NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

THIS is a star!!!??

Face_explosion

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bright scintillating Star for sure, well out of focus too. 
Sirius is a good example of this, it is low down in southern the sky. and can be seen
twinkling with the naked eye.
The twinkling, scintillation, is due to the Earths atmosphere disrupting the starlight as it passes through to your eye/scope eyepiece. 
The starlight has to pass through much more of the earths atmosphere  when targets are so low in Declination,
hence the disturbance becomes  even more pronounced.

The video footage exacerbates the look. It pulsates and looks a lot like the 4D hypercube the way it folds in on itself over and over. It was taken with a camera (p900) thru an old Meade telescope. I'll post the link to a YouTube video that displays this movement a little clearer. Does anyone have pics of these phenomena in focus?

An in-focus star appears as a point of light. If a star appears to have any structure at all it is either out of focus, or is being watched through turbulent atmosphere - the Earth's that is, not anything else's. The twinkling of a star's light occurs only in the last few miles of its vastly longer journey. 

I have seen this effect when placing a scope indoors and trying to view through a window with a radiator underneath it - rising heat.  

I don't do that any more, and I think all the suggestions above are correct, uncooled scope and out of focus.

Carole 

Wow! 883x magnification! No wonder the stars are dancing around a lot, plus all the turbulence in the atmosphere been magnified by the same amount too! On the best nights, with perfect conditions you'd be looking at most to push any scope capable of high magnifications of less than half of what was used here for this video! On most nights you'd be lucky to get anywhere near 200x with a good scope and optics! 

Not understanding what all this turbulence is... The motion happening to that thing is consistent and geometric. It seems as though it's pulsating.  I seems more likely atmospheric conditions can hinder our vision by obscuring something so we can't see it at all, but atmospheric conditions don't modulate with that kind of consistency, form and color. I think the motion is caused by the star and perhaps moisture diffracting a bit of it.

3 minutes ago, Face_explosion said:

Not understanding what all this turbulence is... The motion happening to that thing is consistent and geometric. It seems as though it's pulsating.  I seems more likely atmospheric conditions can hinder our vision by obscuring something so we can't see it at all, but atmospheric conditions don't modulate with that kind of consistency, form and color. I think the motion is caused by the star and perhaps moisture diffracting a bit of it.

Turbulence in the air (which is what causes the stars to twinkle and dance about, especially at high magnitudes) is caused by the movement of warm air which causes the light to get diffracted (just like light is diffracted in water too) through this warm air as it goes in front of the star. And, just like water, if the air is turbulent the image of the star moves and shakes, just like your legs seem to quiver about under the water when you are having a bath and the water is disturbed.

At higher magnifications (normally around 150x to 200x) on a normal night the stars (and the planets too) will seem to wobble and move about. This is always caused by the air turbulence as you look at the images through any telescope. The images will be even worse if viewed when it is above something that is radiating heat upwards from it too, like the roofs of house tops. We've all seen in movies and in real life the effects of air turbulence on a hot summers day when looking at a distant road where the heat causes the image of the road to shimmer in the distance. Exactly the same thing going on here in the night sky too as heat is radiated in the rising air into the sky. And the more you zoom in on any turbulence (whether in the day or the night time) the more the image will appear to shake around.

Hope this helps to understand. :) 

Archived