Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best Camera for Planetary Imaging

Gina

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your QHY5L-II-C could be used first, but that sensor does suffer from sensor pattern noise. I used an ASI130MM first which has the mono variant of the sensor and needed to record darks and flats for planetary,which is unusual (especially the darks). You can get good result at F/25 or so

LRGB using ASI130MM

JupiterLRGB400.png

The ASI174MM is a very versatile option: good at solar, lunar and planetary.

IR-R-G false colour shot with ASI174MM

saturn31-05-2014-IR-RGLcomposeDrizzle.png

One shot colour is less hassle, and can produce great results.

ASI120MC Mars and Jupiter shots

Mars_232321combinedRS6-2.pngJup_211517_L_pipp.png

My current favourite in OSC is the ASI224MC, which can also do IR really well

Jupiter_201638_g4_b3_ap46_2FWRS6-3.jpg

Thank you all :)  I was wondering if my QHY5L-II-C would be suitable or whether the sensor might be a bit on the big side.  I can dismantle my all sky cam and take the camera out as it's not working ATM and needs sorting out.  Interesting that nobody has mentioned the Imaging Source cameras.  For scope I'm thinking ofusing my MN190 Mak-Newt with Barlow though I realise a dedicated scope would be better but that's off-topic :D

I was also wondering if webcams would be worth trying - I have Philips SPC900NC and Microsoft Lifecam Cinema HD but the image looks mighty small in the FOV calculator.

That ZWO ADC looks well worthwhile Michael :)

The MN190 should be fine. Its secondary obstruction is smaller than that of my C8. It does require a 5x PowerMate to work optimally with big-pixel cameras like the ASI 174MM, but 3x (or a touch more)  for  the ASI120 or ASI224 to reach F/16-F/20 which is optimal for those cameras. An ASI178MM or MC might also be interesting: A 2.5x PowerMate would be optimal for its small pixels (F/11-F/14 optimal), and it would be great for lunar as well (or even solar)

Regarding the chip size of the QHY5L-II-C: if the camera supports acquisition in ROI mode, you are fine. I think it would be superior to an SPC900NC any time.

DMK cameras (now Celestron Skyris) are rather more expensive than the excellent ZWO offerings

Thanks Michael :)  I remember seeing recommendations for PowerMates - where's the best place to buy one, FLO don't seem to sell them?

I can fully recommend a ZWO ASI224MC and an ADC also from ZWO.

And here's a 3d image of Mars done with both of those with my 20" f3.8 dob + a 5 X powermate.

Mars 3d1024.jpg

FLO are selling the ZWO ASI185MC at just a pound more than the 224 - same pixel size but bigger sensor so that seems a "no brainer".  When/if I get fed up with planetary imaging (or no suitable plantes in view) the extra size will come in handy for other things such as an all sky cam.  The QHY5II-C I've used has noise problems.  They're also selling the ZWO ADC so I'll buy that to go with it.  Now I just have to source a TeleVue 5x PowerMate.

The laptop I have been using for imaging has a USB3 port (plus one USB2 port) so that will be suitable, whether kept as Win 7 Pro or upgraded to Linux, which is something I want to do - I'll probably set up dual boot at first so I have a choice.  Looks like the otherwise nice and compact raspberry Pi doesn't do USB3 even in its latest incarnation.  How nice it would be to have the processor right on the pier head :D

Good for U Gina .The ZWO ADC is not really needed for scopes under about 8" I believe. That is what I was told.

They come into there own , on  the large aperture scopes. I was getting 150fps on Mars the other night. Have fun :thumbsup:

One day I might buy a bigger scope :D  But also I can see me wanting to image planets at low altitude such as Mars now - apart from one large tree I have a good view from east round to south west down to a few degrees above horizontal.

2 hours ago, Gina said:

FLO are selling the ZWO ASI185MC at just a pound more than the 224 - same pixel size but bigger sensor so that seems a "no brainer".  When/if I get fed up with planetary imaging (or no suitable plantes in view) the extra size will come in handy for other things such as an all sky cam.  The QHY5II-C I've used has noise problems.  They're also selling the ZWO ADC so I'll buy that to go with it.  Now I just have to source a TeleVue 5x PowerMate.

There is a difference in read noise, where ASI185MC has it bit higher.  Also most people won't have use for big color sensors as Sun/Moon is better with monochrome cameras ;)

With 3,75 pixels the optimal f/ratio will be between f/14-19 so 5x PowerMate is to much for it.

I see - I wondered about that.  About 3x then.  I have a good quality x2 Barlow and a spacer could be used to to increase it to 3x.  Maybe not as good as a PowerMate but worth a try I guess.

Archived