Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Insanely fine object.

ollypenrice

I'd never heard of this one but our guest, Paul, is not only a genius in terms of putting up with me but in terms of finding great targets. Dammit, how good is this for an Ha target? (Ha, 3 nm, 34x15mn.)  I love it! Processing? Well, a bit. Honestly, almost zilch. So here's the good news on NGC7822, full format Atik 11000 CCD at 530mm FL. Mesu 200.

NGC7822%20Ha%203nm%20web-XL.jpg

The bad news (for a natural colour imager like me) is that the signal outside Ha is not very rewarding. We have a night of OIII and a solid dose of LRGB. I haven't yet found a way of making the luminance play nicely. I'll do my best but I think I know whose name is on this one. It begins with S!!!

Olly

Had to look this up and stumbled on NASAs APOD. This nebula seems to hide some very interesting structures, comparable to the Pillars of Creation in the Eagle.

Can't wait to see the colour version.

Don't see the skull, though. Is it the central bright part, upside down?

25 minutes ago, ChrisLX200 said:

Fits nicely in the FOV! I also started on this one a few weeks back - unfortunately there have been no clear skies since to work on the OIII channel :(

ChrisH

We haven't reduced our OIII yet Chris, but the incoming data suggested not much more than a glow round the very brightest of the Ha signal here. A job for tomorrow morning. I think clouds arriving tonight are a bit of a relief for everyone, quite honestly. We're all whacked!

Olly

45 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Don't see the skull, though. Is it the central bright part, upside down?

It's looking towards the left of the picture: bright splodge at bottom is the jaws/teeth; dark splodge upper centre is the eye-socket; bright bit above that is the brow-ridge; then it bends round to the back of the skull on the right. (I think!)

Seriously, lovely pic, Olly. Personally, I quite like the b/w ones.

17 minutes ago, swag72 said:

This is a great target Olly and is already in my SGP targets for later on...... if you go downwards then you will find the dot at the bottom of the question mark in the sky .....

Over to you, Madame! :headbang:

Olly

It is a nice object and you have a great FoV there Olly.  It stacks up really well in narrow band as well.

Here is a version i did a while back http://www.astrobin.com/217679/D/ which i need to revisit as there is a lot more detail in there which, at the time i did not have the skills to process.

If you go even wider you will find it forms a celestial question mark!?

Look forward to seeing the full version.

Paddy

6 minutes ago, ChrisLX200 said:

This is odd, I thought I'd posted my own image weeks ago but cannot find it now. I don't do Astrobin anymore (deleted my account) but the Ha channel is here if interested:

http://s970.photobucket.com/user/ChrisLX200/media/Astro - Images G4-16000/sh2-171 Ha ST 002_zps3gdo1oyv.jpg.html

ChrisH

very good image Chris, well done!

Paul and Olly, you are in for a treat I think when all channels come together, and then of course we are too :-)

I never knew it was this huge.

Fine start indeed chaps!

/Jesper

10 hours ago, ChrisLX200 said:

This is odd, I thought I'd posted my own image weeks ago but cannot find it now. I don't do Astrobin anymore (deleted my account) but the Ha channel is here if interested:

http://s970.photobucket.com/user/ChrisLX200/media/Astro - Images G4-16000/sh2-171 Ha ST 002_zps3gdo1oyv.jpg.html

ChrisH

Beautiful, Chris. On looking around at other images of this I've found some ultra deep ones but the trouble is that they run the object out of dynamic range so it ends up looking like a crescent moon. I think it's essential that the image show a concentrated bright patch of main nebulosity surrounded by a fainter arc, as yours does perfectly. I've had another look at mine and realized that I was being a overly conservative on the stretch. I've worked up the contrasts a bit more in this version, too. A lower panel is clearly called for!

NGC7822%20Ha%203nm%20V3-X3.jpg

Olly

35 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Beautiful, Chris. On looking around at other images of this I've found some ultra deep ones but the trouble is that they run the object out of dynamic range so it ends up looking like a crescent moon. I think it's essential that the image show a concentrated bright patch of main nebulosity surrounded by a fainter arc, as yours does perfectly. I've had another look at mine and realized that I was being a overly conservative on the stretch. I've worked up the contrasts a bit more in this version, too. A lower panel is clearly called for!

Olly

I think the centre tends to be treated as a discrete object with the fainter surrounding parts far less often imaged :)

If you want to combine data I can offer my 12 x 1200 subs as a raw callibrated stack? Heaven knows when I'll be able to collect OIII the advance weather forecast is dire..

ChrisH

4 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

It seems you can image this with RGB, but I can't find any information on the size of this object, how large is the FOV of your image Olly?

I'ts nearly 4 x 2.6 degrees less a bit of edge cropping, Neil. You can see it in RGB for sure. Here's the colour version...

NGC7823%20HaOIIRGB%2017Hrs%20WEB-XL.jpg

9 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I'ts nearly 4 x 2.6 degrees less a bit of edge cropping, Neil. You can see it in RGB for sure. Here's the colour version...

NGC7823%20HaOIIRGB%2017Hrs%20WEB-XL.jpg

Thanks Olly, That's a biggy! It drops annoyingly into the gap between my 135mm and 400mm lenses. I'll try the 135mm Zeiss Sonnar with my x2 teleconverter next time I'm at a reasonably dark site - from here it will be lost in yellow soup! That said  the straight 135mm might get the 'question markl dot' as well.

IT looks awesome, and i've not got the skills to say otherwise lol. It really is a great target and it'll be going on my list for sure. Which is next to the list for a whole lotta AP gear lol. Stunning image!

Archived