NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi from Oldham

Lerxst2112

Hi everyone! I've been "lurking" on this forum for a while now and finally decided to join. I'm based in Oldham and returned to astronomy earlier this year when I dusted off my Skywatcher ST80 and showed my teenage kids Jupiter, Mars & Saturn. By day I'm a desktop support engineer for a local ISP and a budding astronomer by night... at least when these clouds finally go away!

Anyway that's all for now :icon_biggrin:

On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 21:53, spaceman_spiff said:

Welcome to SGL, from down the road in Bury! Mars and Saturn are blocked from my garden but Jupiter was visible just long enough to get a shot!

Dan :happy7:

large.Jup_3_jpg.jpg

8 hours ago, Soupy said:

Welcome to SGL. If you ever fancy going observing we use Wiscarr reservoir only maybe 15-20 miles from you. It's a pretty dark site so come join us for a session.

Great shot there spaceman_spiff. The best I managed was with a smartphone held against the eyepiece when I was on holiday in Cornwall at Easter

It does show up some of the ST80's flaws but it was still great.

@Soupy I'll have to take a look at that someday once I get my car back on the road. It would make a nice change from the "orange skies of Oldham" lol.

On 12 July 2016 at 22:36, Lerxst2112 said:

he best I managed was with a smartphone held against the eyepiece when I was on holiday in Cornwall at Easter

That's a great way to start the hobby, it won't be long before you start attaching webcams to the scope!

Archived