SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Are there any high-end makes of 'scopes?

I'm aware of brands like Skywatcher, Celestron, Orion, Discovery, Meade (half of which seem to be owned by the same companies). Are there any 'high end' telescope manufacturers that are considered a cut above those mentioned, or are those it?

If there are, what differentiates them - primarily quality of optics or anything else?

Don't forget William Optics and Astro-physics inc. 

They are set apart because of their:

- High optical quality for any given unit. Two 'identical' telescopes from a lower budgets manufacturer may vary in their optical quality but with the higher end stuff has better quality control. That said, there's always the odd horror story!

- High quality focusers, finish and accessories (such as carry cases, tube rings...etc).

- Prestige. As with all things, I good brand name commodes higher prices!

Despite this, the lower price range manufacturers are now producing some excellent kit (such as the Skywatcher Equinox refractors) that do compete with the higher end scopes.

Hope this helps!

Thanks guys.

Interestingly, looking at a few quickly, Takahashi and Stellarvue don't seem too much of a price premium over the other makes. They also seem to focus much more on refractors.

Orion Optics UK - I like the look of their carbon fibre 'scopes - look like serious business!

Thanks guys.

Interestingly, looking at a few quickly, Takahashi and Stellarvue don't seem too much of a price premium over the other makes...

Takahashi 100 D = £1,800 approx

Skywatcher ED100 = £600 approx

That seems like quite a difference to me !

I've never thought of Stellarvue or William Optics as premium scopes really. Not in the Takahashi / Astro Physics league anyway  :icon_scratch:

I like "premium" views but it's not necessary to buy a "premium" scope to get them IMHO. I would say that Skywatchers ED series is an example of this, my SW120ED would give some more expensive refractors a nice challenge I think, this scope will go at least 55x aperture in good conditions. :hiding:

There have been some rumors/reports of premium 4" refractors going 500x mag or more....I personally don't believe this, at least not keeping a sharp image at that level. :help:

That being said I still want a TEC 140... :icon_biggrin:

Archived