Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ASI1600mm cool

Andyb90

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a 10m dark with gain of 500 and temperature of -25°C.  Resized and saved in PNG format - histogram untouched.  I believe the light corners on the right to be amp glow.  It can be calibrated out.

Dark_2016-09-18_20-20-25_2016-09-18_20-20-25_600s__-25C.png

Following the advice given to me by Robin, I reduced the turbo USB setting way down (from 90 to 40) and this completely solved the problems I was having with sharpcap. So I applied the same principle to APT and all of those problems have also been resolved. I have now run off a set of 100 bias frames using APT at 0.000032s and it behaved perfectly. This tip, therefore, may be of use to anyone else having 'stuck on busy' results with APT (or sharpcap) & this camera on USB2. The reduction in the USB setting is going to make this camera a bit of a non-starter for planetary imaging, but it was not primarily for that that this camera was purchased. For longer (DSO) shots the reduction in download speed will be less of an overhead/sub.

Having read that APT turned-off the cooler program when a plan is running, I was rather surprised at how well the temperature held: it only rose from -20° to -19.7° during the 100 exposure plan (which ran for about 30m at the new download speed), and this was still being reported as being -20° [37° below ambient] in the log window (see screenprint).

So I guess the fact that I can now use the camera would explain why the weather has taken a sudden turn for the worse ... and is expected to remain that way for the foreseeable future...

Thanks.

screenprint.png

Glad you got it sorted DP. It's one of the main issues ZWO cite in their literature. When FireCapture starts up a warning to reduce USB traffic flashes up. It caught me out at first, (see pg5) even with USB3 and a quickish computer, but once it was reduced to the lowest setting no further issues.

Glad you fixed it :)  I run with a USB traffic setting of 40 too.  APT does run the Cooling Aid while running plans I found.  I tried running a plan before the temperature reached set-point and it continued going down as the plan was running.  After the set-point temperature is reached APT stops the plan but leaves the temperature at the set-point.

Install the camera's latest drivers. Connect camera to computer and then start APT. Apt should recognise the driver and connect. 

In the log (bottom left) it should display if successfully connected to camera.

On 20/09/2016 at 10:15, SkyBound said:

It is almost exactly the same size as the Atik 383 chip, which is 18mm X 13.5mm 

the ASI1600 is 17.7mm X 13.3mm and a 21.9 diagonal

:)

It's basically a 4/3 sensor, 30>40% smaller than APS-C and a quarter of a full frame.

Having virtually given up imaging from home with DSLRs you naughty imagers are tempting me back in. :icon_biggrin:

Who is using this camera with moderate to bad LP and what results are you getting.

Please tell me it's rubbish with LP so my wallet can breath a bit easier. :icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

1 hour ago, Demonperformer said:

When I get the chance to use mine 'in anger', I will let you know - because my LP is pretty bad!

24 minutes ago, cosmojaydee said:

I have had mine a week or so, not used as yet, I live in Wigan so LP is pretty bad, having tried many software programs with the camera indoors , I am loving SGpro 

Mike, these should set you straight again. Remember all those nights cursing at the clouds? Isn't that a thing of the past for you? :grin::grin:

21 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Mike, these should set you straight again. Remember all those nights cursing at the clouds? Isn't that a thing of the past for you? :grin::grin:

Exactly what I just posted in another thread.

I still want to do my own, as well as get data elsewhere.

BTW
I think the clouds followed me to New Mexico. :icon_biggrin:

On 9/24/2016 at 15:31, Allinthehead said:

What cooling and warming times are you guys using? 

I go to -20 in 2 minutes. Takes a bit longer usually, but it kept at -20 easily for the last few months which had some warm evenings. It is significantly quieter than my 414.

On 24/09/2016 at 15:31, Allinthehead said:

What cooling and warming times are you guys using? 

I use APT's Cooling/Warming Aid tools to control temperature in 5C steps. Takes about 5mins to cool but warming takes a bit longer (safer perhaps?).

Occasionally use FireCapture but that is simply 'cooling on/cooling off' so is faster both ways (certainly under 5mins). Feel happier with APT's control though.

Archived