Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your... books?

On my to buy list.

Telescopes, Eyepieces, Astrographs, Design, Analysis and performance of Modern Astronomical Optics by Smith, Ceragioli and Barry, Willmann- Bell

"Telescope Optics, A comprehensive manual for amateur astronomers"  by Rutten & Van Venrooij, willmann bell

Joe Geary" Optical Testing" and Suiter's "Star Testing" are two others.

Also looking for future recommendations for building truss tube newtonian designs and handgrinding mirrors.

T

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't gotten to Hadfield's book yet. Just finishing up Math course in night school in the next couple weeks.

Then I want to read that one and start learning electronics a bit more. Finish reading my Electronics for Dummy's book. 

1 hour ago, Tyson M said:

On my to buy list.

Telescopes, Eyepieces, Astrographs, Design, Analysis and performance of Modern Astronomical Optics by Smith, Ceragioli and Barry, Willmann- Bell

"Telescope Optics, A comprehensive manual for amateur astronomers"  by Rutten & Van Venrooij, willmann bell

Joe Geary" Optical Testing" and Suiter's "Star Testing" are two others.

Also looking for future recommendations for building truss tube newtonian designs and handgrinding mirrors.

T

The classic truss tube dob book is Kriege and Berry, which I have. Then there's a more recent one by Albert Highe I think, which I don't. Both are from Willmann-Bell.

Only had a quick flick thru the first on your list (Hillock Smith) and it looks extremely comprehensive. If only we had a cheaper source for these excellent books in Europe. Perhaps a big enough group purchase could be arranged every 3 months or so?

Martin

18 minutes ago, Martin Meredith said:

Only had a quick flick thru the first on your list (Hillock Smith) and it looks extremely comprehensive. If only we had a cheaper source for these excellent books in Europe. Perhaps a big enough group purchase could be arranged every 3 months or so?

Martin

If you were to have only one book about telescope's pro's and con's, it would be that book, I've been advised.

Wow - a lot of good book collections! Here's mine - I thought it maybe I had too many books but now I don't feel like my collection is too bad!

Here's my books with the exception of my "Atlas of The Heavens" which is too big for the bookshelf!

Best book - Burnham's Celestial Handbooks - it's always exciting getting these out for a look.

Best map (visual observing) - S&T Pocket Star Atlas or Interstellarium - I can't decide!

Most ridiculously advanced book - Star Testing Astronomical Telescopes - this is insanely hard going - large chunks of it I don't understand and never will!

Worst book - tie - (1) Sun - I thought this was a big coffee table book and that it must be a bargain at only £1 or so on Amazon. It turns out to be a tiny little book - with not much about the sun and some boring pictures. (2) Cosmogeny of the Solar System (Fred Hoyle) - bought for a few pence in a second hand book store - turns out to be quite unscientific (imo) - with the author getting caught up too much in their own theories.

P1000857.JPG

Nice collection Paz. Wouldn't mind some of them myself. Suiter is hard going; it became a little easier after I got my head around modulation transfer functions, but is still a tough read. 

Very interesting to see how many of us have the 3 battered volumes of Burnham's on our shelves. They're still ridiculously cheap to pick up second hand.

Martin 

• 2 weeks later...

Great  collections in this thread. Some from mine:

WP_20160604_004.jpg

WP_20160604_002.jpg

Professional astronomers have little use now for old catalogues etc as all the data is online. Which means there are plenty of bargains to be had for the astrobibliophile as old library copies get sold off. And there are plenty of used books for amateur astronomers that can be found cheaply by trawling Amazon, alibris etc. It's perhaps the one nice thing about the fact that books seem largely to have gone out of fashion with the smartphone/tablet generation...

WP_20160604_007.jpg

These are nice but took some searching and weren't so cheap:

WP_20160604_008.jpg

This is one I'm looking for - all I've managed so far is a library copy that I borrowed and photocopied. It's a record of observations made with the 72" Leviathan by Rosse and others. Would be very nice to have!

WP_20160604_009.jpg

WP_20160604_012.jpg

Archived