Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Should I swap my EQ5 for a DOB?

I know this is going to divide the community (I don't think I've seen a post yet that doesn't :icon_biggrin: ) but I am debating whether to swap my 200 f/5 on an EQ5 for a 200 f/6 on a DOB?

I've had my Skywatcher Explore 200P EQ5 for about 8 months, when I bought it I had visions of being able to use the dialling circles to find objects, and upgrading it to be motorised so that I can track stars; I thought about the possibility of moving into astrophotography and even bought a t-ring adaptor for my DSLR. My previous scope was a cheap 90mm refractor on a cheap alt-az tripod, so this purchase was a thought out serious upgrade and right on the limit of my budget at the time.

What I have learned in the last six months is this:

• The OTA is a fantastic piece of kit, but ventures into the realms of what I have now discovered to be "fast optics"
  • The dialling circles of the EQ5 are too small to be of any practical use
  • The slow motion controls are great (especially when I changed the knobs over to cables), and can be upgraded to be motorised (at a cost!)
  • The positions that you can find yourself in range from, Nice comfortable stand, through to back breaking and neck twisting agony, via some yoga practice
  • The EQ5 just isn't good enough for AP, and any interest in this has waned especially when I start to look at how much it would cost to actually do it properly
  • It can take a bit of time to set the scope up, and on more than one occasion by the time I had done so, I had to take everything down again
  • I like viewing standing up, and I can do this fairly comfortably now that I have set the EQ at 90 degrees, effectively making it an Alt-Az mount - though this feels a waste of a good EQ mount
  • I enjoy following star charts and hunting for objects, so don't currently have a desire to upgrade to GoTo

Part of me wishes that I had gone for the 200 Skyliner instead, however this was not a desire 8 months ago and I now have 8 months of experience so I am forcing myself not to regret my decision as I still feel that it was the correct one at the time. What I don't have is 8 months of experience using a Dob to categorically state that I prefer one over the other.

However, now that I know all of these things, I think I would state, that if could start again I would go for a dob (and I've read recently that I wouldn't be the only one); but is it worth, at this stage, swapping over for no gain in aperture? I think that for storage and portability reasons I don't yet want to upgrade to a 10".

I would expect that if sold mine and bought 2nd hand, I should be able to raise about £80-100. Where as if I kept mine, I feel that I would want to spend that on motorised slow motion controls to further improve the visual capabilities of the EQ5 (the cables can sometimes be on the other side of the mount to the OTA and if I let them go to harshly, they can ping and lose the object from view)

I don't currently have the funds to co-own 2 scopes, so I would have to see mine BEFORE I purchased a new one, potentially leaving me without any viewing aids until a suitable alternative presented itself (I know there is a suitable candidate on the classifieds at the moment, which is why this internal debate has been fuelled).

Any words of wisdom, 20/20 hindsight, or direct comparisons that will either fire or dampen my inner debate, much appreciated.

Lee

Hi Lee for me if your strictly visual then its a no brainer.  you sound like you've learnt your way around the scope and have enough experience. i would go for the dob for visual if your using a reflector they really are so easy to use over a EQ mount.  

id be tempted to try and stretch for the 250  i know some folk wont agree with me here but 2" does make a difference IMHO.  the only downside to the 200 is the EP is a little low so if you do get a 200 then think about having it on a water butt to make the EP  a little higher.

Dan 

Hi Lee, I think you have laid out an excellent topic/post here.  I really do feel for you on this one - as I went through exactly the same thoughts as you a long time ago - in fact, a very long time ago. I built my set up to an 8" F8 Hinds optics dob - my dad then built me a very substantial EQ mount - it worked an absolute treat, using socket ends and long bars for a set of slo mo controls.  I used this set up for a while and just couldn't get used to keep rotating the tube in the cradle and having to contort to different positions - just like your post!! - don't get me wrong, the tube was absolutely spot on - the optics were probably the best around at the time - especially now, looking back with the fondest of memories - the Shoemaker/Levy Comet crash into Jupiter was just so surreal!!

As with all my scopes I have sold to part fund the next one - I'm purely a visual observer with a very small amount of "Web camming" now and then - my next purchase was a second hand Meade LX90 8" - this scope just about changed every observing session for me - it was just what I needed - such a small and light tube and mount to deal with - set up was a breeze and once aligned, the whole thing was very accurate with the GOTO - under my light polluted skies with the old set up, I was never always sure if I was on target - or was it just the light pollution making the object virtually invisible?? - you get the picture.  After using the SCT for about 5 - 6 years, I sold it to part fund the 1100, to be honest I have never bothered with any other type of scope - I have the 5" Mak which I find excellent for such a small set up to move around - great on white light Solar and a treat on the Moon when time is limited - I've toyed with the idea of a wide field Frac - but I think the views through my Mak are probably on par aperture wise and of course due to my light polluted skies - dare I say it - probably not worth bothering with as I have the resolution I need with the CPC for long focal targets - the major Planets are just about right for me with the CPC - not to every body's taste - but for me - under my sky conditions and location, a very good tool to show me just what's up there!!

Its going to be a very hard choice for you - yes - people can chip in - but you've got to make that decision yourself.

Paul.

I guess building my own dob mount could be a way to go, if I can do it cheaply enough and make it stable with fluid movement. I can then decide if I prefer it over the EQ and make an informed decision.

Good comments Paul, to be honest 8 months ago I'd never heard of a Cassegrain style telescope, only Reflectors and Refractors, so they never entered the equations - maybe for the next one :)

7 hours ago, rockystar said:

I guess building my own dob mount could be a way to go, if I can do it cheaply enough and make it stable with fluid movement. I can then decide if I prefer it over the EQ and make an informed decision.

Good comments Paul, to be honest 8 months ago I'd never heard of a Cassegrain style telescope, only Reflectors and Refractors, so they never entered the equations - maybe for the next one :)

Here is a thread from last year where one of our members created a DIY dobsonian mount for a Skywatcher 10" F/4.7 optical tube. It might give you some ideas :icon_biggrin:

Should you swap an EQ for a Dob?...........Err yes! 
Put simply, EQ's are a right royal PITA for visual observing when coupled with a mid sized newt. You spend half the night fighting against the scope rather than enjoying the night sky.
I used EQ mounted newts for years. Stubbornly refusing to believe that a dob could be better. Oh how wrong was I. The incredible freedom that a dob offered me after an EQ was a breath of fresh air. I think it was the fear of not having tracking that had stopped me for so long. If only I'd known how easy it was to track with a dob I would have slung my EQ in a hedge years before I did.
IMO going to a dob mount is the best upgrade a visual newt user can make. I only wish I'd done it sooner. 

If you can build your own dob mount..........go for it, it's great fun ;)

One last thing, not that I'm trying to tempt you, but the bigger the Dob the nicer they are to use, and you did say you preferred to stand up :evil::evil::evil6:

I wouldn't worry about 'regretting a purchase' after 8 months.

In nearly 2 years now I've gone through 6 or 7 scopes, and use each one as a learning curve or step up to the next. I started with a £50 115mm reflector, now have a £3k 16".

Sell it and get some cash back to put towards the 'upgrade'.

Hi Lee,:happy10:

You remind me of a song - "Regrets, I've had a few". Do not feel daft. I have EQ mounts and wanted a dob. So, I bought a tube (300PDS) and built a Dob base, not pretty but works a treat!

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/221503-not-at-the-finishing-line-but-getting-there/

I am sure it cost me £100, give or take £20. You will get frustration AND enjoyment, as you have built something yourself, and has been said you will have some money left over to spend on EPs:headbang:

Go for it, do not feel you have failed  / made a mistake. If you feel you have made a mistake - learn from it:happy10:

Archived