Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ES 30mm N2 purged 82 Deg ep just landed

Got back from a business trip yesterday and the new (2nd hand) ES 30mm N2 purged 82 deg FOV was on my desk.

I was not prepared for how big and beefy this ep is. Pics below scaled against a tin of beans. Came very well packaged. But it would have to be given the size and weight.

Been building up a better quality ep collection over the last 6 months and I hope (but doubt) this will be a final purchase. I could not afford the TV equivalent.

IMG_1432.JPG

IMG_1433.JPG

These 30mm UWA's are beasts - I have the 31mm Nagler.

I recall a review by one of our members (Damo ?) indicated that the ES30 provides very, very similar performance to the Nagler so I doubt you are missing anything other than the extra expenditure.

I hope you enjoy the views :icon_biggrin:

Wow, what an EP!  Think of the low mag/WA view with that!  

Sadly (or fortunately) I only have a 1.25 diagonal, so those beasts are out for me.  I did get a dual-fit Celestron Ultima LX, and found that enormous and sent it back!

Enjoy!

Healthy beans, BTW.

Doug.

2 minutes ago, laudropb said:

Wow. Didn't realise they were that big. I will have to rethink about getting one.

As I found (previous post), it pays to do a little research before you commit then get a shock!  That Celestron Ultima LX 17/70 dual-fit was huge, and weighed in at a staggering 580g!

Doug.

6 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

As I found (previous post), it pays to do a little research before you commit then get a shock!  That Celestron Ultima LX 17/70 dual-fit was huge, and weighed in at a staggering 580g!

Doug.

The ES30 and the Nagler31 weigh nearly twice as much !

6 hours ago, laudropb said:

(Think there must be a slight glitch - it has me quoting from the wrong source, then won't allow a fresh post!  Hello anyway, @laudropb!)

Anyway @John, those two you mention are pretty darned huge, but the one referred to by @Highburymark must be in a league of its own.  Do they come any bigger for the amateur astronomer, I wonder?  2.5kg!!  Not so much an eyepiece, more of a cannon shell!

Doug.

5 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

@John but the one referred to by @Highburymark must be in a league of its own.  Do they come any bigger for the amateur astronomer, I wonder?  2.5kg!!  Not so much an eyepiece, more of a cannon shell!

Doug.

A 3" eyepiece is a huge affair and there will be a limited number of folks who have a scope which will do it justice. In a refractor, mak-cassegrain or SCT you would need a 3" diagonal of course and then there are 3" filters to consider .......

There are even larger eyepieces aimed at observatory class scopes. These go up to 4.3" in diameter:

http://www.siebertoptics.bizland.com/SiebertOptics-eyepieces-observatory.html#4%20%20Eyepieces

Nice bit of kit BW.   Have a couple of these EP's myself.  11 and 8.8 mm  Think they are well built and very good value. Not prepared to pay for the TV stuff.  Would go there but have drawn a line re the finances.  LOL

Sure it will perform as good as it looks.

John

On 2016-03-11 at 11:45, Highburymark said:

Looks very nice indeed. It is relatively modest compared with the ES 100 degree 30mm, which can be picked up from FLO for £983, and weighs almost 2.5kg.

Here's a couple of pictures about this giant:

1. with some other around 30mm EPs.

30mm_EPs.jpg.77c52e791be09d74bf8948a5e3d

2. with the two noone will call them small:

21E_30ES_31N.jpg.5c82bdb5965f530efb96c72

I am not even sure that my 12 inch Meade SC, though fitted with a 3.25 inch thread on the back which my Moonlite screws into can use such a monster. I don't know if fitted that it would not vignette on inturnal tubes as the TV diagonal and 41mm Panoptic does slightly and the outlay seems rather a lot to find out. I will just have to slum it with the 31mm Nagler and other large TV's.

I like the first picture best. 32mm plossl is among the biggest ones for 1.25" EPs of simpler disigns (plossl, ortho, kellner, erfle etc). I was kind of shocked to see 32mm plossl as upgrade for 130p for the first time, it was a giant compare to the stock 10mm and 25mm.:smiley:

Hi Baggy, that is an excellent purchase, you will be amazed by how much sky you can see, and in my scopes sharp right to the edge, amazing.  Got mine new from AgenaAstro in the US, arrived in one and half weeks!

Archived