NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

a home for new glass....

estwing

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A custom ply case would probably be better Calv. Slightly larger than the mirror it would protect the coated surface a lot better. The old books describe cases with 3 wedges that rested on the bevel but I can only remember seeing smaller mirror boxes done like that.

Keeping it indoors would add to cool down time's though :sad:

How is it to be transported to the recoating  premises?
If you are transporting it personally, then it ought to be placed in a custom made and very sturdy  18mm Plywood case
with suitable stability pegs. one in each corner, shaped to fit in the corners, with a protruding lip to engage the  edge of the disc.
These pegs should be of a height that permits the screwed down lid to contact them, and hold them in place.
You know how careful you need to be if you are doing the trip yourself, but if you are going to use a Carrier, then 
place a warning on the lid this way up, and stating the extreme value  of the Item inside, that it is Glass, and nothing but the gentleness of Care 
is required when handling.
I recall many years ago, our Society despatched our  18" for re aluminising to David Sindens Optical Shop, it was deemed to have been adequately protected,
but shortly after arriving a Dave's shop,  he phoned our Secretary with the bad news the mirror had been damaged in transit.
I won't name the Carrier, even though they are no longer in business, but there was clear evidence the container had impacted the ground
The repair bill came to £2,000 The 4 Inch thick disc, had to have one inch removed to overcome the huge chip taken out by the fall.
I'm sure you will treat your objective with Kid Gloves, and hopefully all will end well. I wouldn't wish  the heartbreak we suffered on anyone else.
Don't forget insurance, it has to be worth it. I'm pleased ours was covered, had it not been the loss would have been total, and the Society
once more having only 8 and 6 Inch scopes to work with. The 18" drew loads of visitors to the Observatory, especially during Annual  Astronomy Weeks. 

just a thought cal, i will be at 00 tuesday but if you buy a mirror of them and they ship it, it will come in some kind of carton/box. i bet they would sell you something suitable. im going to ask them for mine

I saw a very nice mirror case posted on a thread made by - apologies if I am wrong - not sure but it might have been Quoaor.

It was like a routed out circular area in a block of wood, with recesses for gripping the mirror when placing in and lifting out.  A curved clamp came in from the side, tightening onto the side edge of the mirror, holding it in place. Then there was like a hinged and latched lid.  There was clearance to the mirror front surface, and good protection for transport.  It looked nicely thought out and made... It was on a thread I think about keeping dust off your mirror when not in use if I remember correctly...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived