ASI1600mm cool

Andyb90

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Magnus_e said:

Here is a single sub from that session.

Baader Ha, 300sec, Gain 139, Offset 21, Gamma 50 @-30c

Excellent composition - this object is a favourite of mine and I really like the way you've positioned the star (Menkib?)

Well done - look forward to the finished result

David

Hi Magnus

Me again, I just noticed something going on with the stars in the left hand corners of the image. They have become elongated. Maybe you need to use a flattener and if you are then the 55 mm spacing distance needs to be checked. I'm not an expert, just an observation.

10 minutes ago, alcol620 said:

Hi Magnus

Me again, I just noticed something going on with the stars in the left hand corners of the image. They have become elongated. Maybe you need to use a flattener and if you are then the 55 mm spacing distance needs to be checked. I'm not an expert, just an observation.

Thats correct. I have narrowed it down to tilt. On TODO list :)

On 15/01/2017 at 18:00, Notty said:

I'm assuming the bright band along the top is "amp glow"?  What's the best way to get rid of that?

Uncooled 90 Ha Elephants Trunk.jpg

From what I've seen amp glow tends to occur on longer exposures. Do you get the effect with a dark frame of the same exposure, temp and gain?

Andy.

20 hours ago, Andyb90 said:

From what I've seen amp glow tends to occur on longer exposures. Do you get the effect with a dark frame of the same exposure, temp and gain?

Andy.

I will try a dark next time I'm home.  30s/300 isn't a very long exposure/gain though is it?  Temp was ambient as my incompetence with SGP hadn't turned the cooler on doh.

Hi there!  Ive had this camera for a while but only just managed to get anything half decent from it. 

Been struggling with it and getting to grips with SGP and totally new to a dedicated astro camera and narrowband imaging.

Anyhow got this the other night Baader 7nm Ha  58 x 120s  gain 300 offset 21 and -25c. Quite pleased with it.

Rosette Nebula-.jpg

After many weeks (months even) uming and arring over this or the Atik 460 I decided to go for the Atik (this will be in April) and now you put this up lol, great image. The nagging in the back of my head is I am most succesfull with 120-180 subs my guiding stays spot on all night, 

21 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

Ha ha cwit1. I knew i recognised that view. I'm at the same as you with 50 second subs and gain 399 offset 15. Check out the amp glow. Sw ed 80 too.

rossette288.jpg

Ha Ha twins mabee !  Have you tried darks for the amp glow?

45 minutes ago, brrttpaul said:

After many weeks (months even) uming and arring over this or the Atik 460 I decided to go for the Atik (this will be in April) and now you put this up lol, great image. The nagging in the back of my head is I am most succesfull with 120-180 subs my guiding stays spot on all night, 

Hi, I too thought about the Atik 460 but decided to go with the ZWO as my guiding is not that good and also the idea of shorter subs ( though more of them) means that i probably wont have to loose as much intergration time by discarding bad subs.  Plus its a good bit cheaper :icon_biggrin:   Chris.

1 minute ago, Allinthehead said:

Sure is. Have you any images with this setup of really bright stars as i tend to get a strange artifact. Do you get this?.

jelly.png 

I haven't had much time to try out this camera yet what with the awful weather, software gremlins and work etc so I dont have anything to compare yet sorry, but first chance i get ill try on a bright star an let you know.  

Is that one with a Ha filter?  Great detail in the nebula by the way !!   Chris.

28 minutes ago, cwit1 said:

Hi, I too thought about the Atik 460 but decided to go with the ZWO as my guiding is not that good and also the idea of shorter subs ( though more of them) means that i probably wont have to loose as much intergration time by discarding bad subs.  Plus its a good bit cheaper :icon_biggrin:   Chris.

yeah the price is also a factor with me, working it out with filters, filter wheel etc its near enough a grand difference. The only thing that is putting me off the ZWO if im honest is  the gain/offset and the amp glow, but in saying that there does seem to be more of a guideline to it now people have been experimenting with it. And I always got the starlightxpress if I want to go longer subs I suppose. I seem to talk myself into it then change my mind over and over wish I was more decissive

1 hour ago, Allinthehead said:

Sure is. Have you any images with this setup of really bright stars as i tend to get a strange artifact. Do you get this?.

jelly.png 

The artifact around bright stars is a diffraction pattern from the regular array of sensor microlenses reflected back onto the sensor from the sensor coverglass which sits a fraction of a millimetre above the microlenses.  There are links to many examples from the ASI1600MM in this Cloudy Nights thread.

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/555844-pleiadesbright-and-bringing-out-the-microlens-diffraction/

There is nothing the user can do to prevent this, aside from avoiding bright stars.

Mark

11 minutes ago, sharkmelley said:

The artifact around bright stars is a diffraction pattern from the regular array of sensor microlenses reflected back onto the sensor from the sensor coverglass which sits a fraction of a millimetre above the microlenses.  There are links to many examples from the ASI1600MM in this Cloudy Nights thread.

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/555844-pleiadesbright-and-bringing-out-the-microlens-diffraction/

There is nothing the user can do to prevent this, aside from avoiding bright stars.

Mark

Hmmm, not sure you have micro lens on a mono camera, thought that was just colour...!

but I may be wrong :)

Archived