Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 150p eq3-2 unboxing pictures

Well it's up and together and ready to go. Just need some clear skies. Hope these pictures help people especially when thinking of the size of a scope. 

The boxes took up the boot and back seat of a Fiesta.  Everything was very well packaged and first impressions are that it is well made and looks great. I put it all together fairly easily and am getting used to how it all moves around - very smoothly by the way. 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just aligned the spotter scope on a TVs areal, very easy and generally playing with it moving it around to get in different positions, changing ep's etc. Lovely day but forecast not good for the weekend - sorry everyone for the jinx of a new scope. 

image.jpeg

TV arials are fine - but if you can align the finder on something more distant over a mile or two away it'll be more accurate (eg tip of a church spire or pylon). Also - for extra stability hang a weight (5kgs-10kgs) under the leg spreader tray - otherwise it will take 4 or 5 secs to dampen vibrations - especially just after releasing the slow mo controls which will vibrate. :)

...splendid kit.

I have a 6" f/5, but it's a base model with a plastic 1.25" focusser.  I have a Celestron CG-4, which is the same mount.  I just wish it had come with the aluminum legs like yours.  If only I had it do all over again.

You'll want to get a motor-drive for the RA axis for that beauty.

30 minutes ago, brantuk said:

TV arials are fine - but if you can align the finder on something more distant over a mile or two away it'll be more accurate (eg tip of a church spire or pylon). Also - for extra stability hang a weight (5kgs-10kgs) under the leg spreader tray - otherwise it will take 4 or 5 secs to dampen vibrations - especially just after releasing the slow mo controls which will vibrate. :)

Thanks for that advice. The only question I have is if I take the finder scope off for storage will it need aligning every time. 

31 minutes ago, Alan64 said:

...splendid kit.

I have a 6" f/5, but it's a base model with a plastic 1.25" focusser.  I have a Celestron CG-4, which is the same mount.  I just wish it had come with the aluminum legs like yours.  If only I had it do all over again.

You'll want to get a motor-drive for the RA axis for that beauty.

All in good time, all in good time!  Wife is still a bit frosty ??

Show her Saturn in all her glory and she'll come round! ;-)

As well as weights on the spreader tray, you can also fill the EQ3-2 legs with sand to add to the weight/stability of the tripod. I did that with mine and it certainly helped. Just make sure you put the feet back on properly if you are keeping a sand-filled tripod in the house....

Great pics, takes me back a bit to my un-boxing.

Removing the finder shouldn't affect alignment.

One thing you might consider, after balancing the scope mark the counterweight bar and dovetail with low tack tape. This will make setting up next time easier.

Good luck and enjoy.

I have the Orion version of your scope, the Astroview 6.  Therefore I know you will love it.  If you like planets get a single axis drive for it for tracking.  Also, it is a bit shaky when focusing.  A motorized focuser drive attached to the focuser will stop the shakes.

6 hours ago, Astro Imp said:

One thing you might consider, after balancing the scope mark the counterweight bar and dovetail with low tack tape. This will make setting up next time easier.

To add to what Astro Imp said, after balancing the 'scope, as well as putting a thin strip of duct tape on the counterweight bar and marking the dovetail with paint, I also put a narrow strip of duct tape on the outside of where the tube rings go. That way, everything is already nicely balanced when I set it all up. You may also want to look at buying the SkyWatcher Polar Illuminator for EQ3, it will make polar aligning a whole lot easier :)

Ahhhh takes me right back...ten weeks!! My first scope and loving it when I get a chance to use. Good tip about adding a weight as the vibrations at high magnitude and high winds take some settling. Sure there's a 10kg kettle bell around here somewhere...

46 minutes ago, BritAngler said:

To add to what Astro Imp said, after balancing the 'scope, as well as putting a thin strip of duct tape on the counterweight bar and marking the dovetail with paint, I also put a narrow strip of duct tape on the outside of where the tube rings go. That way, everything is already nicely balanced when I set it all up. You may also want to look at buying the SkyWatcher Polar Illuminator for EQ3, it will make polar aligning a whole lot easier :)

Absolutely, slipped my mind to mention this.

3 hours ago, skfboiler said:

I have the Orion version of your scope, the Astroview 6.  Therefore I know you will love it.  If you like planets get a single axis drive for it for tracking.  Also, it is a bit shaky when focusing.  A motorized focuser drive attached to the focuser will stop the shakes.

Each leg is fastened to the mount's base with a bolt.  Add a stainless-steel lock-washer to each, in between the flat-washer and the nut.  If there is no flat-washer, add one in addition.  If the bolt is then too short to accommodate them, replace those, too, and all with minimal outlay.  The idea is to make the legs and the base as one, rarely if ever to have to tighten in future, yet still with the ability to fold the legs when needed.  But there's one more thing to add, actually six, and two per leg...

tripod3.jpg

I made six washers of thin(.008") bronze sheet for mine.  Brass can also be used.  The brass washers that are readily available are usually too thick, and in the diameter required.  Then, to place them accordingly...

tripod4.jpg

The design of the union between the legs and the base is reversed in the case of the aluminum tripods, but the modification still applies, and should noticeably improve the stability.

Glad you got the photos up at last. Looks a great starter scope. Wish I'd gone for this one over the Celestron Astromaster 130 EQM I got which is not the best scope in the world alas. Now, we just need some nice clear, still nights up in East Yorkshire to enjoy the views! :) 

Congrats on the scope :)

Top tip - turn the tube in the rings until the focuser is roughly pointing towards the counter weight bar. In default position it might look a bit weird, but you'll find it more comfortable to reach the eyepiece like this in practice when you've polar alligned and swung the scope around to view objects. 

4 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

Congrats on the scope :)

Top tip - turn the tube in the rings until the focuser is roughly pointing towards the counter weight bar. In default position it might look a bit weird, but you'll find it more comfortable to reach the eyepiece like this in practice when you've polar alligned and swung the scope around to view objects. 

I promise to try this next time the rain stops and clouds clear. 

Archived