Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Would you build a obsy with a restricted veiw ?

Hi,hope this is in the rigth place,as the title says  my landlord will allow me to build a obsy but i would have a restricted view ie: N,NE and a very restricted SW(Tree) all at about 45 degrees and up to the zenith, do you think it is worth building with these restricions ? at the moment i have to drag the scope and mount down a flight of stairs and set up on my patio a bit of a pain as some nights i cant be bothered even when the mount and tripod are at the door down stairs.my patio has a veiw of polaris N,NE,SE,SW from 30 degrees up but the N NEi have 4 street lights to contend with.So what would you do?

Toni

It's a lot of work.for a restricted view for me. What scope you got pal ? Part of the excitement for me is getting packed up and set off to a dark sky an hour up the road for a good session but I appreciate that's not everyone's cup of tea. What about one of them small lockable metal garden containers and just keep it in that ? It's even just about climatised then too for straight away observing ?

Yes it is worth it.  If it will help you observe, even with those limitations. I say it is worth it.  You clearly make the most of it now, when carrying your stuff up and down constantly.... 

Few of us have an obs in the middle of an open field!!! We all have to compromises - my new OBS as no West view at all and little north view.  And some trees to the south as well.  Just have to make the most of what we have.

I say go for it mate.

I have skywhatcher 130pds on a AVX for imaging and a deforked Meade EX125 + a 210 GSO Dob as for use we have had so much cloud and rain since last september i ve only been out about 5 times in the last 6 months last time i was out i couldnt rember  in what order i had to start the imaging session it was so long ago,the shed  is not a bad idea was also in the back of my mind.It is such a pain to have to bring the mount down then the scope then the laptop and ipad then set up install all the wires, mains,alignment is qiucker now i have the polemaster and starscense,so keepig the scope in a shed would be ok ie with everytihing setup apart from the weights i can carry it out from the shed plonk it down plug in and ready to start alignment.

Toni

Definitely worth it! My view is pretty restricted (perhaps not as much as yours) but not great, however, installing an observatory 10 years ago transformed my opportunities for both observing and imaging, especially the latter. There's very little that can stop you looking UP!

I have views all round but there 30-40' and upwards, i only really use the North to East most of the DSO's that you will image will be going through this area though out the year there are some in the S/SE but there low enough to collect the air pollution as well, give it a go build to suit your views if its NE or there abouts that's the only part that needs to open up build to block the street lamps or ask the council to shade them if there close...

I  sometimes use a tent, to allow my eyes to better accustom themselves to the dark ( I can see direct street lighting without the tent ) or hide in the shadows, but the tent also creates some stability and  shielding from the wind and cold, but this tent  is not secure?  so  a proper  lockable observatory  should be considered, and would be of  benefit to you as the user, and  your equipment.  If you can ensure its safety/security when not in use, and limited skies or not, your still going to have to use your scope in the garden. My views are limited similar to yourself, I can see to the West (best above 50° ( over the street lights)   North at about 70° ( over the Tree and Street light and East about 30°  and  my Zenith.  I have no view of the Southern skies from my main garden without issues.For comfort, security , practicality Go for it!

Point of interest: A refractor could be perfect from within a hide of sorts due to the placement of the focuser, but  not so much fun with a Reflector if you need to stick your head outside!  I  now use an extended snood/dew shield made from camping underlay, which extends the length of the scope slightly, allowing me to keep my head from touching or even close too the tent sides.
Some times a plan in your head will work, but until proven, you wont find out.  I also  have an extra sheet to drape over my tent ( further reducing street light penetration and  providing extra insulation) with an aperture wide enough to allow use of the scope, finder-scope and Telrad if needed. That's still  quite a  bit of faffing about  to get a good light seal when in use, but I can do away with the finders, just poke the scope though the curtain aperture and just use my 32mm Panaview to find my target, happy nights when conditions allow, my session count is low this Year, as detailed?

gallery_31769_2737_161404.jpg

Anything that makes life easier is always worth it! It doesn't have to be a "This'll last forever" type of obsy with tons of concrete and timber strong enough to build ships with. An obsy can be built on a budget; mine was, a secondhand 8'x4' shed sandwiched between 4 fenceposts which used those steel pointy things in the ground. The only major expense would be to use steel channel (much advised) if you plan a sliding roof type.

My obsy has allowed more enjoyment of the hobby even though I have varying restricted views in all directions and is certainly better than dragging out an eq6 and 10" ota every time like I used too.

Hi

If you think you will be living there for a while then yes I would. It does make it easier if you only have to take a box of eyepieces and a few accessories out each evening rather than the scope and mount as well.

When I was a kid my dad helped me build an observatory by converting a garden shed like the one below. It was smaller than this and about the cheapest we could buy, but we took out the windows and the surrounding side from about half way up and made a frame with solid planks that was hinged; so by unlocking a few bolts on the inside it folded out and down to allow me to use my scope. We also put a couple of decent locks on the door rather than the cheap one supplied.

The benefits were it was sheltered on three sides from the wind and I could sit in comfort on a stool I kept in there and it saved me having to move my scope. The downside was it could only face one way, but given we had no view to the west because of big trees that wasn't an issue, we just put it facing east. You can always move the scope out easily enough onto your patio to look in other directions if needed.

My dad still has the shed after 30 years, although it now stores his collection of lawnmowers!

122-184-large[1].jpg

Archived