Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ASI1600mm cool

Andyb90

Thanks for this thread. Incredibly interesting.  I've read the whole lot, all 34 pages. Phew! What happened in April this year that you 16 hundreders stopped posting to this thread? :)

I'm a DSLR imager who has been hesitating for sometime about which mono cooled camera to move up to. 

Recent advice to me on this subject was that the 1600 wasn't a good option for several reasons, and that perhaps an atik 460ex or similar might be better. But having read all this thread, I'm not convinced of this. Firstly, several other members have made the DSLR to 1600 transition and secondly it strikes me that if I'm going to get to grips with mono imaging it might as well be this camera as any other. 

Any views on this from old hands at mono imagers. And what's the advice from people who have made this jump from DSLR to this camera? 

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, wimvb said:

What were the reasons? I think that the 1600 should have proven itself by now.

Or, look over here (images taken with asi 1600 and asi174 mono cooled)

http://www.astrobin.com/users/Thirteen/

It would certainly appear to have, yes. 

Mainly reasons of file size and the large number of files for processing were suggested as being a steep learning curve  for a person fresh to this sort of imaging after only using a DSLR for astrophotography. It occurs to me that I might gather a limited number of luminosity files initially and work on those to get a feel for the tasks involved. I'm familiar with DSS and photoshop and have recently been getting into PI. I've got a reasonably new and fastish MacBook  with a TB SD drive, which has a reasonable amount of free space on, and I can shift the data off to an external drive if necessary. 

I got the 1600 back in April, I love it even though I still havnt had a really good run of nights to get to grips with it, if Im honest I havnt seen any change in file sizes or slower computer even on my old computer, as I said though I have been limited with cloud cover and only two hours of darkness so that will factor, but ATM everything just runs the same no diff

Can i be cheeky and ask a very basic question?

So far i've been focusing when taking images using the normal method, expose, focus, expose & re-focus until the spikes are how they should be using bahtinov mask.

I'm wondering if there's a much easier and simpler way of focusing using bahtinov mask, something like a live view method using L filter to begin with and then Ha filter. I'm not sure if Ha filter will work in live view or not.

Any clues if it will work using the Ha filter and live view?

3 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

Can i be cheeky and ask a very basic question?

So far i've been focusing when taking images using the normal method, expose, focus, expose & re-focus until the spikes are how they should be using bahtinov mask.

I'm wondering if there's a much easier and simpler way of focusing using bahtinov mask, something like a live view method using L filter to begin with and then Ha filter. I'm not sure if Ha filter will work in live view or not.

Any clues if it will work using the Ha filter and live view?

I think you'll need longer exposures for the Ha filter. Although you could increase the gain, which should help.

Andy.

7 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Thanks for this thread. Incredibly interesting.  I've read the whole lot, all 34 pages. Phew! What happened in April this year that you 16 hundreders stopped posting to this thread? :)

I'm a DSLR imager who has been hesitating for sometime about which mono cooled camera to move up to. 

Recent advice to me on this subject was that the 1600 wasn't a good option for several reasons, and that perhaps an atik 460ex or similar might be better. But having read all this thread, I'm not convinced of this. Firstly, several other members have made the DSLR to 1600 transition and secondly it strikes me that if I'm going to get to grips with mono imaging it might as well be this camera as any other. 

Any views on this from old hands at mono imagers. And what's the advice from people who have made this jump from DSLR to this camera? 

I've moved from a DSLR and I'm very happy with the camera and the results I've had so far with it. I also think it's good value for money too.

For the exposures you can go longer if you're concerned about the amount of data.

Is cost a factor in your decision? The 1600 is quiet a bit less than the 460ex. I just checked on FLO and you can get the 1600, zwo electronic filter wheel, Baader 1.25" Ha, OIII and LRGB filters for slightly less than the cost of the 460ex.

Andy.

Sorry only got to page 10 so still some catching up to do. Can I just ask if anyone knows or has seen the difference between the zwo filters and baader ones with this camera. I think it works out at a couple of hundred pounds more for the baader ones. Is this worth it?

I sure I read that the zwo were designed specifically for this camera but am sure they will say this to shift more.

cheers

Spill.

9 hours ago, Andyb90 said:

I've moved from a DSLR and I'm very happy with the camera and the results I've had so far with it. I also think it's good value for money too.

For the exposures you can go longer if you're concerned about the amount of data.

Is cost a factor in your decision? The 1600 is quiet a bit less than the 460ex. I just checked on FLO and you can get the 1600, zwo electronic filter wheel, Baader 1.25" Ha, OIII and LRGB filters for slightly less than the cost of the 460ex.

Andy.

Good to hear you've happy with the transition. 

Cost of the 469ex, or the One 6 integrated CD and filter wheel,  aren't a show stopper, but I am aware of the highly competitive price of the ZWO package. 

I have a question whether the ZWO filters change the focus position significantly. I don't have remote focusing on either of my telescopes. So I was hoping to get away with Olly's solution which is to focus for luminosity and not for RGB. 

I wouldnt have thought they would change that much I cant say I have noticed anything, all I done when setting it up was focus using the lum filter and that was it but im just a beginner and all im after is a general photo so  you have to take my comments with a pinch of salt

1 hour ago, brrttpaul said:

I wouldnt have thought they would change that much I cant say I have noticed anything, all I done when setting it up was focus using the lum filter and that was it but im just a beginner and all im after is a general photo so  you have to take my comments with a pinch of salt

According to the blurb around the filters, ZWO have set of filters specific to the ZWO 1600 with the ZWO filter wheels that are supposed to be par-focal, so, in theory there should be no focus changes.

in theory

18 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

in my case; no darkness.

On 13 January 2017 at 14:03, Notty said:

Thank you David.  I don't suppose you know if these adapters work around a Skywatcher dovetail do you?  

Did you sort out the balance problem and if you did how did you do it? :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/08/2017 at 15:43, Ouroboros said:

Did you sort out the balance problem and if you did how did you do it? :)

Hi sorry I've been away for a while, but yes I sorted it out with a longer dovetail I realised I already had, and just shifted the whole assembly till it balanced.

What with the weather and other things I've taken a sabbatical from imaging but beginning to get interested again as a health problem seems to be getting sorted out.  As for comparison with other astro cameras, I've changed over from the Atik 480EX to this one and like the extra sensor size and resolution plus the ability to take much shorter exposures (though more of them),  avoiding the need for guiding and reducing the effects of poor seeing.  My imaging camera sequence was WebCam > DSLR (Canon EOS 1100D) > Atik 314L+ mono > Atik 460EX mono > ZWO ASI1600MM-Cool.

On 23 August 2017 at 09:57, Gina said:

What with the weather and other things I've taken a sabbatical from imaging but beginning to get interested again as a health problem seems to be getting sorted out.  As for comparison with other astro cameras, I've changed over from the Atik 480EX to this one and like the extra sensor size and resolution plus the ability to take much shorter exposures (though more of them),  avoiding the need for guiding and reducing the effects of poor seeing.  My imaging camera sequence was WebCam > DSLR (Canon EOS 1100D) > Atik 314L+ mono > Atik 460EX mono > ZWO ASI1600MM-Cool.

My goodness you're a brave and adventurous woman, Gina. I'm still using my old Canon 450D that I had prior to taking up astro-imaging. My problem is I can never quite convince myself that a particular type of camera, let alone a particular make and model, is a suitable alternative for me. One day, one day. ...... :) 

Can I just check that a power cable / supply for the cooling system isn't supplied with this camera, and needs to be bought separately? I think I read that this would work https://www.firstlightoptics.com/power-accessories/baader-outdoor-telescope-power-supply-12v-5a.html but I wonder if there are any options for a cigarette lighter rather than wall socket..? 

Hi Lee

This is option i think your looking for https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/lynx-astro-mount-power-cable-for-sky-watcher-mounts.html 

Direct feed from either a 12 v supply or car socket or a suitably sized 12 v batt.

I run mine from a 12v source. not with that lead as i roll my own

2 minutes ago, The storm fisherman said:

Hi Lee

This is option i think your looking for https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/lynx-astro-mount-power-cable-for-sky-watcher-mounts.html 

Direct feed from either a 12 v supply or car socket or a suitably sized 12 v batt.

Perfect, thanks very much!

On 07/08/2017 at 16:38, brrttpaul said:

I got the 1600 back in April, I love it even though I still havnt had a really good run of nights to get to grips with it, if Im honest I havnt seen any change in file sizes or slower computer even on my old computer, as I said though I have been limited with cloud cover and only two hours of darkness so that will factor, but ATM everything just runs the same no diff

Files size is 32M, I have no issues capturing using a quad intel atom stick pc.

amazied by what 20s exposure can get you with this camera.

Archived