Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Collimating a William Optics Star 71

This is a simple question asked with the full knowledge that it could generate the most complex answer...

Can anyone on here, or does anyone know of someone in the UK collimate the 5-element WO Star 71?

The stars on mine aren't round and using a tilt-adjuster just does not fix the issue, so It must be out of alignment somewhere. It's worst at the top-right of the image. 

1st markarians.png

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 minute ago, gnomus said:

Have you tried approaching Williams Optics in the first instance to see if they would do it for you?

It's out of warranty (not transferable at any rate) -

William Yang has seen one of my subs and would adjust it if necessary, but it's the shipping and customs hassle to and from the states/far East/wherever that I'm not keen on.

I've already spent more on this second hand telescope than if I'd bought a new one. Have you ever heard of the "sunk cost fallacy"? I have ;)

I am considering selling it, but it would be on completely honest terms, so what's it worth to anyone? £100? £20? A pint and a packet of peanuts? :icon_scratch:

32 minutes ago, Pompey Monkey said:

It's out of warranty (not transferable at any rate) -

William Yang has seen one of my subs and would adjust it if necessary, but it's the shipping and customs hassle to and from the states/far East/wherever that I'm not keen on.

I've already spent more on this second hand telescope than if I'd bought a new one. Have you ever heard of the "sunk cost fallacy"? I have ;)

I am considering selling it, but it would be on completely honest terms, so what's it worth to anyone? £100? £20? A pint and a packet of peanuts? :icon_scratch:

SOLD! Where do I send the pint and peanuts to?

:)

8 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

I'll see your pint and peanuts and raise you a packet of crisps :)

Dave

Dave, unfortunately the deal has already been done, so you will just have to make do with the one you have already got :)

1 minute ago, StuartJPP said:

Dave, unfortunately the deal has already been done, so you will just have to make do with the one you have already got :)

I was thinking of getting three on a triple imaging rig :grin:

Dave

11 minutes ago, Pompey Monkey said:

I'll be happy with a single imaging rig at the moment! :happy7:

Come on Paul, it isn't that bad and if you hadn't mentioned it I probably wouldn't have noticed. But I do get where you are coming from.

My imaging lens also suffers from this but to a worse extent but I just live with it since it cost me nothing as I already had it. So for "free" it serves me well. Perhaps one day I will get a "proper" scope but for the amount of use I'd get out of it I don't think it would be worth it...unless it was for a pint and a packet of crisps that is :)

Will be interesting to hear how you get on with it.

26 minutes ago, StuartJPP said:

Come on Paul, it isn't that bad and if you hadn't mentioned it I probably wouldn't have noticed. But I do get where you are coming from.

My imaging lens also suffers from this but to a worse extent but I just live with it since it cost me nothing as I already had it. So for "free" it serves me well. Perhaps one day I will get a "proper" scope but for the amount of use I'd get out of it I don't think it would be worth it...unless it was for a pint and a packet of crisps that is :)

Will be interesting to hear how you get on with it.

I bought this scope because I'd seen very, nay very, good stars on images that others had produced and the scope is supposed to be very good to sensors twice the size of mine. My early efforts were done with a 150 pds from astroboot for one seventh of the cost, and they are technically much better.

I'm not tight by any means, but I work hard for my money and I work hard for this hobby: Choices had to be made to splash out on this instrument and I am just disappointed and, to be honest, annoyed with myself for not making the proper checks before buying. As I said, I don't for a minute think that the seller knew about the issue - the onus is entirely mine.

You are also right: It isn't that bad and, to put it in a real perspective, it's a very "First World Problem". I'm normally very quick to denigrate others for getting upset about such things. I will take a dose of my own medicine to bed with me tonight! ;)

You might also take a walk through the Yahoo Astro-groups listings to see which group in there would be the most likely to help you with your questions regarding your scope. Seems there's a Yahoo group for nearly everything - including telescopes and their optics. I belong to about 10 of them myself. Here's a list, and there may be more:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/dir/1600082805

Hope it helps -

Dave

14 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

You might also take a walk through the Yahoo Astro-groups listings to see which group in there would be the most likely to help you with your questions regarding your scope. Seems there's a Yahoo group for nearly everything - including telescopes and their optics. I belong to about 10 of them myself. Here's a list, and there may be more:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/dir/1600082805

Hope it helps -

Dave

Thanks Dave, but I've already trawled through the Yahoo groups with no luck. I'm currently pursuing other options. In between doing my chores, that is ;)

I think this might be quite a big "ask". I've collimated triplets in the past and they can be quite fiddly to get right for visual use, to get them right for critical photographic use would be a higher order of difficulty and would probably need test shots between collimation tweaks to verify progress and all imagers will know how long that could take.

Just now, Peter Drew said:

I think this might be quite a big "ask". I've collimated triplets in the past and they can be quite fiddly to get right for visual use, to get them right for critical photographic use would be a higher order of difficulty and would probably need test shots between collimation tweaks to verify progress and all imagers will know how long that could take.

Don't forget that, as the flattener is built in to the OTA, this telescope is to all intents and purposes a quintuplet! :shocked::shocked:

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I took the scope to Steve Collingwoods last week and he very kindly took at look at the optics with an autocollimator. Long story cut sort was that there was not much to see wrong with the optics, but there was some shifting in the diffraction rings going on as the focuser was adjusted so Steve suggested that I took a look at that. (I don't know how to insert images in line with text in the new editor, so I'll be doing a few posts in a row...)

IMG_20160404_193702.jpg

Archived