NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Online courses

scotttumsh

Hi im currently doing an online course on Orion through the open university, really enjoying doing this as i have never thought of doing it before. also giving me somthing to do while still laid up and rubbish skies at the moment as well. think i could get used to the studying again. anyway great fun and usefull. clear skies to all.

I'm also doing the above course, it looks really well put together. I've done the first week and learnt lots already. Highly recommended, the course is called "In the night sky: Orion" and can be accessed via the Future Learn website. 

In the Night Sky: Orion

It's free and there is a very good star wheel to download and construct.

Its on futurelearn.com the one im doing is Orion its fairly basic it started last week, think you can still do it now.there is loads of diiferent courses to try, i stumbled on it myself, its giving me something to do so yeah im enjoying it.

just joined  ;)

I did another one a while back (on moons) They are fun and a great way to improve your knowledge...

Thanks for the heads up :)

Great idea. I've taken five distance learning astronomy courses and thought they were life-changing. In my own field I also taught adult courses fairly regularly and, believe me, adults are the best students! In a sense I still do teach adults in that I take people through the imaging process. It's tempting to think that education might be wasted on the young. (A lot of mine was wasted on me, at any rate...)

Olly

Both courses are well worth doing, the Moons course being the longer of the two. The Moons course was a bit of a curates egg in that some students found it dipped too deeply into mineralogy and was heavily science-orientated. I personally would have found the course more engaging if it had involved some practical observing of the Moon. Also as our knowledge of the moons in the solar system improves I expect a lot of the information in the course will need rewriting/updating. I found that most of the course videos worked on a Win 7 pc and android tablet. The course notes are of excellent quality. The weekly tests were more a test of reading ability and a person, for example not having English as a first language might struggle with comprehension.

The course (as was) appeals more to the scientifically orientated student and only too quickly covers the sociological and spiritual aspects of our own Moon and misses inserting many interesting social and media aspects that would widen the courses appeal to more prospective students. For example, in Week 4 they could give references for students to read/listen to important books, films and radio programmes to show how people have been fascinated by the Moon in decades past. I would therefore recommend anyone reading, "The First Men in the Moon" by HG Wells (1901) and the film of 1964; and also to watch the films, "A Trip to the Moon/Le Voyage dans la Lune" by Georges Melies (1902) and, "Frau Im Mond" by Fritz Lang (1929) which incidentally shows the use of a sectional stage rocket, upright transfer of rocket to launch pad, Luna set design and the 10,9,8... suspense building countdown sequence  which were all later faithfully adopted into the American space programme. There is also a timeless BBC radio series from the 1950's to listen too called, "Journey to the Moon/Operation Luna". The course could also have explored robotic v manned future missions back to the Moon, the commercial exploitation of the Moon, the future of international space collaboration-a future race to the Moon and Mars and the social controversy surrounding the Apollo missions in the 1960-70's.

Nonetheless an excellent course which I would recommend people take and enjoy.

Regards,

Steve

I'm on the Orion course too.   Whilst aimed at a beginner level IMHO there's still sufficient stuff in there for more seasoned astronomy enthusiasts to enjoy.

The Moons course, which I did last year, is decidedly more meaty and I learned a lot on that, particularly about geology which was entirely new to me.

I've done a few other FutureLearn courses and they vary considerably in complexity and it can be difficult to determine if they'll match your expectations, but as they're free there's nothing to stop you dropping out early if the course turns out to be too easy or too difficult.

I would also recommend the Gravity course, which was superb and if you fancy taking your brain on a mathematical assault course, try Cracking Mechanics (though it is sufficiently well structured that you can get a lot out of the course without working through every maths exercise).

I'm signed up for next month's Higgs Boson course which apparently is another brain exploder.

• 1 month later...
On 13/01/2016 at 15:26, scotttumsh said:

I think the Higgs Boson course and the physics involved would totally frazzle my brain i think! although this course is great fun i have to say. will definitely keep my eye open for other courses.

I've done Orion, Moons, Gravity, and Higgs Boson with Futurelearn - got something from all of them.  The HB one was probably the most demanding, but I like a challenge!  

Don't forget there are also lots of OU Openlearn units on aspects of astronomy, and other subjects.  They are at varying levels, and again, all free.  

Doug.

Archived