NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ngc6888 Crescent (wide field) in HST

ChrisLX200

Data is still a bit sparse (in the OIII and SII channels anyway), and most of this was aquired under a near-full moon. 'Aint narrow band wonderfull ;-)

Scope: TV NP127is @ 660mm f/l
CCD: Moravian G4-16000 @ 1x1
Filters: Chroma 3nM (Ha, SII and OIII)
Mount: 10-Micron GM2000HPS
Guide: unguided
Data: Ha 12 x 1200s, OIII 5 x 1800s, SII 5 x 1800s

ngc6888%20HST_zpshuj7rzo2.jpg

ChrisH

Thanks Steve, yes the camera and filters perform well, still have a bit of a problem with SGPro which doesn't handle the very large image files very well (memory issues) but I have a work-around.

ChrisH

Thanks everyone, there's still a long way to go on this before it's finished. I'm now up to 7 hours on the Ha channel and the improvement over 2hrs is not huge so I think I'll be leaving it there. I really need the OIII channel but that has to wait until the Moon has gone - the OIII data I already have is poor simply because I was impatient and captured it under a near-full Moon.

The SoapBubble is starting to show (cropped out to make it easier to find!)

SoapBubble_zpsff0cs8mg.jpg

It's in here somewhere if you can find it ;-)

ngc6888%20Ha%20ST%20002_zpsgmgk001b.jpg

ChrisH

I'm a fan of the background, which is stunningly structured and interesting. I'm impressed by the extreme colour contrast of the Crescent but (call me a fuddy duddy!) it's a bit too much for me. I'd like to see the OIII blue contribution eased down in saturation just a bit.

Great stuff though.

Olly

Yes Olly, that version was a bit of a disaster and I'm not sure what happened there, maybe the palette used to display on this monitor was different. Saturation went into meltdown (not just a bit - you're being too diplomatic!) Anyway, I;ve added more data and processed it correctly (I hope...) ;-)

get.jpg

ChrisH

A bit of fun - finder cam video of Cygnus rising over my hedge, taken while aquiring above image data on Crescent Neb (it went cloudy towards the end!) Using a GPCAM2 with 20sec exposures, time scale is about 2 hrs.

ChrisH

9 hours ago, ChrisLX200 said:

Yes Olly, that version was a bit of a disaster and I'm not sure what happened there, maybe the palette used to display on this monitor was different. Saturation went into meltdown (not just a bit - you're being too diplomatic!) Anyway, I;ve added more data and processed it correctly (I hope...) ;-)

get.jpg

ChrisH

Perfect. I love the way this discrete object is just hanging there in space. A stunning image. Unforgettable.

Olly

Many Thanks Olly and Gina ;-)

After adding the final data set it looks different again, but I;ve posted so many versions by now I'll just leave it as it is! Final total was over 20hrs integration..

ChrisH

10 minutes ago, whipdry said:

Hi Chris,

I've been following this post & I must say feel deprived at not seeing the final image!

Hope you have a change of heart & let us all see it, pretty please.

Peter

Oh okay... ;-) But I won't be re-processing it again that's for sure!

HST%20image%20002_zpshx4qhtix.jpg

ChrisH

Archived