NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Converting to 1.25" format

A McEwan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been out a couple more nights and days with the Tak now and have done lots of eyepiece testing to see what comes to focus with what extension or diagonal, etc. Basically, for ease of use, in 1.25" format, everything comes to focus using the 1.25" prism diagonal, with standard 1.25" vis back and NO extension. And in the Herschel wedge, everything comes to focus with a 50mm extension. Sweet.

So for observing generally it is so much simpler to stick to 1.25" format for me. Especially given that wide field eyepeices are plenty available enough to give excellent fields in the f7.4 scope.

In fact last night I only used two eyepieces for the whole night: the 24mm ES 68-degree and the Nagler 13mm T6. For solar the BGO's really come into their own. When I look at this objectively I think I could probably just keep half a dozen eyepieces and not suffer much! (But don't think that will ever happen...!!!)   ;)

With the purchase of Shane's 17.3mm Delos I think my 1.25" set is more or less complete:

- 30mm Takahashi LE

- 17.3mm Delos

- 10mm / 7mm / 5mm / 3.5mm Pentax XW's

- Nagler zoom 2-4mm

With the exception of the Tak and the Nagler zoom, the other eyepieces weigh (roughly) the same and come to focus at around the same point.

1 more than Ant's half dozen though ! :rolleyes2:

11 minutes ago, rwilkey said:

The ES82 8.8mm would fit the bill - a lovely eyepiece in my opinion!

Ant - I agree with Robin and until recently had an ES 8.8mm and only sold it to buy a 9mm 100 degree. The price at the moment is very good at only £97 - I used this EP in my 4" f/7 APO, 8" f4.5 Newt  and my 12" f/5 Dob - all very good.

Archived