Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show us your... books?

Wasn't sure where to post this, but books are a part of our observing setup, at least for some of us anyway. 

There are so many amazing, interesting, controversial, useful and downright enjoyable books out there for our hobby. Let's see some of your favourites. Here's a trio to start us off:

books1.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not exactly "books" of such more things that are readable to do with astronomy.

2 Telescope brochures, i like to have a browse at would i could get if i were rich. 2 Notepads to jot down sighting dates and observing conditions with a few other bits and bobs. Sky at night magazine is a nice read to see whats happening the world of astronomy. 101 objects gives a good rundown of objects during different months which you are able to see. Very interesting and have been using that book for a lot of sightings. Guide to the night sky is a monthly sky-map with a calendar of events happening throughout the months. Lastly 2 books about amazing discoveries and space itself, both very interesting reads.

20160521_193058.jpg

These two books are two absolute must-haves for me. I love Sue's writing style and the way she describes the objects. Full of little anecdotes and references to real-life observing too. Just love them!

sky.jpg

29 minutes ago, A McEwan said:

I kind of assumed EVERYONE had a copy of TLAO! ;)

Grab'n'Go looks interesting...

Yes the grab and go is good - my observing sessions are generally not long so I have a preference for kit that is very easy to set and take down. 

1 hour ago, Martin Meredith said:

Coincidentally, I had a nice surprise waiting when I reached my hotel in the US today.... 

books.png

Martin

Martin,

How do you like "Annals of the Deep Sky" They must be good because you have 3 volumes.

Mark, if you look closely they're still mainly in their wraps... so, not had time to open them all yet. But the reviews I've read convinced me that they're a very useful addition to the library of any lover of the deep sky. This might mean I'm in for the entire set, but unless Willman-Bell bring down their postage rates to Europe I'll be buying them en masse on my sporadic trips to the States. I was quite surprised by the relative sizes. I expected the clusters book to be quite small and the Annals to be larger. Looking at vol 1 of the Annals it seems that a relatively small number of objects are treated in a lot of detail, with a lot of astrophysical detail thrown in. This is what I'd hoped to see, and I imagine the other volumes are similar. It certainly is very different from the types of guides that do little more than list a great many objects, with a few words on each. 

Martin

I have a bunch of magazines and a ton of other science related books. I still want about 3-5 more astronomy related books that I am sure ill find invaluable. The second picture, Brian Greene's book was actually the library's book I forgot to return and subsequently had to purchase haha.

books.jpg

book1.jpg

Archived