Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help please - recommendations for 5 year old

Hi, I'm very new to all of this I hope someone can help.

my son is just about to turn 5 and has started showing an interest in space. We were thinking about getting him a telescope or binoculars for his birthday, we would also like to use them so would like something half decent, we have a budget of around £150 (I know not massive but didn't want to spend a huge amount in case he gets fed up like kids do) wouldn't mind something a little over budget if we're able to find it second hand.

can anyone recommend anything? If binoculars they would need to be lightweight or be able to mount to a tripod. 

Thanks in advance :)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will take a look at that thank you @Physopto ! he won't be left on his own with it while he's so young as he will need help I'm guessing and it won't be treated as a toy he is quite sensible. is this good enough for us to use too as we are also interested in seeing what's out there! 

It is very basic, but I was thinking about little fingers and their evil ways. :p

If you want better it can cost. Depends upon exactly what you want.  A cradle DOB is the obvious choice for views but not easy for a small child to use. They will need elevating to a suitable position and constant supervision, lest they fall off the chair or ladders. You need to think a bit about what you want to do.

Derek

This might also be worth considering - very simple but perhaps a good starter at 5-years old? Suggest helped by Google Sky app on Mum & Dad's smartphone for guidance, so you know what you're looking at and can help him.  

http://www.tringastro.co.uk/sky-watcher-infinity-76p-childrens-telescope-3174-p.asp?gclid=CjwKEAjw9Zu5BRCS_OuVibujhQ0SJAD7t4KrN63WUgOMNvZZrMbddkHW5xBNOPTs7efgJZb4d6ZXGBoCbvXw_wcB

This is what I use with our local Scout group, think its a 114mm on a non standard base (you could use a table) so the 100mm mentioned previously should be fine.

One  problem we have with it is the visual finder which the younger kids have issues with. I would consider getting a cheap red dot finder, luckily the scope you have been directed to already has one so no problems there.

image.png

For sharing then this mount has tracking which means the object will stay in view, is very portable and all can use.

The virtuoso mount is being used by a member on here for their young family favorably. 

Link here

I use one with my selection of small telescopes and dslr camera. Also expanded it to goto and have an adaptor to control it from my android tablet.

Lauren,

I started out with a Skywatcher Heritage Flextube 130P Dobsonian, which costs £129 from our sponsor First Light Optics and is also widely available from other astronomy stores.

It is a very robust little scope and would be suitable for both adults and children (with supervision) and is a very capable instrument. I know of at least one very serious galaxy hunter here on SGL who owns one of these as his only telescope. Views of the Moon and Jupiter are fantastic in these scopes, even with the standard eyepieces they come with.

Best of luck :wink:

Derek

2 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

For sharing then this mount has tracking which means the object will stay in view, is very portable and all can use.

The virtuoso mount is being used by a member on here for their young family favorably. 

Link here

I use one with my selection of small telescopes and dslr camera. Also expanded it to goto and have an adaptor to control it from my android tablet.

That's a nice scope 160

Take the so called magnifications with a large pinch of salt. Lots of these cheap scopes are not that good and can give very  disappointing viewing.

Moriniboy's suggestion is a good one,  but bear in mind that the child has to be elevated to see through it unless used on the ground. Then you have the problems of being  on your knees, it soon will hurt. Plenty of people use elevated scopes as used at open days for the public. Sunderland Astro Soc do a lot of these and are very popular with the general public. But then it is only for a short time of use. A scope that can be placed up to a reasonable level for yourselves and then at a lower one for the child may suite. A chil=ds attention span may not last that long!

You have to weigh up if what you want is purely for the child or for your own use as well.

Derek

For a 5 year old I suggest a refractor, they are easier to maintain, and he does not have to learn that he looks in at one side and angle to what the scope points. Basically you/he points the scope at the object of sky to be observed. 5 year olds want to see and see instantly, just concerned that getting used to a dobsonian mount of any sort may take time and more then 20 minutes is likely too long. It is too long for me never mind a 5 year old, equally people have argued whether I had yet made it to 5 yet.

I like the Celestron Astromaster 102 from Tring which at present is £180 - apologies but it is over price - the scope (on the technical side) is f/6.6 so less chromatic aberations then the f/5 achro's.

There are smaller ones, a 90mm and a 70mm, which to be honest would do fine especially as interest can disappear fast. Perhaps the 70mm which is £80 (again Tring). It will show a lot of stuff, my most used scope is a 70mm achro. The 90mm is £140. All are on a manual Alt/Az mount, suggest you avoid the EQ mounts for now.

Reason for the above is they are simple, and robust, and where a 5 year old is involved that is probably a basic but essential requirement.

One aspect is that the scope bit tends to be just the start, if he maintains an interest then you can expect to need to purchase a few more eyepieces for both additional lengths and improved quality.

one thing to remember is that it doesn't get dark until 9:30 - 10pm at this time of year, so probably a little bit late for a 5 year old. So if it is his birthday soon, he may not get a chance to use it for a couple of months.

Are you anywhere near Heaton Park? They run an astronomy evening on a Thursday night (stopped now for the summer, but they start up again in Sept\Oct), it might be worth taking him down there to ask some questions and have a look through some scopes - as long as it is clear, they have telescopes out and everyone is usually happy to let people have a look. This might give a better indication on his interest and concentration.

At a push, I'd probably tempted to point you towards something like this: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-astromaster-series/celestron-astromaster-70az.html it is on a simple Alt/Az mount (rather than an Equatorial which can be a little bit counter intuitive), and is well within your budget and a cost I wouldn't be as worried about writing off if the interest isn't maintained and it is a very capably telescope (and it looks like a 5-year-old probably expects a telescope to look) - they also do a 90mm version, which has better light gathering capability if you want to go up to the next level.

Most of all enjoy being outside with him and teaching him the constellations, maybe read up on some of the fun mythology, and keep that interest going :-)

Crikey! It seems it's not as simple as I thought! I'm thinking a table top one may be better in terms of setting it up easily and for storage? Please correct me if I'm wrong! Is there much difference between the skywatcher heritage 100p and the 130p? 

What at about the skywatcher heritage 76? That seems too cheap to be any good but it's worth an ask! 

Also does anyone have any recommendations for books for children To teach them more about space or any apps to make finding things any easier? 

Thank you all for your help so far! 

:)

If it's for you too, I'd stretch to a new 150p if possible, or there's a 2nd hand one in A1 condition on Astroboot for £139!

It's f7 too, I know that probably doesn't mean too much at the mo, but it will give you more options on the eyepiece front later on.

If not, the other suggestions are great, but I would avoid the "Pingu" 76mm, it's just not steady enough on the base.

For junior who just wants to look, and a scope that'll also give mum 'n' dad some fun and challenges - I'd recommend the Virtuoso. But You want as much aperture as budget allows so go for the 114P rather than the 90 if you can. If you're not fussed about electronics then go for the 130P suggested above. Welcome to the forum - enjoy! :)

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/heritage/skywatcher-heritage-114p-virtuoso.html

Thanks @brantuk were gadget lovers, the virtuoso seems cool from what I've managed to see of it on YouTube! Me being silly didn't think about things moving so it would be really hard to show my son things if they've gone by the time he looks through it! I think I may go for one of those, slightly over budget but worth it if we can all enjoy it! Any idea how much the goto things are ? And are you able to link to an iPad? I'm thinking that with us being complete amateurs it would be easier to spot things that way! 

Yup - tracking is a valuable tool when showing your kids objects in the sky - or anyone for that matter. The goto handsets aren't cheap - around £200 last time I looked - but there are ways to link up to a pc/laptop and I believe there's software out now that enables linking to an Ipad - but the name of it evades me at the moment - I'll find it for you and post back here.

Two points worth noting - Mirror based scopes do give you the best bang for your buck, and the larger the aperture, the more you're going to see, deeper into space. :)

So excited to get one! i tested the water earlier and asked my son how cool it would be if we could look through a real telescope, he was thrilled that he might be able to see the "aliens and jelly" on the moon! I hope he's not too dissapointed! :)

Here's the handset - choose "Handset + Cable for AZ Synscan:  £169" for the Virtuoso.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-synscan-v4-handset.html

For the Ipad connection it will require "Skywire" but I don't think it's available for AZ/goto mount (only for EQ/goto ones). Here's a thread where it's discussed - but does get a tad technical. If it does work at all it will also require the goto handset and Sky Safari software.

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/417797-celestron-virtuoso-how-to-add-goto/

I would advise you hold fire on the tech add-on's for a while - you'll have a lot to learn and do using a scope for the first time and training junior lol :)

When/if you do eventually go for the tech add-ons it's best to talk at length with the retailer to ensure compatability amongst all components. In this sense I can thoroughly recommend FLO - they will look after you well and post sales service is second to none. :)

With telescope choosing it is a balance,  the price is either reflected in the mount or in the telescope.

The Heritage 130p has a manual mount so the money is paying for the bigger telescope.

The Virtuoso (which ever flavour) the money is paying for the electronic mount.

Doesn't mean either is right or wrong it is about deciding for you which would work better and get used.

The Heritage 130p earlier in April showed me a moon transit on Jupiter I was watching the moon's shadow play over the surface (tiny but I could see it though this was not using the supplied 10mm but my own eyepeice). The mount needs to be moved manually so Jupiter soons glides out the other side of the eyepeice easy enough to nudge along but needs practice to get it right as easy to over shoot the target.

The Moon looks fantastic in pretty much any telescope.

Archived