Plough handle... and friends..

Not sure if this should go in the Deep Sky or this section. No doubt a moderator will move it if its misplaced!

This is the Plough handle, Alioth, Mizar and Alkaid (top down), and I can see M 51 and M 101, no doubt there is much more than those two here.

Taken with my modded 100D and 70-300 lens at 70mm. iso 1600 and F 6.3. 25 X 3 min exposures on a eq5 pro tracking mount. Stacked in DSS, processed in PS and gradient removed with DBE.

I'm really a novice with the Lens and my Flats are coming out quite strange, not at all the consistent pattern I get with flats on my scope... Comments welcome!

56deb963dd69a_Mizarfinal.thumb.jpg.6fd0e

5 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Looks like the right place to me Tim, I like nice wide field images , gives you an idea where stuff is as it never looks like the star maps :)

Dave

5 hours ago, xtreemchaos said:

cracking WF shot Tim, please post more if you have any,as Dave says thay are better than star maps ,easyer to relate to.thanks for sharing   charl..

I feel a book coming on... 'Stargazing with StarGeezer' !  Lol.

Seriously though, I've posted the only other widefields I have done (Cassiopeia and Orion) and am very new to using a lens instead of a scope. :icon_biggrin:

Very good wide field, with many galaxies. It's funny to discover that the double system Mizar appears to be the same size as M101.

In many wide fields the shear number of stars becomes too dominant, but you managed to keep them under control very nicely.

Thanks for sharing

18 hours ago, StargeezerTim said:

Not sure if this should go in the Deep Sky or this section. No doubt a moderator will move it if its misplaced!

This is the Plough handle, Alioth, Mizar and Alkaid (top down), and I can see M 51 and M 101, no doubt there is much more than those two here.

Taken with my modded 100D and 70-300 lens at 70mm. iso 1600 and F 6.3. 25 X 3 min exposures on a eq5 pro tracking mount. Stacked in DSS, processed in PS and gradient removed with DBE.

I'm really a novice with the Lens and my Flats are coming out quite strange, not at all the consistent pattern I get with flats on my scope... Comments welcome!

Your ok, it's widefield.

Regards flats, you could try intial processing in Camera RAW.
Camera RAW has loads of lens profiles that will cure vignetting, chromatic abberrations and easily apply a flatfield.
Follow Tony Hallas's way of processing, if you don't have Registar just use DSS as normal.

Fantastic image. M101 and M51 are tiny and perfect, at a scale rarely seen. They also stand up to zooming in and show a surprising amount of detail and colour. Plenty of other faint fuzzies on there, I'll get out the star atlas later and have some fun identifying them.

Archived