Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Monster Meade for sale

triton1

Just browsed through the bay and saw a Meade lx200 emc 16 inch for sale 1p at the mo 2 days to go.I've seen one of these and their huge surely getting it off and on the mount must be a two man job maybe that's why the asking price doesn't seem to bad £1400.Mind you I think a observetory would be in order for that beast.

It's a scam. The same scope has been offered on the same terms a few times over the past few days by different sellers. All hacked accounts. These scopes were more than 10x that price when new. If it seems to good to be true ....

Yep, lots of scams out there. Often expensive scopes on at a starting bid of £0.99, then with contact details in the description or images suggesting a price it would sell for. All against eBays rules and clearly a scam.

Some nasty ones just gone on e.bay. Priced at £1 you click on them (not logged in) and you jump to a login screen rather than see the advert. Whats the betting that it's not a genuine e.bay login screen but a scam one ?

Very dodgy I'd say.

These same criminals not only go after astro-people's money - they operate in many other arena's as well. As a bicycle-mechanic, I work in bike-forums. There we get the same sorts of pitch on mega-nice bicycle-for-sale. Worth 10's of 1,000's of $£€'s - selling for 1/10th the true value. We tracked the skunks to Indonesia. Seems to be a "cottage-industry" somewhere out of Jakarta.

"If it seems to be to good....."

You get it!

Dave

18 minutes ago, John said:

Some nasty ones just gone on e.bay. Priced at £1 you click on them (not logged in) and you jump to a login screen rather than see the advert. Whats the betting that it's not a genuine e.bay login screen but a scam one ?

Very dodgy I'd say.

I keep reporting that Tak 130 and it just keeps appearing.....

This may be well known but it's worth repeating, there's a website based in Indonesia called sale-telescopes.com which has conned lots of people. Very convincing website. Among realistic priced gear there are some incredibly cheap offers to draw you in, often on scopes which have a long waiting list everywhere else. It's a scam.

12 hours ago, triton1 said:

So what happens if you win the bid and go to the address in Manchester to pick it up and pay cash,false address,no reply to email,how would they profit?

The con is that want you to pay by direct transfer, not cash or paypal. The telescope doesn't actually exist. This one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Astrophysics-6-f12-Superplanetary-refractor-on-Losmandy-Celestron-G11-mount-/262262541255?hash=item3d1010cbc7:g:NvUAAOSwX~dWqSXt and this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meade-12-LX200-GPS-wUHTC-Coatings-SBIG-CCD-Televue-Nagler-and-Much-More-/262262541168?hash=item3d1010cb70:g:IecAAOSwX~dWqS2S are classic examples of the scam and crop up at regular intervals. The actual ebay shop gets hacked and is filled with expensive items, all being sold for the same price. The "seller" will ask you to contact them directly through a gmail account so ebay cannot trace it. If you "win" you will not see the telescope or your money again. Be warned.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 16:45, triton1 said:

Just browsed through the bay and saw a Meade lx200 emc 16 inch for sale 1p at the mo 2 days to go.I've seen one of these and their huge surely getting it off and on the mount must be a two man job maybe that's why the asking price doesn't seem to bad £1400.Mind you I think a observetory would be in order for that beast.

Hi just reading this listing I saw this on ebay as well, it is a scam because the picture is of the lx200 16 inch I purchased off ebay 2 years ago also there is a celestron c 14 scope on there for £495 and gmail the seller for more pictures,the old saying be aware of too good to be true

On 27/01/2016 at 18:55, ollypenrice said:

I can make neither head nor tail of Ebay and have not the slightest intention of trying to do so. You can buy things properly without any need for this crime-inducing nest of vipers.

Olly

Be careful Olly, that's a bit of a sweeping statement... Its almost like you are implying that everyone who trades on eBay are "Crime-Inducing nest of Vipers".

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 18:55, ollypenrice said:

I can make neither head nor tail of Ebay and have not the slightest intention of trying to do so. You can buy things properly without any need for this crime-inducing nest of vipers.

Olly

I have used E-bay thousands of times as a seller and a buyer, and NEVER had a problem.

Many people are happy with it and have mainly positive experiences, and I have dealt with some very nice people.

Yes some transactions do go wrong, and there is the odd scam, but that is life in general.

I feel it is too easy and  wrong, to verbally trash something over the internet, seems to be a sport nowadays.

I have had dealings with a lot of people on E Bay ,

buying different  items & only has one problem with

one transaction , & that was with a laptop battery.

Got in touch with EBay its self & they refunded

the money.  The site said 98% satisfaction.

That Y I went with it. looking closer there was

loads of complains. The site is still operating.

Based in Hong Kong.  Buyer beware, is the

name of the game, on the Bay.

Steve.

Yes there are some crooks and scammers on ebay, but common sense applies, there are a huge amount of lovely people trading stuff on the bay, i just bought a rather nice Blade 350 qx quadcopter, totally as described, very helpful seller that i am now friends with on FB.

The moment you see "contact me" to pay you just report and walk away

I must admit I do use the bay a lot and have had only one mishap and that was refunded by eBay after a month.I think these scams must work that there is always someone who will pay straight away when they win the bid without thinking of the consequences.

Archived