Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Skyliner 250px Flextube dob

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

O.K. people have carried out a couple of mods to the dob as follows:-

I've flocked the upper assembly opposite focusser and just as importantly the diagonal edge probably the biggest culprit of stray light to the eyepice. I 've removed the rubber stops from the truss poles as Ade Ashford suggested in his 12" review and it does give a decent seal against dust and allows you to use just one dust cap(all you get anyway) to seal the tube.

A couple of pics below.

6756_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

6757_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Worthwhile mods I think.

cheers

Dave

WARNING!!! DON'T OVER TIGHTEN THE TENSION HANDLES!! (that's if they are tension handles like the ones on the Celestron Starhopper, they look the same)

Sorry to shout, but its worthwhile advice, be careful

Dave,

Yes, your scope looks very nice. Skywatcher certainly have achieved a technical masterpiece with this one!

I like the way it folds down - and still retains its collimation each time it's assembled.

Looking forward (as everyone esle is!) to your "first light" report.

Regards,

philsail1

WARNING!!! DON'T OVER TIGHTEN THE TENSION HANDLES!! (that's if they are tension handles like the ones on the Celestron Starhopper, they look the same)

I haven't ever seen any over-tightened... What happens?

the brass like fixing the handles screw into pop out of their plastic holders, and you can't fix it for toffee!

Ah, haven't had that happen to one of ours yet.

I guess we'd supply a replacemant part if it did.

philsail1

Dave,

Yes, your scope looks very nice. Skywatcher certainly have achieved a technical masterpiece with this one!

I like the way it folds down - and still retains its collimation each time it's assembled.

Regards,

philsail1

Phil, Just thought I would let you know that it does not hold perfect collimation when collapsed and opened back up. It's in the ball park but It's true to say that if you like your fast newts with spot on collimation you do need to recollimate every single time you set up, once done it is fixed for the night.

It's well engineered but it ain't aircraft tolerences . I've already had first and second light with the scope and the optics are extremely well figured for a machine polished optical set. It's the wrong time of year with no real night to try and give any meaningful review . The mechanical movement in altitude and azimuth are very good and I managed to track tight double stars with 2xbarlow and 6mm orthoscopic eyepiece by hand, no mean feat!

Cheers

Dave

• 6 months later...

I 've removed the rubber stops from the truss poles as Ade Ashford suggested in his 12" review and it does give a decent seal against dust and allows you to use just one dust cap(all you get anyway) to seal the tube.

How did you remove these spacers? I have a Flextube and am thinking of making the same mod.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Just did it myself. I removed the upper tube assembly. Here's a pic of the fittings

11845_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

You undo the three big bolts and remove the pins - had to squeeze mine out with pliers. The upper tube just "lifts" off, except I had to gently encourage mine with a wooden mallet. The rubber bushes just slide up and off the tubes then. Reassembly is the reverse.

Mike

Don't know if I'm brave enough to start hitting it with a mallet yet! Mine is a "diamond black" model and I wonder if it might be a bit different - the big bolt tops look rubber (covers over the bolts?) and the "pins" look like they're hex-head screws. Hmmm. Your pic and explanation are a great help, though - many thanks for that.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

My FlexTube is the original import that Steve displayed at Kelling, so it does not surprise me that there could have been some minor mods.

The pins came out easily enough - I had to squeeze two of them with pliers to get them started and then pull them out with the pliers but the other was easy to remove with just finger pressure.

I did use a mallet but only light taps on the upper section near to each tube to get them loosened. Once loose, just gentle, even persuasion was all that was needed.

Reassembly was easy but you do need to make sure the holes line up to get the pins in - the tubes do seem to slightly twist. All that is needed is a gentle twisting back and forth as you tease the pins back in.

It could be a lot easier with bolts ...... or then again ..... :) :) :)

Good luck

Mike

PS I've not recollimated since doing it but did take the scope out briefly to grab a gap in the clouds. A quick star test showed collimation was still pretty good. :thumbright:

I am trying to decide between the 10 and the 12 or 250/300 lol. I am looking to start the Herschell 400 and beyond and I am worried the 12" will be too heavy and wont fit in the trunk of my 08 Avenger (Boxed of Unboxed) since I am driving it home from Ottawa, Canada to Nova Scotia.

How big are the boxes they come in? does anyone have pictures (perspective) so I can judge the sizes?

Also

Can I use a low profile 2"-1.25" Adapter? low profile has the set screw set into the barrel low down and the top portion sits flush.

Thanks,

Jeff

I only just got my 12" and haven't had a chance to drive it to a dark site yet, but I can tell you that the base is very big and only just goes through the rear door of my Vectra. Unboxed scope is no problem to load but do think about the base.

Either 10" or 12" will have no problems with Herschel 400 - I've been doing fine on them with my 8". But the 12" seems easily transportable just as long as you can accommodate it, and would obviously show you a lot more.

That is a one fine looking vehicle you have there. I think it should fit in either of my cars. The Avenger looks like a Charger, beast of a car.

My Odyssey 8" with base is pretty heavy would the 12" Flextube be heavier considering lightweight material as apposed to the nice waterlogged sono tube design of the 80's? lol

Jeff

The flextube 12" tube is actually heavier than the solid tube 12", I understand, but it's an easy lift because of its short collapsed length. The base end of the tube extends a good distance beyond the primary, allowing a firm grip, and the top end can then be easily held in the other hand. Solid tube owners often add carrying handles but there's certainly no need with the flextube. The base has a carry handle and is about the same weight as the OTA but is more cumbersome to carry because of its shape. On the other hand you won't mind so much when you bang it into things.

I'm able to move the whole assembly over short distances and this will be useful if I decide I need to move my observing position slightly. But I wouldn't want to do it too often. By contrast, I could carry my complete 8-inch scope, base and all, in one hand if I wanted to.

Having only had a quick peep in the back garden so far, I'd say the main issue I'll be looking at when I start using it properly is stability: I noticed a lot of vibration when focussing. I don't know how the solid tube compares but I'm guessing that the flextube system leads to an inevitable loss of solidity. How much it is affected by breeze remains to be seen. I haven't heard complaints about this from other users but personally I found it a very noticeable difference from my solid tube 8-inch.

I have a hatchback and I can fit my 12" into the boot no problem. The base gets pushed up against the rear seats then I put 2 of the foam inserts that came with the packaging in the rear of the boot and the OTA sits happily on them.

I believe the flextube is slightly lighter than the solid tube version.

I have to say though that I haven't experienced any vibration when focussing. the scope did tend to drift back slightly in az when it was windy but a tweak to the central az bolt cured that.

Fine instrument... Glad I read all the post to discover its in your daughter room.

The innuendo was about to let rip.... :mrgreen:

With only 3 bars is it really rigid... I mean no twist (this is not innuendo) :(

Guy

Yes I love it here in nova scotia. I have never been to the UK but would love to one day.

I had a chance to use a 17.5" DOB and someone had a Meade SN-8 and really the difference is not WOW! I am wondering if the 250mm is all I need? it's so hard to make this decision.

• 5 years later...

Hello and welcome to the forum !

How did you get this in white I've only seen them in black

This thread dates from 2008 when the flextube scopes had first come out. The colour scheme has changed since then.

Archived