Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Skyliner 250px Flextube dob

It's back to basics(again) for me after receiving my Skywatcher 10"flextube dob from FLO

today (order placed on Sunday great service again). I did have a tussle in my head as to which one to go for the 10" or 12" and in the end as I intend keeping the scope indoors plumped for the 10" as my back ain't what it used to be!

I've read quite a bit about the 12" on this and other forums and the general positive comments on build quality innovation and optical performance along with price ment I had to try one. I love my 6" refractor for it's razor sharp images but you can't beat a good old large aperture newt, well collimated of course, for deep sky and extra planetary detail that those extra inches give.

Pleased to say that in the flesh it's far more attractive than I thought it would be and is extremely well engineered. Not a blemish or in fact spec of dust as far as I can see anywhere on optics tube or base, Skywatcher really have their act together on this one.Couple of things they could do better on though, The crayford focusser should be using compression rings by now along with a standard 1.25 inch adapter not the larger

skywatcher only type having said that it is a million times better than a R&P and does not appear to have any image shift. I don't know why they can't ship with a reflective collimation cap as it is a very easy and accurate way of collimating a newt, they must cost about 50p to make!

Although I've yet to use them the eyepieces look the usual cheapo ones that at best will be classed as ok but nothing more.

There is no reference in the assembly manual about this being a Flextube or indeed how to extend and retract the upper cage assembly. Now I know you are thinking an idiot can work it out but you can go wrong because there are two lots of fittings on each one. A black bolt that is actually holding a pressure spring against a ball bearing that adjusts tension on the Truss rod for moving up and down and the actual chrome locking screw that has a little lever for ease of use. Don't screw in the black bolt hard as it will cause the bearing to mark the truss rod , you just need a bit of tension on there.

Finally here's a few pics, I think it looks great and look forward to seeing how it performs under the stars, I will post a review when I get the chance.

6691_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

6692_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

6693_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

6700_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

I apologise for attracting the clouds :grin: . At least we won't miss any dark skies this time of year.

cheers

Dave

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looks a great scope Dave :lol: congratulations ! - I've been thinking of one of these myself since I had a look at Ade Ashford's 12 inch (the one he reviewed so favorably). I see you have opted to use the dust cap on the lower section - Ade felt that Skywatcher should really supply 2 dustcaps - 1 for each section of the tube.

Having seen the 12 in the flesh and, like you, needing to keep the scope indoors, I reckon it will be the 10 inch for me too - when I can get the readies together that is :grin:

Thanks for sharing the photos with us :D

John

Several people have commented on the need for two dust caps, which surprises me. The whole point of this design is to make it easy to slide the upper section up and down. Surely it would normally be stored with the upper section down and hence only one dust cap would be required. Having an extra dust cap would have some uses, but if I had one of these scopes the extra dust cap would just take up space.

Do other dobs have two dust caps?

Mike

So, that limits the size of dust that can get in to 1 - 1.5 inches :grin:

OK, shoots my theory down in flames, I thought it sat flush.

Mike

Yep, I was quite suprised when I saw that gap on the 12 inch Mike. Still very nice scopes though :lol:

John

I know what you mean about the gap but surely it is better than the alternative which is to own a truss-Dob that requires dismantling and putting a way in its box. James and I are currently using the Skywatcher 300P Flextube which is stored retracted in the garage with a bin bag over it - easy :grin:

I do wish they would supply two caps though....

Could you not stick some black foam underneath the top ring, thick enough to close the gap when collapsed? Just say "Off" if necessary, I will fill in the missing word.

I owned a 12" f6 for years, and I loved that scope, and being in the comfort zone of a dome on an equatorial mount, I could not bear to tear myself away from it when skies allowed.

You will be over the moon with this baby. It looks good, it will work good, and by heck it will do you good.

Looks well in the bedroom, it seem to match the room decor. Hope the kiddy doesn't play hide and seek and climb in it . :grin:

Ron. :lol:

I think Ade Ashford got round the 'gap problem' by removing the rubber spacers so that it sat flush (he mentioned something like that in his astrobuysell advert when he flogged his one on). This stopped the dust from getting in, but in return you had to be a little bit more careful when collapsing the tube so that it didn't crash without the pads.

Looked a reasonable solution (and made it even more portable!)

Just added an image to original post showing dob in retracted position also my 6"

refractor OTA for comparison, Oh and yours truly in the middle, the years have taken their toll!

On the subject of gap between upper and lower cage when dob retracted I just use a plastic bag over the lot.

Did find one issue with the scope though. After collimating with laser and collimation cap I retracted and extended the truss tubes a few times and each time collimation was a fair way out, now this is not what other posts have said.

Upon investigation i found the three large bolts atop the upper cage connecting the truss rods themselves were actually loose! Once tightened the scope retains it's collimation very well, they must have been in a rush at the factory!

cheers

Dave

Just added an image to original post showing dob in retracted position also my 6"

refractor OTA for comparison, Oh and yours truly in the middle, the years have taken their toll!

On the subject of gap between upper and lower cage when dob retracted I just use a plastic bag over the lot.

Did find one issue with the scope though. After collimating with laser and collimation cap I retracted and extended the truss tubes a few times and each time collimation was a fair way out, now this is not what other posts have said.

Upon investigation i found the three large bolts atop the upper cage connecting the truss rods themselves were actually loose! Once tightened the scope retains it's collimation very well, they must have been in a rush at the factory!

cheers

Dave

Yeah!, those pre. delivery inspections are not what they used to be, :grin:

The two handles, one each side of the tube, screw through the side boards and into the tube's alt bearings. They attach the tube to the base, can be used to lift the assembled scope and the one on the eyepiece side has a bearing race around it's shaft which allows the user to easily and quickly adjust the tension of the alt movement - if you fit a big/heavy eyepiece simply twist the handle for more resistance. Skywatcher are very proud of them and have a patent on the design.

It looks like a great 'scope Dave. I am impressed at how small it is when in the retracted position. Please post your comments once you get out under the stars. If it performs as good as it looks it will be a cracker.

Unfortunately I feel my wallet starting to tremble and may be forced to contact Steve sometime over the Summer - I think I am lusting after the 300mm Flextube Dob :oops:

Tom

Archived