Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

what to do now?

hello everyone. ive finally given up on jupiter with my dob 150p skywatcher. its going to be used purely for looking at the moon as trying to keep a steady enough view of jupiter for more than 5 seconds seems impossible. 

i need to ask though, has anyone ever taken a decent pic/vid of jupiter using a dob? or am i right in thinking its not a telescope for planets?. 

im thinking of buying a celestron nexstar 5se but it is £700 and im not sure its worth it just to get one clear video of jupiter (which is what ive always wanted to do) and saturn of course.

ive tried and tried with my webcam and with my canon camera to get just 1 decent video of the planet but its fail fail fail everytime with my dob. 

ive been advised by a local  dealer to buy a 5se because  you cannot get very clear images of the planets with a dob he says (150mm that is). so he said i need a motorised scope like  the 5se.  please tell me i have not got to spend £700 just to get a clear crisp image /vid of my fav planet.

stevie.

To be able to get an AVI of Jupiter/Saturn you must have a driven mount to be able to keep it in the FOV IMO. Ideally you want the longest focal length that you can afford and Barlow/Powermate. SCTs are good for planets. Canons are not ideal either - you really want a fast frame rate planetary camera such as the ZWO ASI120MC.

Peter

I doubt a 5SE would give better views that the dob, although it does of course track.

As Michael says, an EQ mount might well work, or have you considered an EQ Platform which allows you to track targets with a dob. I've literally just received one to use with my scope so I'm hoping for some more stable views without constant nudging.

By the way, this was taken hand held with smartphone and a non tracking mount. Is it good? No! But it is quite possible to get results using a webcam and allowing the planet to drift across the field of view as you take the video. Not easy but doable.

image.jpeg

The Celestron 5SE is a really nice scope, very nice optics. The mount is OK, but not very steady. It is more suited to visual use. I had one and miss it as it was sold to help other astro pursuits. If it was put onto a NEQ6 mount you would be laughing.

Look second hand, for your uses look for tube only and sort out a more substantial mount. Having said that there will be plenty of people here I am sure who use these scopes and celestron mounts to good effect.

Derek

Stevie, If you want to expand into imaging and you are serious about taking decent images, then the first basic is a solid driven mount, but perhaps before you dip your hand into your pocket again, to shell out a mound of cash, some information on the subject would perhaps be beneficial, and I would certainly recommend, as I am sure many others will, is for you to obtain a copy of Steve Richards book "Making Every Photon Count" see FLO top of the page for purchase details.

It may put the brakes on your own initial ideas, but it will certainly put you on the correct path to take, enjoy your Astronomy and the forum :) 

2 minutes ago, glowjet said:

Stevie, If you want to expand into imaging and you are serious about taking decent images, then the first basic is a solid driven mount, but perhaps before you dip your hand into your pocket again, to shell out a mound of cash, some information on the subject would perhaps be beneficial, and I would certainly recommend, as I am sure many others will, is for you to obtain a copy of Steve Richards book "Making Every Photon Count" see FLO top of the page for purchase details.

It may put the brakes on your own initial ideas, but it will certainly put you on the correct path to take, enjoy your Astronomy and the forum :) 

I guess the question there is whether the ambition is deep sky imaging or purely planetary? Steve's book is Deep Sky orientated if I remember correctly? Mount is far more important for DSO tracking, long exposure. 

Hi, this may seem a bit off topic, but you have a great scope, why not have a look at what else is up there!

I realise you have a "Jupiter" thing going on LOL, but there is so much more to see, star's just looked normal until I spent more than a few nights just looking at Pleiades (Seven Sisters or M45) there is so much detail and more to see, I think I had a "Pleiades" thing going on for a while.

What I am trying to say is there is soooooooooo much more to see :) just enjoy looking upwards!

Andrew

A webcam would give your short videos as Jupiter drifts through the fov, from these short videos you could make an image- registax takes the best frames to make the image. Some nights Jupiter just doesn't look good some nights from reading posts there is just to much atmospheric disturbance. It might be tricky but not impossible. 

This member has the same telescope on a homemade dob mount and a webcam.

Edit I got the wrong image, sorry, I'll see if can find the right image.

How are you nudging your telescope, when I nudge my smaller 130p I do it in such a way that it is still in moments there are no wobbles and if any they still very quickly and only occur when altering altitude.

Hi Stevie:

I would not say that Dobs are no use for planetary viewing, but they are undoubtedly best as visual scopes for deep sky, followed by visual for planetary. Your best bet photographically would be to follow Stu's approach with afocal photography.

I would not spend more money until you have exhausted the possibilities of the scope you have and learned everything you can from it. It takes time to get even passably good at astrophotography. That smartphone job Stu posted is superior to anything I have managed on Jupiter over about 5 combined hours of imaging using various combinations of:

• An EQ5 equatorial mount (with motor drive)
  • A Nikon SLR
  • A modded webcam
  • A 102mm Mak
  • An 80mm short tube
  • A 200mm reflector
  • Various stacking and image manipulation programs

That said, if you do want to upgrade, I would investigate the options for putting that tube on an equatorial mount (though this might be tricky given the dob tube design). An EQ 5 would be great for planetary viewing and good for planetary photography and short exposures on bright DSOs. With the budget you are talking about for the Nexstar you could even go for an HEQ5 (non-PRO version). That plus the tube you have would be much more flexible than a 5 inch SCT on an altaz mount.

Hope this helps.

Billy.

That dob certainly has sufficient focal length for planetary observation.  With a wide-field EP at least you'd not need to be nudging the scope quite so often although obviously at high magnification you're going to be doing it constantly without tracking.  However, if you're sat comfortably at the eyepiece then nudging it should be a real problem.

I'd forget about attempting to image with it and concentrate on observation for now.  That dob will be very capable for DSOs and planetary observation.

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

This member has the same telescope on a homemade dob mount and a webcam.

Edit I got the wrong image, sorry, I'll see if can find the right image.

How are you nudging your telescope, when I nudge my smaller 130p I do it in such a way that it is still in moments there are no wobbles and if any they still very quickly and only occur when altering altitude.

well as you know im new to this lol, i tighten up both sides so it is harder for me to nudge to quickly if you know what i mean. when i leave it loose it just goes everywhere. also im not seeing jupiter in the centre of the cross hairs on my finder scope its off centre. and thats because i have no means of aligning to anything terresterial because i have high fences so unless its in the sky i cant see it lol. its not that off though. i had jupiter in my FOV last night but it was very bumpy going across my laptop screen as i had to keep nudging the scope slightly to keep it in view,and then BAM i nudge to much and its gone lol .

41 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Out of curiosity, what magnification or EP are you using to view Jupiter with? Is your mount shaky also at lower magnification, or just bad at what you are trying to view Jupiter with? 

im using the x2 barlow and a MOD webcam and my laptop. i have different eyepieces, 10mm .25mm. 4mm plossl.32mm plossl. ive not been using those much as ive been wanting to get a vid of the planets. so just been using the x2 barlow and the MOD webcam. 

4 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

A tracking mount does make life a lot easier. Mounting the 150P OTA on a suitable EQ mount might be a solution

can you if possible send me a link to a decent mount i can  purchase?  

4 hours ago, Stu said:

I doubt a 5SE would give better views that the dob, although it does of course track.

As Michael says, an EQ mount might well work, or have you considered an EQ Platform which allows you to track targets with a dob. I've literally just received one to use with my scope so I'm hoping for some more stable views without constant nudging.

By the way, this was taken hand held with smartphone and a non tracking mount. Is it good? No! But it is quite possible to get results using a webcam and allowing the planet to drift across the field of view as you take the video. Not easy but doable.

image.jpeg

hey thats better than what ive been getting . i have a 10 sec vid clip of jupiter but when i put in into registax it doesnt seem to make it any better what so ever. i do need to mess around with the webcam settings. to get a clearer pic

4 hours ago, Stu said:

image.jpeg

hey thats better than what ive been getting . i have a 10 sec vid clip of jupiter but when i put in into registax it doesnt seem to make it any better what so ever. i do need to mess around with the webcam settings. to get a clearer pic

3 hours ago, Stu said:

I guess the question there is whether the ambition is deep sky imaging or purely planetary? Steve's book is Deep Sky orientated if I remember correctly? Mount is far more important for DSO tracking, long exposure. 

yes planetary is the way forward for me, at least at this present time. i wont ever stop looking up now.. im hooked. nothing is ever easy and this is what i like.. a good old challenge 

I have to balance my dob on it's mount and the altitude clamp is just tight enough to hold the telescope in position. If the balance is wrong then I have to have the clamp done up much tighter and that makes nudging jerky and easy to over shoot the target.

I can use my 6mm eyepeice and I left Jupiter drift from one side to the other and then only adjust the base and let it drift again, every fourth or so drift I adjust the altitude.

Use the Moon to line up your finder, it is an ideal alternative.

4 hours ago, glowjet said:

11 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

I have to balance my dob on it's mount and the altitude clamp is just tight enough to hold the telescope in position. If the balance is wrong then I have to have the clamp done up much tighter and that makes nudging jerky and easy to over shoot the target.

I can use my 6mm eyepeice and I left Jupiter drift from one side to the other and then only adjust the base and let it drift again, every fourth or so drift I adjust the altitude.

Use the Moon to line up your finder, it is an ideal alternative.

yes looking at the planets directly through my eyepiece is a doddle, i can do that with ease, but when i have my MOD webcam and laptop i find it hard to find jupiter through the finder scope and look at the laptop at the same time to see if its on the screen.i really need to put the full goto on this scope if that is possible?. yes as soon as the moon shows itself again then i will be doing the allignment. :)

Archived