Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Andyb90

Rosette Nebula possible in 10 inch Dob?

That's good going Sam :)

I've seen it once with my 20" but it was very tough from the south east

• Like 2

Great info everyone, thanks for bringing up the Cone nebula, I've started the pursuit of this one recently...nothing yet. Fingers crossed! Glad some one has seen it, this is inspiring :smiley: 

Cone Nebula is on my 'aspirational' list, I believe that a UHC filter favours this.

• Like 2

I've seen the Cone nebula with 10 inch dob and UHC filter in Norfolk under moderate skies, NELM 4-6.

So those with 10 inch at least have a chance :).

Tatyana

Edited by Helix
  • Like 1

Uh,oh...I just read its harder than the HH, the actual cone that is, seems as if its a dark cone shaped notch in the surrounding weak area of nebulosity...

• Like 2

Uh,oh...I just read its harder than the HH, the actual cone that is, seems as if its a dark cone shaped notch in the surrounding weak area of nebulosity...

Yeah. like I said tough :)

• Like 1

Yeah. like I said tough :)

:icon_biggrin:  Your post made me look it up to try to understand why I havn't been able to see it...now I know why :grin: I ain't done trying yet though...new strategy...

Thanks for the hint Steve!

• Like 2

The cone is in the fox fur nebula, large and diffuse, much less defined than the rosette or flame. Probably a bit like the elephant trunk in ic1396... The nebula is part one... Seeing the absence of nebula is the real pain! Also looks to be quite small... Much like the horsey.

Must make a note to hunt it down next time I am using a big enough scope.

Cheers

Peter

• Like 2

Hi Guys, I'm a bit late to the party on this one however I think my question applies. I would like to image the rosette, is this possible with an unguided 10" Dobsonian? I'm in slightly light polluted skys and have a T3i canon. Any suggestions would be helpful thank you.

Pickers

Try asking in the imagers section..you'll  probably get a better answer. 

I would have said not as the nebula is faint unless your dob  is on a motorised go to mount and even then it’ll be a challenge. 

If it’s not a motorised mount I don’t think you’ll get long enough subs for it to show.

It`s  taken me years to see the Rosette and i finally napped it last week, one of those dream nights with near perfect sky conditions and a OH111 filter. DES

On 05/02/2019 at 03:47, dannybgoode said:

I would have said not as the nebula is faint unless your dob  is on a motorised go to mount and even then it’ll be a challenge. 

If it’s not a motorised mount I don’t think you’ll get long enough subs for it to show.

Cheers for the response I appreciate it. I thought as much, wishful thinking though Haha. It would be good to see a list of possible DSOs imaginable with a 10" Dob non guided! I may put that to the imaging section to see if I can get a list started.

The Rosette isn't that hard with an OIII filter, though obviously the darker your skies and the larger the aperture the better.  I've got a 12" Dob in skies that aren't that fantastic, and I've managed it a fair few times, but have always needed the OIII filter to do so...  I just look for the recognisable central cluster, then I find slowly panning around the area really helps to pick out the mottled nebulosity surrounding it.  Once you've seen it, that elusive doughnut is easier to find next time...