Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Over the 'Edge'. Blazars Lunarcy.

Blazar

Me again...one of the shots of Tycho....I may find a better example as I go through so might edit this one and remove. Decided I might as well follow CatLuc's example and have one thread for all my images...makes them easier to find I guess. So will start with this one. Tycho from the 19th January. Edge1100, CGEMDX, ASI120mm-s, x2 barlow. Had to crop it down to remove the PIPP artefacts from pre-processing. Captured in OAcapture, processed in PIPP, AS2, RS6 and PS5.

gallery_27945_3180_1200958.png

Thanks for looking.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Forgotten I was going to put my images in one thread! so here is a shot of Petavius from the 25th as well.  The Rimae really shows up quite nicely I think.

Usual scope setup etc...Thanks for looking.

Petavius-20160225-0037382.png

• 4 months later...

Blimey not posted here in ages....mind you the weather has been shocking....so here is the first of a few new ones. This one is Piccolomini and the Rupes Altai. I was trying out the 174 . The seeing was ok wish, though still needed an IRpass (685) to help steady the image (and a x2.5 barlow was too much...so had to settle for a x2. Will post up the others when I finish them. Thanks for looking!

oaCapture-20160723-022324_g3_ap1690rs6ps52.png

Right got another one from the same evening as the image above. This one is of Janssen. The Rille is easily seen within the main crater itself, and the twin parallel mountain chains within Fabricius seem to have some nice detail, as well as the terracing in the walls. 

oaCapture-20160723-014227_g3_ap1328rs6ps52.png

Only just looked here. Really nice work Steve, How long have you had the C11 ? Medium Focal length shots have great processing balance. The Tycho is, the outstanding one for me.

probably because I like high Focal length shots more, as it gets us in closer, And because its more difficult to get them tight with UK seeing. Your processing on the Tycho is lovely and Natural, smooth as they come.

I reckon there might even be more give in the image. But of course what you gain you can sometimes lose by pushing harder. So its just a personal thing that each of us try to get a balance we feel happy with. Would like to see a slightly more pushed version. Looks like it can take it to me.

Regardless, the best shots I have seen from you so far. very impressive. I recently got the ASI290 for this very subject, No lunar first light as yet. As you know middle of August and we should, weather and seeing permitting get a chance. What are you stacking them on ? i am guessing AS/2, How many frames are you stacking roughly ? Do you know the gain you was using on the ASI120

Gain looks to me around 50 60 % from the smoothness of the images. But extra frames can do that too hence the questions.

Once again Nice work Steve, its really good to see your progression has took off. Experience and good equipment make all the difference don't they

On 8 August 2016 at 04:28, neil phillips said:

Only just looked here. Really nice work Steve, How long have you had the C11 ? Medium Focal length shots have great processing balance. The Tycho is, the outstanding one for me.

probably because I like high Focal length shots more, as it gets us in closer, And because its more difficult to get them tight with UK seeing. Your processing on the Tycho is lovely and Natural, smooth as they come.

I reckon there might even be more give in the image. But of course what you gain you can sometimes lose by pushing harder. So its just a personal thing that each of us try to get a balance we feel happy with. Would like to see a slightly more pushed version. Looks like it can take it to me.

Regardless, the best shots I have seen from you so far. very impressive. I recently got the ASI290 for this very subject, No lunar first light as yet. As you know middle of August and we should, weather and seeing permitting get a chance. What are you stacking them on ? i am guessing AS/2, How many frames are you stacking roughly ? Do you know the gain you was using on the ASI120

Gain looks to me around 50 60 % from the smoothness of the images. But extra frames can do that too hence the questions.

Once again Nice work Steve, its really good to see your progression has took off. Experience and good equipment make all the difference don't they

Thanks Neil.  Had the C11 for a little while now. I decided my main focus was lunar and planetary so need a bit more aperture.I might have another go at the Tycho image, but the seeing that night was quite shoddy.  I decided to go for a ZWO174mm as well and the combination is quite nice. They look better on Flcikr to be honest, so might be worth having a look at those as these are not full size. Will look forward to seeing the images from the 290. I am stacking using AS2 at the moment as I still think RS6 is a bit clunky. In terms of frame number. I usually only stack those frames with a quality of 70% or better. if the total number of frames are less than 100, then I don't bother processing it. If I have more than 200 then I increase the quality limit to say 72 or 75% only.  In terms of gain on the 120 I really cannot recall. in terms go gain I try not to  push too far, though with the 174, I can up the gain slightly and lower the exposure to increase the frame rate...so have been experimenting with it (when we actually get some clear skies!).  Im off to LA so will get some clear skies...but my scopes stay home..so might think about renting one when out there. going to see some friends who have a scope and they live out in the desert a bit, so will see how good the skies are. Appreciate the comments and look forward to seeing the images from the new camera. Agree the equipment does help!

Got one here of the Neander fault. Same evening as the last two. Shot that highlights the Neander fault (centre of the shot, quite bright thin line of the upper half of the fault being illuminated). The crater Neander shows its central peak just lower right off centre, with a little detail in the crater walls.The crater itself is around 30 miles in diameter. Edge1100HD, CGEMDX, ZWO174mm IR pass filter.  Took the opportunity to look at the LROC data for the feature as well and its quite interesting to see how the fault cross sections differ over the distance, and how nearby impacts have affected it. full size is on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/128521787@N02/28834278995/in/dateposted-public/

oaCapture-20160723-022107_g3_ap1235rs6ps5.png

• 1 year later...

Blimey  it shows how poor the weather has been....that and no time. Anyway.....I have been going through images from January and found a nice feature. I have had to crop it slightly but needed to try and keep a balance between showing the feature, and the slightly over done processing. It is still a little soft though. 

This is a cropped image to point the viewer towards an interesting feature well worth having a look at. This image was taken back in January this year (5th) and this shot shows the Sun rising over the craters in the South Eastern quadrant (within the Arzachel region). The main craters in view are Purbach (centre..still heavily in shadow)) & Regiomontanus (South of centre, and you can make out Regiomontanus A which is the peak of the wrecked formation). La Caille is at the two o clock position when looking at Purbach, and then you should be able to see the crest line of Delaunay. This is a central ridge within the crater which is high enough to catch the light and cause additional shadowing within the northern part of the crater. Delaunay itself is around 28 miles in diameter, and rises to a height of around 5800ft. Captured using OAcapture, using a ZWO174mm / Mounted on an Edge1100HD / CGEMDX mount. 177 frames were stacked from over 2000. This is a cropped image so is slightly soft. Thanks for looking. Flickr link

Delaunays crest.png

Archived