NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi! :)

baer

Like all of you, I'm fascinated with the surrounding universe and I've decided to bring it a bit closer and ordered a SW 130p.

I've read most of the introductory posts, and some of them were rather grounding. I had very high expectations and I was mostly disappointed by the lack of color which can be seen, but conversely, this made me respect the instrument and the vastness of the universe more.

The scope is arriving somewhere in September. I could actually buy it from another store for 30 euros more, but I decided to be more patient and invest that money into an eyepiece. Lately I tend to rush things and this is a great initiative to change, as stargazing will require patience as well. During this time I will do my research about the sky and I plan to read "Turn Left at Orion". If you have other recommendations, please let me know. I like books like "The Short History if Everything", "Cosmos", etc.

Thank you all for the wonderful posts and support! See you around! :)

Hi Baer.

Welcome! You have found a great place with lots of people that have years of experience and love to share their them! :)

I'm not much of a visual astronomer, but what i can never get enough of is the moon and jupiter. Both easily seen in modest equipment and very rewarding. As the moon is around a lot, its a perfect place to start. The first time i saw the craters up close it blew my mind...

Don't get your hopes too high about seeing all those colourful pictures of the universe. Those pictures are mostly hours and hours of exposures, whereby your eye does not even wait 5 milliseconds to 'take the picture'.

But there are many deep-sky objects that you can see. Very rewarding are globular clusters (hercules for example) that are fun to look at!

The best advice i got at the beginning was 'take your time - the stars are not going anywhere' :) Enjoy where it takes you.

Kind regards, Graem

Hi, baer, and welcome to SGL. All the advice you want here.

For starters, consider the difference between expectation and reality. When it comes to cameras and telescopes (indeed any kit), perception may lead you astray. Some is to do with marketing hype, and some to personal demand. Reality rules.

Secondly, download Stellarium (free). Fantastic resource to get you about the sky.

And keep asking questions.

Cheers.

Hi Baer, and welcome to SGL.

I highly recommend putting Sky Safari 5 on your smartphone if you like that sort of thing. You can easily check what's going to be where when, and gather a lot of good background information on thousands of objects.

Archived