Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter from Bembridge 20/01 (ASI224MC)

SnakeyJ

Very nice image. It's upside down though ;)

I had my scope out last night as the sky looked absolutely beautiful. The Moon was the best I've ever seen it. Expecting great things, I swung round to Jupiter (which was low as it was only 11pm) and it was wobbling all over the place. Just goes to show the effect on seeing conditions of a low object over houses.

Very nice image. It's upside down though ;)

I had my scope out last night as the sky looked absolutely beautiful. The Moon was the best I've ever seen it. Expecting great things, I swung round to Jupiter (which was low as it was only 11pm) and it was wobbling all over the place. Just goes to show the effect on seeing conditions of a low object over houses.

Cheers - apologies for the casual presentation, but I can assure the community that Jupiter was definitely the right way up when I captured it this morning ;)

The seeing should have been pretty good last night and this morning, though transparency was a little off.    I just managed to catch Mars over the roof tops at 0545hrs, though not stable enough to push the focal length any higher.

Lovely image, a bit later than mine, I was out between 3-4am

regards

Peter

Thanks Peter - I wish I'd got out that bit earlier, it was a lovely morning :)

Nice capture Jake! Looks a tad green on my screen but good detail. Have you ordered one of the zwo ADCs?

Thanks Stuart - still not had a chance to look at this one properly, though agree with the green tint on my work PC monitor.   Also rather over sharpened for Europa and Io, which would benefit from a masking in from a less agressive wavelet sharpening.   It's good to get out after so many missed chances - though not having an observatory and having to set up and tear down is becoming a real PITA that I will have to address as/when things settle down.

I badly want the ZWO ADC and the price is fantastic, but I'm struggling to manage four days a week in work around hospital commitments.    I'm also buying the house we've been renting for the last year, as we need a secure/static base and will have to make some adaptations for Sophie.     I may not have it in time for this Jupiter opposition, but sure to happen in the not too distant ;)

Excellent capture the ASI224mc is so tempting! What programme do you use to frame your images?

Thanks Pete, I use Imagemagic, which is distributed by Torsten with firecapture. It copies the session details in automatically from the Fc capture database - though you have some discretion to edit.

Excellent to see you out and imaging again Jake.

I respect your dedication in setting up and putting away each session. I just couldn't go back to those days.

Are you still on the IOW?

Regards, Lee

Cheers Lee - still in Bembridge, but moved house last March losing my observatory in the process.    Though provided the mortgage is approved, I think we've just brought our current house so might get the observatory project back on the go once things settle a bit.   Might even allow the luxury of a warm room ;)

Out of interest, did you use the 224 as is or with an IR cut filter? I've recently aquired a 224 with an IR cut filter but am wondering about the difference the filter will make.

Peter

I'm using my Baader CCD L filter, as a posh UV/IR Cut filter.   I've still got the SX FW in the image train and have also experimented with the PP742 for IR with this sensor, which works rather well.   I've also got a W47 and IR-CUT to try on Venus one of these mornings.

Archived