NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Wadas forum

WADAS

Hope it is clear for anyone going to Winscar this evening. Was hoping to join you if it's clear, but I don't think I'm going to make it. Myself and Woozy only managed 3 hours sleep last night after drinks and games of Cards Against Humanity with the gang. It's been good to get to a new astro event and meet new people. However, I think I'll be heading home after the social supper tonight and heading straight to bed. Fingers crossed for you all for Winscar :)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, mapstar said:

I'm going to head for the same. Be good to get out hope the weather picks up.

Will post on the events page 

Just checked some forecasts 17:33 2/7/16 , for later tonight - ACCU weather says reasonably clear with wind easing, MET OFFICE Partly Cloudy, looks like it will be not too bad tonight !! will check the events page later

20 hours ago, Vicky050373 said:

Hope it is clear for anyone going to Winscar this evening. Was hoping to join you if it's clear, but I don't think I'm going to make it. Myself and Woozy only managed 3 hours sleep last night after drinks and games of Cards Against Humanity with the gang. It's been good to get to a new astro event and meet new people. However, I think I'll be heading home after the social supper tonight and heading straight to bed. Fingers crossed for you all for Winscar :)

Bit too Cloudy and light to be honest so didnt get the camera out, did view Saturn/Jupiter/Mars & M31 plus M13, Poor viewing really packed up just after 2am,

PS: Motorway closed at J39 diverted off down Denby Dale rd, got flashed by a speed camera just at it changes from 40 to 30mp lol, waiting for the letter in the post now !!

eric

10 minutes ago, 2STAR said:

Bit too Cloudy and light to be honest so didnt get the camera out, did view Saturn/Jupiter/Mars & M31 plus M13, Poor viewing really packed up just after 2am,

PS: Motorway closed at J39 diverted off down Denby Dale rd, got flashed by a speed camera just at it changes from 40 to 30mp lol, waiting for the letter in the post now !!

eric

Oh dear sorry to hear that Eric. Expensive night and I can sympathise.

Saturn was nowhere near what it was last time. Really poor and very blurry. Didn't get to look at Mars as it was just too low

7 minutes ago, 2STAR said:

eric

No! Not good news about the speed camera Eric. Hope you don't get hit with a fine, but they are quite keen to be honest. Pleased to hear a few of you got out for a meet up, but shame about the clouds bringing an early finish to the night. Seems like you got a bit of viewing in, and any time at the eyepiece is always relished.

I finally got home at 11.45pm after a tiring and lengthy journey home due to road closures, diversions and endless miles of 50mph speed restrictions on the M60/M62. However I had a really good time at the North West Astronomy Festival with Woozy and Jim. Met plenty of new astro people and it was good to finally meet people I have only previously spoken to via Facebook or Twitter. Had a good chat with Andrew Davies (AstroFarm) who is the main organiser of NWAF. The speakers were also very good and included Jane Green (who's book I bought and had signed), Nigel Henbest and Heather Couper. These 3 speakers were joined by solar and Astro imager Gary Palmer for the Q&A session which closed yesterday's event. I will definitely go again, but more than likely book for both Saturday and Sunday, as I will be missing the Nick Howes talk today and also a workshop by Gary Palmer. Don't think I'll be doing much today - a quiet afternoon on the sofa watching a movie is more than likely on the cards :) 

Sorry to hear about the speeding fine Eric. 

I was out in York last night so could not make it out with you all. Apart from the speeding I hope you all had a good night and managed some good viewing. 

1 hour ago, Mark62 said:

Sorry to hear about the speeding fine Eric. 

I was out in York last night so could not make it out with you all. Apart from the speeding I hope you all had a good night and managed some good viewing. 

45 years driving Mark, my first Traffic Offence lol, no excuse just have to take it on the chin lol when the dreaded letter arrives, dont think I was too much over , i hit the brakes just seconds before it zapped me , but  still over.

eric

20 hours ago, rich6626 said:

Oooer just seen this, bit late to make it now!! Hope everyone has a good night, seems reasonably clear in Overton tonight forr the first time in about 4 weeks....:clouds1:

I will be out in the back yard tonight probably for a couple of hours after 11pm, if it is clear enough, looks ok so far

Think he drives the scope and tows the focus!

Shame about the flash Eric, but all depends on your speed 10% + 2 might just get away with it!

Skies looking good for tonight. 

SGL is having a wobble again lol

I was going to say that the sky WAS looking good my way, but has progressively got more milky as the evening has progressed. Don't think I'll get any astronomy done tonight which is a shame as there is no moon. Has anyone got good skies or has it gone poor everywhere?

Sky has cleared up quite nicely again. Mars is lovely and bright. Unfortunately, so is the sky and it's that pesky thing called work again in the morning so no Astronomy for me tonight. Hope some of you get some time at the eyepiece :)

@mapstar I was writing my notes up from Saturday, and found some old notes with M15 on it, it said something like "faint and fuzzy, no stars discernible" (this would have been at home, in my old EQ5 mounted 8" reflector) - it was a little bit different at Winscar in your scope, even under the light skies.

(insert appropriate "aperture fever" emoji here) :help2:

3 hours ago, rockystar said:

@mapstar I was writing my notes up from Saturday, and found some old notes with M15 on it, it said something like "faint and fuzzy, no stars discernible" (this would have been at home, in my old EQ5 mounted 8" reflector) - it was a little bit different at Winscar in your scope, even under the light skies.

(insert appropriate "aperture fever" emoji here) :help2:

Thanks for the info Lee.

It's probably as much about darker skies as about aperture (22" does make a difference) 

Accurate notes are a boon on an object like M15. Stars discernible to the core make these look three dimensional. M103 was very nice too even as you say with the skies as bright as it was.

Did anyone get out last night as the sky looked pristine where I was 

I didn't get out as I had to be up about 5:30am to go to a funeral of an old friend and work colleague, but I went out just to look up anyway. Hopefully as the nights start to draw in we will get some  more clear skies. 

On 7/2/2016 at 17:01, Vicky050373 said:

I saw a nice  Meteor it came from one of 3 predicted showers Saturday night probably Southern Aquarids, unfortunately every one else had their eyes in the scopes at the time.

Archived