Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Tommohawk

Another Moon Mosaic - 200PDS with Canon EOS550D

Hi All. Looks like lunar mosaics are flavour of the month, so here's my offering.

I haven't done much lunar stuff - more of a DSOer - but clear sky seems to be at a premium so thought I'd give it a go. I'm pretty sure I get blurring at the edges of my full disc lunar shots due to coma, so I wanted to do a mosaic with the SW CC +  3x barlow. But I cant find a way of attaching the barlow to the CC. Any thought welcome.

So instead I used crop mode with no barlow and did a 24 pane mosaic. DSLR settings:  .MOV files of 60sec duration, ISO100, 1/800th sec exposures. 

Processed with PIPP, MS ICE for mosaic composite (bit of fun getting it to align - did it in 2 sub-sections) then Autostakkert (best 10%) , Avistack for wavelets (bit overdone maybe) and PS for autolevels.

Mext move is to repeat with the barlow - so thats 16 panes to each one of the 24 .... ummm, that'll be 16x24 = 384. Maybe not then!

Hope you like it - looks quite nice full size!

MVI_2254_pipp_g2_ap858_stitchRLstitch_pp2v2PS.png

... and the colour corrected one:

MVI_2254_pipp_g2_ap858_stitchRLstitch_pp

Edited by Tommohawk
Colour corrected image posted
  • Like 4

Thanks so much - hey I just found your one. Very nice too, similar scale to mine but maybe makes mine look over-processed. Nice job!

Very nice, very sharp. You might want to change the colour balance a little - it's a bit pinkish ;)

23 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Very nice, very sharp. You might want to change the colour balance a little - it's a bit pinkish ;)

Thanks for that - my colour vision is pants. I've done a colour correct on PS - but cant see how to remove the original image. I can edit and remove the image from the post, but not from the upload area. ANy ideas?

Just looked at the full size image which looks terrific but it has a bit of a pinkish tint. 

Thanks for all the positive comment. I've added the colour corrected version to the original post. I'm often told my images are pink/red - i think it's down to the modded DSLR.... that and my rubbish colour vision.

The lunar eclipse I did looked megared!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By alexbb
      I really hope that I need a single more night to complete my belt to sword 4 panels mosaic in O3 so I can finally put the ASI1600 on my new Esprit 80.
      Meanwhile, I carried where I traveled last 2 weeks the EQ5, the Esprit and a Canon 550D. I also had a chance yesterday to shoot some images with the same setup from home, where the sky is light polluted.
      First image is a total of about 30 mins of 30s unguided exposures with some moon too, but under dark skies + about 30 mins of 90s exposures from home, guided. Some 10s exposures too for the core. Perhaps the focus was not always spot on, the scope is more sensitive than I expected and it shifts quite a lot due to temperature drop.
      Second image contains Ha and O3 data I'm collecting for the mosaic above mentioned, added in a rather small amount.
      Even if I need much more data and the result is far of what I want, I'm pretty pleased with my improvements in time. The third image was taken at Christmas, 2 years ago, at my first or second astrophoto sessions. 102/500 achromat on an Alt-Az mount.
      Clear skies!
      Alex

• By Adaaam75
      Guys and Girls,
      Some basic advice around software please.
      I dont want to choose software that I spend ages learinng and understanding only to find that there is a much more popular/easier/better software program that does the same thing I want but much better. I have learned in the past that this is as time consuming as it is frustrating. There seems to be so many programs out there I'm almost lost!
      I am after a software program that allows me to focus my Canon 550D DSLR via my laptop when being used in prime focus, including focusing and controlling the shutter and exposure times. I do have a programmable remote intervelometer but suspect using a laptop will provide me with more control.
      I am also in the market for a software editing program that allows me to process my images. I am getting the feeling i'll need at least two programs, one for stacking and one for "finishing" the images.
      Registax is one that I hear about regularly but I get the impression it only work with video recordings from webcams (avi. files) or can I import individual images to stack? I understand webcam footage is simply lots of still images but have heard different answers and wonder if you can import images individually rather than video. Alternatively I'd like to know what other options there are for stacking images please.
      I am also considering taking a trial for Lightroom, as I continue to hear positive reviews. What I don't want is to get a free program and then find i am restricted in my options, hence the reason I'm considering Lightroom. Is this a better program for editing or are there other suggestions. The monthly subscription isn't an issue but again, if there are free comparable options i'm listening!
      I have an AVX mount (no guidescope) and plan to use my 550D for some prime focus.
      So I'm after.....
      1) Control my DSLR from the laptop INC live focusing
      2) Stacking software for images not video
      3) Image procesing software

Oh and some clear skies!

• By Astrodancer52
      Hi Guys, been a member for ages but new to posting so hope this is okay.
      I have a canon 550D but it seems unable to shoot video without a lens, obviously stills are fine without one, anyone know of an upgrade or work around please.
      KR.
      Mart.
    • By Gerry Casa Christiana
      Hello
      Maybe this is a silly question but I'm not sure and I thought I would ask you first. I have. Canon 550d which has movie crop mode 640 x 480 but what I wanted to know is can I use this option via APT or do I need to use that manually only. I know on the screen I can select it and then go into planetary mode on APT but does this then default back to the normal video mode and not crop? I'm sure there is a simple answer. 
      Thanks

Gerry

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.