Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eskimo and Crab Nebulae

Size9Hex

Two nicely placed nebula for a winter evening. Hadn't expected the clouds to clear, so this was a bonus. Both targets observed in a 10inch Dob from near the edge of town, and despite light pollution coming through the gap in my newly blown down garden fence :-(

C39 Eskimo Nebula

No prior knowledge of target. Bright and obvious in averted vision. Circle shaped with soft edge and brighter near centre. Attractive and intriguing object. With direct vision (just) a stellar or almost stellar centre. With difficulty, an impression of the texture of petals circling around the centre. Got mixed up, and thought it was the Owl Nebula (having never seen either, but this was a target I also had on my list, hence my confusion), but correctly failed to convince myself there was anything particularly owl-like about it! Back on track after checking the name and consulting a photo, I intermittently recognised the "petals" as being separated from the central region by a thin darker inner circle although it was partial - I never saw the dark circle as complete. The detachment was perhaps only apparent in the north (towards slightly east of the bright star HD59098 in the same field) and even then it was marginal. After seeing the photo I also wondered if I detected some of the spiky texture radiating out, but this was very brief, and only once - on balance, I'd say no. Observed at 180x but it felt like it might have coped with more.

M1 Crab Nebula

A fascinating object to read about.

Faint patch in averted vision. Less obvious than on some previous sightings, but not as washed out as sometimes. The shape seemed irregular but was hard to pin down. Eventually placed a slight NW to SE oval elongation. Impression of concave sections having been bitten out of the edges, although this observation was possibly influenced by prior knowledge. Attempting to pin something specific down for later confirmation (or not) it felt that the NE side near the northern end was the best candidate with the sharpest teeth marks.

Interesting to compare the notes against others sketches and photos afterwards. It's definitely helping me get a better understating of what I'm looking at, and what it feels like to detect stuff that's right on the edge of perception.

Only a brief break in the weather. Hope everyone else got a break and a chance to get out at some point too.

56 minutes ago, cotterless45 said:

Neat ! You should pick out the central star in the Eskimo easy enough. Being bright it'll take well over x200,

nick.

as nick said the eskimo will take a fair bit of mag but if you have only got the eyepieces in your sig then you may struggle as the 10mm is pretty pants IMHO. 

the crab nebula is a favorite of mine. from a dark site you can start making out filaments just on the edges .

at last you got some time in. ive not had chance to use my new kit yet

Thanks for the replies and the helpful tips everyone. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply and pass on your experience.

I need to update my signature in fact! Although I thought the stock eyepieces weren't bad (albeit after a decent attempt at collimating to tame the behaviour of the 10mm), they did seem lacking in high power. I was using a 6.7mm (180x)  that I've had for a few weeks on the Eskimo. It still felt like it might take more though as it hadn't dimmed out even at 180x. It's nice to hear that's your experience too.

Best of luck with your new kit Daniel - hopefully the weather will be kind to you!

Great Report Paul!

I love the Eskimo neb too, and it can sure be a beautiful object. It does take high mag well, but the best view I have had so far is at 150x/no filter which revealed the 2 tone green of the shells, almost faint bluish green if I remember. Nice very fine structure in the shells, I can stare at this object for hours lol!

I read this report this morning and felt the need to come back.

It's surprising what you are able to see from your home. Your description of the Eskimo Nebula sounds like my experiences under a rural/village sky! I think you definitely need to have a good, dark sky to see the dark 'ring' around the star-like nucleus of the Eskimo Nebula. It's also a tyke to find, as it can blink in and out of your vision!

Nice report, thank you.  :)

2 hours ago, jetstream said:

Great Report Paul!

I love the Eskimo neb too, and it can sure be a beautiful object. It does take high mag well, but the best view I have had so far is at 150x/no filter which revealed the 2 tone green of the shells, almost faint bluish green if I remember. Nice very fine structure in the shells, I can stare at this object for hours lol!

Thanks Gerry! I was a bit surprised/embarrassed when I realised how long I'd been looking at it! Glad I'm not the only one :-)

2 hours ago, Beulah said:

I read this report this morning and felt the need to come back.

It's surprising what you are able to see from your home. Your description of the Eskimo Nebula sounds like my experiences under a rural/village sky! I think you definitely need to have a good, dark sky to see the dark 'ring' around the star-like nucleus of the Eskimo Nebula. It's also a tyke to find, as it can blink in and out of your vision!

Nice report, thank you.  :)

Thanks Beulah

I should emphasise some of these were a real stretch for me, and I wouldn't use the word "seen" as it seems too strong a word to describe it.

The dark ring on the Eskimo only registered maybe 3 to 4 times in 30 minutes (and even then only really at the northern end). I like your description about it blinking in and out. To extend the analogy, it spent most of the session with its eyes shut!

Very nice report! :) I spotted the Eskimo a few times and M1 just one with my tv60 using a UHC filter. It took me a few attempts to spot M1 and it was very very faint, just a tiny soft grey layer separated from the background sky. A gentle little movement of the telescope did the trick for me. The Eskimo was easier between the two and also managed to see it without the aid of a filter. Averted vision of course! 

I really enjoy reading your reports Size9, your descriptions are excellent and it seems your observing skills are developing just fine ??

Best view I had of the Eskimo was at the SGL star party last year in my 16" dob. Lovely stuff!

Very nicely written report. I can just see the Eskimo from my back garden, but have struggled with the crab. From a dark site and with decent seeing they really are a lovely sight and can be observed for long periods searching out the fine detail.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice report and having recently viewed the eskimo from a dark site I can corroborate your report and add that the star in the middle was easily visible.

The blue colour was quite amazing and as you say the structure around it was appearing nicely. 

I will revisit it hopefully soon but I had other targets having such great skies 

Archived