SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Meteor or satellite? you decide

Had a great evening yesterday, imaging and observing.

Started with the moon, and later when it got dark enough I thought i'd have a go at trying to image M13 and then M57. I've not tried either before so it was a bit of an experiment and will be interesting to see what comes out of the final stack.

Anyway, while the camera was doing its thing I sat back in a comfortable garden chair to watch for meteors, and over the course of a couple of hours saw at least 10 or so. They were mostly Perseids, but as one of the frames for the area around M57 shows a definite trail I thought i'd ask for opinions. So let me know what you think. I do recall seeing one meteor in this general area, but was not looking there all the time and am not sure it comes from the right direction to be a perseid, so perhaps its just a satellite?

Image was 15 seconds at 1600 iso with a canon 6d on a bresser 127 L. The image is as it was taken, other than it being a lower res jpeg from the original raw file.

Thanks for looking  

Daniel

IMG_6512.jpg

Thanks for replies. I just checked on the website that someone posted the link to, where you can track the paths of the iss and lots of satellites, and one does come pretty close to the area at the time the frame was taken. So I suspect that's the culprit!

I did think I'd try for some genuine perseids tonight but the weather looks like it has other ideas for this are. Seem to remember it was the same last year...and the one before that!  :hmh:

That's man made for sure.  I watched on Monday 8th for about 3 hours and subjectively I would say man made objects outnumbered meteors by 3:1.  I was amazed how much stuff there is up there and that was just a NE quadrant.

Archived