAK :p

i might bring something rather "big" with me too for you to test.Its still in sort of testing phase at the moment but optics at the moment look very very promising.Well ok,they look excellent lol.

6 hours ago, A McEwan said:

Or maybe I'm just overthinking this and should pick up a bundle of EP's and just sell the ones I like least!!!

That you would even consider that course of action makes me feel so much better about how I've gone about this...

:happy11:

6 hours ago, A McEwan said:

To explain, the Tak comes with its standard 1.25 twist-grip visual back adapter. Into this I put my Baader prism diagonal. This is the best diagonal I have. It is brighter and shows better image than my other two 2" dielectric diagonals, and is lighter as well. In order to use a 2" diagonal in the Tak, and still have most eyepieces to come to focus, I have to use a 35mm extension (actually the body off a 2x 2" Barlow!). With this in place my 2" eyepieces come to focus, but not all of my 1.25" ones! So then it's a matter of swapping everything around again, depending on what eyepiece I want to use.

I know it doesn't sound like much written down, but in the field (literally) with limited clean space and wanting to Keep It Simple, it adds an extra layer of faff that isn't necessary.

The Tak does come with its own standard 50mm extension, but that doesn't cover everything either! So it comes to yet another matter of compromise.

It's enough to make a man want to give up the Tak and just use a... never mind.

:happy11:

(Love my Baader/Zeiss prism diagonal, as well.)

My tak 100 DL came with a wonderfully made 75mm 2" extension tube plus the 1.25" adapter and compression ring fitting but I don't use either.

To get my eyepieces to focus I use a Moonlite 50mm extension tube with the Baader / Zeiss T2 diagonal straight into that via a Baader 2" barrel unit. This combo allows all my eyepieces to reach focus with the drawtube of the focuser around 30-40% extended.

takfocuser.JPG

Well my brand new ES 24mm 68-degree eyepiece arrived yesterday!

Very nice look and feel. Quite weighty but compact. A bit like the Panoptics, that way I suppose.

No chance to try it yet, but maybe tomorrow I'll do some daylight testing and hope for a clear night again soon.

Pleased so far! :)

Sounds great Ant :icon_biggrin:

I've just purchased a Tak 30mm LE which I'll use as a lowest power eyepiece in my Tak 100. I just need to pick up something nice in 1.25" around 16mm to sit between the 30 and the 10mm XW so I have a complete 1.25" set.

I wonder what the 16mm ES 68 is like ?

Just tested the 24mm for some quick white light and terrestrial viewing.

Very nice! Used the ED80 with Herschel Wedge and the viewwas very sharp. Did notice some distortion when I panned the Sun out to the edge of field - it became oblate rather than cirular, but that's expected in this style of eyepiece and is he same in Panoptics too. I can't remember how my LVW22 fared in that regard...  :icon_scratch:

Then removed the wedge and just began looking at berries, treetops, branches etc. Nice sharp image and very comfortable to use. I think I'll njoy this eyepiece! :)

Good link for the 16mm Mark...

I think it's inherent to the eyepiece design. I remember it in previous eyepieces of similar design, including Pans, and it is mentioned in some reviews.

I don't get it with different eyepiece designs like Plossls or Ortho's. Not even saying it's a bad thing, as it is a low power eyepiece and won't be used much for planetary or even solar or lunar, and when it is, the target will be near the centre of the field anyway.

18 minutes ago, A McEwan said:

I think it's inherent to the eyepiece design. I remember it in previous eyepieces of similar design, including Pans, and it is mentioned in some reviews.

I agree.

It's the effect of pincushion distortion(PD), straight lines become arcs (outwards), most clearly in daytime. In night sky or solar, we'll see round disk becomes oval. o that's the expected result for aneyepiece with PD, All Televue eyepieces (including plossls) have PD, they should behave the same when viewing the Sun near the edge.

5 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

As always it's likely to be a combination of factors.

You can try to see white-light with Baader film in a Newt, which is flat field, and to find out how much pincushion distorts the round shape.:smiley:

FC should be able to be refocused out.

Techincally, that's absolte yes. Any sscope haas FC.

A Newt has FC as its focal lengths, so a typical newt with 1200mm FL has curvature radius of 1200mm-

Comparing to a refractor, e.g. 120 ED with FL of 900mm, the curvature radius is about 300-330mm, the refractor has more than three times FC than the Newt, yet, not many of our eyes can see the FC in 120 ED, so the FC in a newt is virtually undectectable to most of our eyes.:smiley:

On 27 August 2016 at 21:33, F15Rules said:

Hi Ant:-)

Hope you're well?

Another worth considering is the new Baader Morpheus range. Bigger than the T6 Nagler to be sure, but a lovely 76deg fov and quite light in weight. Optically very good.

I replaced my Pentax 14mm XW with the Morpheus 14mm and am very happy with it. A bargain new at c £149, some retailers have recently put them up to £169 post Brexit.

The ES 24mm 68 is also a cracking and immersive eyepiece at no too much cost (try www.Bresser.de/uk for ex display bargains).

Good luck:-)

Dave

Just managed to bag one still for £149 from Wexphotographic. All other sites have it up at the new £169 price. Even got free postage on it too, so well chuffed. Absolutely my last EP I'm going to buy for this year! ;) 

Archived